Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,088,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Nope.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr
I looked at what was posted, some, and it was slanted research which was used to validate the theoretical arguments. I provided an actual example where steps were taken to ensure there was no disenfranchisement and it was still claimed by people with the same theories as those that did this research.
You provided an anecdote. Worse, (and ignoring that the plural of anecdote is not data) your anecdote not only fails to challenge the research I pointed you too, it agrees with that research completely. You would have known that had you actually "looked at what was posted, some." But apparently, you did not bother.

I provided you with dozens of scientific, data based research papers. You can pretend all you want that they are "slanted" if that makes you feel better. Your problem is that if were merely a case of "slanted research" you should be able to come up with a comparable bibliography of research supporting your position as well.

I'll wait.

Quote:
Care to comment on that? Just to refresh your memory on the example I used.
Sure. Had you really looked at the research, you would have not offered the facts that the IDs are free or that transportation was provided as somehow ameliorating the actual situation. They don't. The costs associated with complying with a Voter ID law are far more extensive than just the cost of the ID or transportation to get it.

And in the end, it doesn't solve any real problems anyway.

Quote:
Please point out where the disenfranchisement lies in that plan.
I could link again to the research, but you've already shown you have no intention of reading it.

You know where to go if you change your mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
Just curious...do feel like it's ok for illegals to vote?
Nobody in this thread has said they feel like it's okay for illegals to vote.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Nobody in this thread has said they feel like it's okay for illegals to vote.
Ah yes, but you and I both knew that such a question and/or accusation would turn up eventually. It always does on these threads.

You could set your watch by these people.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:33 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,673,111 times
Quote:

And Voter ID would do nothing to end it, or enhance our ability to measure it.
Based on what validation?

Quote:
We absolutely know how big the problem is.

It is vanishingly tiny.
Based on what study?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:34 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Yep.

You provided an anecdote. Worse, (and ignoring that the plural of anecdote is not data) your anecdote not only fails to challenge the research I pointed you too, it agrees with that research completely. You would have known that had you actually "looked at what was posted, some." But apparently, you did not bother.

I provided you with dozens of scientific, data based research papers. You can pretend all you want that they are "slanted" if that makes you feel better. Your problem is that if were merely a case of "slanted research" you should be able to come up with a comparable bibliography of research supporting your position as well.

I'll wait.

Sure. Had you really looked at the research, you would have not offered the facts that the IDs are free or that transportation was provided as somehow ameliorating the actual situation. They don't. The costs associated with complying with a Voter ID law are far more extensive than just the cost of the ID or transportation to get it.

And in the end, it doesn't solve any real problems anyway.

I could link again to the research, but you've already shown you have no intention of reading it.

You know where to go if you change your mind.
An actual example is asking you to point out the problem is laws as they roll out. I did look at some of your studies but no, I was not going to go through all of that. Is there one you would like to point to that would address my question about free id and free transportation?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
An actual example is asking you to point out the problem is laws as they roll out. I did look at some of your studies but no, I was not going to go through all of that. Is there one you would like to point to that would address my question about free id and free transportation?
I feel if people can afford a car, cell phone, a tv they can afford a drivers license or ID.

Better yet how about getting a taxpayer funded program in place to provide free identification to all US citizens. Let’s get this program to also pay for assistance to be provided in getting the required supporting documents – transportation, copies of birth certificates, notaries for notarized affidavits, etc. Whatever it takes.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Based on what validation?

Based on what study?
I can keep posting it just as often as you guys keep trying to ignore it.

The Truth About Voter Fraud | Brennan Center for Justice

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,265,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I feel if people can afford a car, cell phone, a tv they can afford a drivers license or ID.

Better yet how about getting a taxpayer funded program in place to provide free identification to all US citizens. Let’s get this program to also pay for assistance to be provided in getting the required supporting documents – transportation, copies of birth certificates, notaries for notarized affidavits, etc. Whatever it takes.
It doesn't matter how you "feel."

It's unconstitutional to impose a cost or an unreasonable burden on a citizen to vote. Period.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
It doesn't matter how you "feel."

It's unconstitutional to impose a cost or an unreasonable burden on a citizen to vote. Period.
Heard of welfare?

Old 05-02-2014, 10:55 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
What is required to get that ID? If you don't have it, how much does it cost to get? Who reimburses working stiffs who have to take off work to go to wherever you get the ID?

Yes, yes, I know the standard response to this is "They SHOULD have their birth certificate. I have mine!!!!"

Or "It's not that big of a deal … because I say so."

What else have you got to prove it's not a burden to the poor, the elderly and young people?
It's free. Working stiffs can go on a lunch break. Those without ID were still to be allowed to vote with their identification verified later through other means.

It is a small burden, they have to do something. I had to do it too - only I had to pay for it and get myself there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies