Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 09:15 AM

22,193 posts, read 19,476,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Getting Nervous?
More Than 200 Dead People Shown to Have Voted in NY County Elections: Report | NBC New York
More than 6,000 dead people are registered to vote in Nassau County and records show about 270 of them actually voted after their deaths, according to a Newsday analysis of voter registration and federal death records.

Most were shown to have died before Election Day, but after they sent in their Absentee ballots. This isn't some small county we are talking about (I live here), Nassau has approx 1.35 million people, and 965,000 registered voters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It has been proven to disenfranchise people, and I see HistorianDude just provided the proof to you, yet I expect you to keep denying facts in your desperate attempt to violate the Constitution and swing elections you couldn't otherwise win.

Got it.
Just curious...do feel like it's ok for illegals to vote?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
No. But we have no evidence that they're doing so in any statistically meaningful way.

In fact, of all the occurrences I've read about where one or two people voted fraudulently (out of millions), it was NOT a Hispanic person.

Next question?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:
You have no idea and neither do I. If a police officer doesn't turn on his radar, it doesn't mean nobody is speeding. We could try to estimate it by the number of wrecks that resulted, but that's not a good estimate. A person at the polls could let ten people in a row vote that were voting as someone else. We would never know. We might accidentally find out if they voted as a dead person and we caught that.
Well, there's a couple of practical and useful things you could do to start addressing this, which would ultimately result in the real cases of voter fraud standing out. It's important to note that voter roll anomalies, of which there are many, are not in themselves voter fraud. Voter fraud can only occur if a fraudulent vote is actually cast.

It's been known for a long time that the voter rolls are not clean. But it takes money to clean them up. So you need to start lobbying your legislature to provide the funds to clean them up. Note that this does not remotely call up Constitutional issues, would not incur partisan fighting, and would probably not be as expensive as instituting a new law enforcement arm and courts specializing in voter fraud. (And yes, voter fraud cases would require specialization, wherever these cases would be prosecuted in your state - just like traffic cases, torts, worker's comp, and murder. This is, after all, challenging one of the most basic rights any citizen has.)

In most, if not all, states, it is the Secretary of State's office that maintains the voter rolls. Here are some obvious actions that a SoS could undertake if s/he had authorization and funding from the legislature:

1) When a voter moves, whether instate or outofstate, drivers will change their address on their driver's license, and a database tracks that. Run that database against the voter roll.

2) When a voter dies, a database tracks that. Run that database against the voter roll.

3) Hire a couple of investigators, whose job is to sort out confusing cases. For instance, multiple John Smiths born on the same day.

For info specific to your state, contact your SoS office, and find out what they are already doing to clean the rolls, and what they would like to do if they could get authorization/funding. There is also a national organization of Secretaries of State, which has been discussing this issue for at least a couple decades, and proposing solutions.

Be sure to keep us posted on what you're doing.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:27 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post

I have not met up with anyone who is in favor of allowing those in the country illegally to vote. I personally think that the 'illegals' tend to not draw attention to themselves by going to polling places, or even to banks and such.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:30 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,275,696 times
Quote:
No. But we have no evidence that they're doing so in any statistically meaningful way.

In fact, of all the occurrences I've read about where one or two people voted fraudulently (out of millions), it was NOT a Hispanic person.

Next question?

Why even bring up Hispanic? Where in my comment did I equate illegals with Hispanic??? I'm referencing anyone here illegally.

So, if your against them voting, are you against showing ID?

Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,879,539 times
Quote:

Next question?
And if we disenfranchise many thousands of legitimate voters in order to catch those one or two fraudulent voters, well, that's just the price of democracy in GOPland...

Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Translation: Don't bug me with the actual evidence.

Nope.

I looked at what was posted, some, and it was slanted research which was used to validate the theoretical arguments. I provided an actual example where steps were taken to ensure there was no disenfranchisement and it was still claimed by people with the same theories as those that did this research. Care to comment on that? Just to refresh your memory on the example I used, here it is:

Quote:
my state offered free voter id to anyone and free transportation to get the id and there were complaints about people being disenfranchised.
Please point out where the disenfranchisement lies in that plan.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:47 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Voter fraud likely isn’t as “rare” as most would have you believe. We demand government issued photo ID’s for many (often less important) tasks than choosing our governmental leadership. There is usually no debate over requiring ID for these purposes.

We should err on the side of caution. While voting is a constitutional right, as a side note, would anyone really try to argue though that a government issued photo ID should not be required to purchase a firearm or else their second amendment rights would be infringed?

Does any voter identification statute specify that it applies only to Blacks and Latinos?
Aren’t there some 12 million illegal immigrants in this country right now? I am certain that number of votes cast for Obama would sway the election in his favor.
How do you think Obama got elected?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Nope.

I looked at what was posted, some, and it was slanted research which was used to validate the theoretical arguments. I provided an actual example where steps were taken to ensure there was no disenfranchisement and it was still claimed by people with the same theories as those that did this research. Care to comment on that? Just to refresh your memory on the example I used, here it is:

Please point out where the disenfranchisement lies in that plan.
What is required to get that ID? If you don't have it, how much does it cost to get? Who reimburses working stiffs who have to take off work to go to wherever you get the ID?

Yes, yes, I know the standard response to this is "They SHOULD have their birth certificate. I have mine!!!!"

Or "It's not that big of a deal … because I say so."

What else have you got to prove it's not a burden to the poor, the elderly and young people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies