Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 11:00 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I feel if people can afford a car, cell phone, a tv they can afford a drivers license or ID.

Better yet how about getting a taxpayer funded program in place to provide free identification to all US citizens. Let’s get this program to also pay for assistance to be provided in getting the required supporting documents – transportation, copies of birth certificates, notaries for notarized affidavits, etc. Whatever it takes.
Ah! The National ID! Senator Rand Paul is against such:

PAUL: Blocking the pathway to a national ID - Washington Times

As Senator Paul said:

"Forcing Americans to carry around an identification care to affirmatively prove citizenship offends our basic concept of freedom".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:01 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
An actual example is asking you to point out the problem is laws as they roll out.
And since we all both know mere anecdotes are worthless as evidence, I've already done better by providing you with more than three dozen research publications that answer exactly that question.

Why are you running away from them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr
I did look at some of your studies but no, I was not going to go through all of that.
The fact that you are too slothful to understand the actual research regarding a subject you insist on pretending to understand does not obligate me to hold your hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr
Is there one you would like to point to that would address my question about free id and free transportation?
Since you are allergic to real research, perhaps something a little less academically challenging will help.

Study finds costs associated with voter IDs - The Washington Post

Old 05-02-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I feel if people can afford a car, cell phone, a tv they can afford a drivers license or ID.
"Affording" the ID is only part of the barriers these laws create for otherwise eligible voters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC
Better yet how about getting a taxpayer funded program in place to provide free identification to all US citizens. Let’s get this program to also pay for assistance to be provided in getting the required supporting documents – transportation, copies of birth certificates, notaries for notarized affidavits, etc. Whatever it takes.
The costs associated with creating such a system are huge, and in return there is essentially no pay-off whatsoever. It would be a vast expenditure to (allegedly) solve an imaginary problem.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Heard of welfare?
As a matter of fact, yes. I have.

What does that have to do with voting?

Old 05-02-2014, 11:10 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

As Senator Paul said:

"Forcing Americans to carry around an identification care to affirmatively prove citizenship offends our basic concept of freedom".
While at the same time supporting Voter ID laws.
Say what you will about Paul but at least he's consistently inconsistent.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:10 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And since we all both know mere anecdotes are worthless as evidence, I've already done better by providing you with more than three dozen research publications that answer exactly that question.

Why are you running away from them?

The fact that you are too slothful to understand the actual research regarding a subject you insist on pretending to understand does not obligate me to hold your hand.

Since you are allergic to real research, perhaps something a little less academically challenging will help.

Study finds costs associated with voter IDs - The Washington Post
From your link:

“We found the ability to get documents isn’t that simple. The documents are costly for many, many voters and there are serious transportation barriers for many voters. We just found really significant problems.”

People that did not get ID were still to be allowed to vote with their identification verified later.
Free transportation was provided.

"the Brennan Center report found nearly half a million eligible voters in the 10 states do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office."

"Voters who do not have their birth certificates or marriage licenses may have to pay additional costs because those documents are required to obtain a photo ID in some cases."

Again, they were still to be allowed vote with verification later.

Your link is about the problems that exist before someone who isn't so easily stumped actually puts a brain to work and figures out a remedy, but the claims do not account for the actual remedies put in place.

Last edited by Rggr; 05-02-2014 at 11:28 AM..

Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
From your link:

“We found the ability to get documents isn’t that simple. The documents are costly for many, many voters and there are serious transportation barriers for many voters. We just found really significant problems.”

People that did not get ID were still to be allowed to vote with their identification verified later.

"the Brennan Center report found nearly half a million eligible voters in the 10 states do not have access to a vehicle and live more than 10 miles from their nearest state ID-issuing office."

"Voters who do not have their birth certificates or marriage licenses may have to pay additional costs because those documents are required to obtain a photo ID in some cases."

Again, they were still allowed to be allowed vote with verification later.

Your link is about the problems that exist before someone who isn't so easily stumped actually puts a brain to work and figures our a remedy, but the claims do not account for the actual remedies put in place.
The argument that because you can figure something out, get the time off work, or afford something is irrelevant.

Just because you think someone should do something, doesn't mean squat legally or constitutionally. I find it most puzzling that you haven't grasped this yet.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:14 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
While at the same time supporting Voter ID laws.
Say what you will about Paul but at least he's consistently inconsistent.

Oddly inconsistent indeed. Your link states in part:

"Paul did say that he supports voter ID efforts as a minimal standard and noted that you have to present an ID to enter government offices"

You certainly do not need an ID to enter the Federal building where I work. I show an ID (as an employee), but that is to avoid going through the x-ray machine.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

As Senator Paul said:

I'm actually in favor of a National Voter ID Card if it's done right. So many other countries do it because they feel ID to vote is important. Of course, I'm not a libertarian, I'm a conservative. To me, this would solve several problems, including the problems at the registration point where many states do not require people to prove citizenship. With National Voter ID, people would be providing proof of citizenship and identity all in one.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
The argument that because you can figure something out, get the time off work, or afford something is irrelevant.

Just because you think someone should do something, doesn't mean squat legally or constitutionally. I find it most puzzling that you haven't grasped this yet.
Okay, then don't. Show up and vote as allowed and your identity will be verified later through other means - as the law allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies