Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are a "right winger," would you like to abolish all universities in the US?
Yes 4 4.44%
No 86 95.56%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:34 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And I will answer your question again, I have no interest in doing the research for you. If you want to know that answer you will have to research it yourself.
In other words, you have nothing to back up your claim that he's wrong, but you're going to say he's wrong anyway.

Par for the course around here.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:35 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes i do, and the federal government should still STAY OUT of the student loan market. the feds have little reason to be providing financial aid to college students, except perhaps for the military academies.
Having a well educated and working populace isn't a reason?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:37 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
In other words, you have nothing to back up your claim that he's wrong, but you're going to say he's wrong anyway.

Par for the course around here.
Is it?

...Those damn student loans!

http://cdn.bridgemi.com/wp-content/u...c-Reversal.jpg

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-28-2014 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Some of the laboratory science majors might disagree with this notion. Labs, with all of the necessary tools, etc, are hard to set up at home.
You are quite right. I'm sure there are a number of things that can't just be done at home. You might have drive across town or something. But keeping the university in place in its entirety just to accommodate the tiny minority of subjects that cannot be studied alone at home? Which would you rather do: Pay $50,000 per year in tuition or pool resources with others in your community or area to create the requisite laboratory? Let's say there are 50 people. They'd be spending $2.5 million per year in tuition, so $10 million total for them to get their four year degrees. Spend less than $5 million on a lab and you're saving money. Then you just have to maintain and update the lab and it's available to others in the area pretty much indefinitely. The economics keeping universities around for your example don't add up.

The university is something that we've thoroughly enwrapped in our culture. I don't envision universities dying out anytime soon. But they are a lot less useful than they once were. Everything that universities do could be done cheaper and more conveniently without them. I can't think of any exceptions.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Having a well educated and working populace isn't a reason?
while a well educated and working populace is desirable, it is NOT the purview of the federal government to be financing education, that is the purview of the states. the costs of college was far lower in years past when the feds were not running the financial end of things, and people got along quite nicely without having to run up $25,000+ student loan debt to pay for college. we also got along quite well without the federal government requiring silly social programs be instituted by primary and secondary education administrators as well. it is the federal government that has mucked up the education system in this country, give it back to the states, and get the damn feds OUT of education, and lets get back to actually teaching the children of the country.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
You are quite right. I'm sure there are a number of things that can't just be done at home. You might have drive across town or something. But keeping the university in place in its entirety just to accommodate the tiny minority of subjects that cannot be studied alone at home? Which would you rather do: Pay $50,000 per year in tuition or pool resources with others in your community or area to create the requisite laboratory? Let's say there are 50 people. They'd be spending $2.5 million per year in tuition, so $10 million total for them to get their four year degrees. Spend less than $5 million on a lab and you're saving money. Then you just have to maintain and update the lab and it's available to others in the area pretty much indefinitely. The economics keeping universities around for your example don't add up.

The university is something that we've thoroughly enwrapped in our culture. I don't envision universities dying out anytime soon. But they are a lot less useful than they once were. Everything that universities do could be done cheaper and more conveniently without them. I can't think of any exceptions.
The online/local community based model of higher education is being tested in the free market now. Personally, I think the traditional college model is around to stay but time will tell.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:51 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Market Distortion Definition | Investopedia

The government provides additional capital into the grocery market which increases demand. With higher demand comes higher prices. Same with higher education.
People being able to afford to eat is considered increasing demand. Good to know. shipping costs have more of an effect on food costs than SNAP.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:53 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
How ridiculous. What a silly game you are playing. You know exactly what the issue is. Can you ever be intellectually honest with yourself and others on this board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you want to regulate what professors say? Doesn't that go against freedom of speech?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
You response to the statement about federal aid causing costs to skyrocket.

So basically, you want to spout little quips about statements and then, when asked why, you refuse to answer? Just say it then. That it's your own uninformed opinion with no basis in fact. That you don't want to know the truth, you just want to argue a liberal viewpoint, no matter if it has a basis in fact or not. I've looked at the costs of college and I've seen the way it skyrocketed once the federal government made getting student loans easy and plentiful. So, should I expect another quip in response from you without any actual evidence to backup your statement? I suspect so.

Rising Tuition Costs and the History of Student Loans
So basically you think we should go back to a country where less than 5% of Americans had a college degree. Further proving my point.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes i do, and the federal government should still STAY OUT of the student loan market. the feds have little reason to be providing financial aid to college students, except perhaps for the military academies.
I disagree, I wouldn't have been able to go to college if it wasn't for federal student loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies