Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
He didn't say that. He didn't say that the First Amendment "only protects Christians." He said nothing of the sort, and nothing even close to that.

What he said was that the word "creator" in the Declaration if Independence refers to the God of the Holy Scriptures, and he is correct.

There isn't anything that he said in this video that is not correct. Not one thing. Anyone who thinks he is not correct does not know our history, or from where our laws have been derived (he correctly mentions Blackstone, and the English Common Law).

As for the First Amendment, it was included to protect the church from the government, not the other way around. "Separation of church and state" is only a metaphor, derived from a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to the Danbury Baptists. The phrase has been incorrectly interpreted and used to change the meaning of the First Amendment altogether. But a study of our founding, our Constitution, and the writings of our founders reveals that no such "separation" (as it is interpreted today) was ever intended or envisioned.

The founders sought to prevent the "establishment" of one religious sect (Christian) by the government as the "official" state religion. Since virtually all of the colonists in all of the colonies were Christians of one sect or another, it is highly unlikely that the founders in the writing of the First Amendment had anything other than the Christian religion in mind. Judge Moore makes this point as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=ZY8xf1uJOqI
You're partly right, more right than the HuffPost headline and article. Moore said nothing about freedom of speech, the press, or assembly --- all in the 1st Amendment --- protecting only Christians.

You're wrong about the Amendment's establishment and free exercise of religion clause applying to only Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 07:10 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The founders of the constitution used the general term creator rather than specific references for a very good reason, they were well aware of other religions and understood that the world would change over time. They wanted to avoid religious references in government but Moore seems to think he knows better, the last person we need making these statements is a judge. He should keep his views to himself he is there to interpret the law not make decisions based on his religious views, I doubt if others would be comfortable appearing before him.
Can you tell me where you find such an interpretation? I would be interested to learn where you read that they wanted to "avoid religious references in government." No such interpretation is in my Constitution course. Such ideas are an invention of the Progressive movement, which is does not accept the founders views of "natural law" and "natural rights."

What do you think they meant by "... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of natures God entitle them ..." ? Do you not think that they were referring to the God of the universe? The God of the Holy Scriptures? As believers, they would have understood that there is no other God. "Before me no God was formed, nor will there be one after me." (Isaiah 43:10)

What other religions were they "well aware of" which they were concerned about protecting? Do you think they were concerned with Buddhism? Do you think they were concerned about those who worshiped pagan idols?

There was only one God they recognized, and that is the God of the Scriptures. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Discernment means the ability to judge well. If he is a birther, he definitely lacks discernment.

As for being able to make it through law school, Birther Queen Orly Taitz is a lawyer, too. Dumb as a box of rocks.

I rest my case.
You have no case.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Can you tell me where you find such an interpretation? I would be interested to learn where you read that they wanted to "avoid religious references in government." No such interpretation is in my Constitution course. Such ideas are an invention of the Progressive movement, which is does not accept the founders views of "natural law" and "natural rights."

What do you think they meant by "... to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of natures God entitle them ..." ? Do you not think that they were referring to the God of the universe? The God of the Holy Scriptures? As believers, they would have understood that there is no other God. "Before me no God was formed, nor will there be one after me." (Isaiah 43:10)

What other religions were they "well aware of" which they were concerned about protecting? Do you think they were concerned with Buddhism? Do you think they were concerned about those who worshiped pagan idols?

There was only one God they recognized, and that is the God of the Scriptures. The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
The US government was not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Why is he even allowed on the bench, why can't they remove him since he has already demonstrated his bias.

Alabama Chief Justice Thinks The First Amendment Only Protects Christians
Do you live in Alabama? How is it your business? Point being that's why we have 50 states and that's why Alabama isn't the same as NY. People vote for their elected officials or they vote for the people that do the appointing. If the minority doesn't like it, they can move to another state that suits them.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:39 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,713,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
BS. Several of our "founders" were Deists and a couple Atheists. They did not want to give ANY religion the protection and power of the state.
Some of the most prominent founders of our nation were members of my religion - two of the first six POTUSs were card-carrying members and another of the first six POTUSs regularly worshiped at our churches - and Judge Moore would readily confirm that we are assuredly not Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
WE were NOT founded as a religious state but as a country created under SECULAR LAW!
Precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you live in Alabama? How is it your business?
Good people live in Alabama, who aren't Christians, and to whom the US Constitution promises protection from state-sponsored Dominionism.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
The US government was not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
I don't think that's what I said.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
You're partly right, more right than the HuffPost headline and article. Moore said nothing about freedom of speech, the press, or assembly --- all in the 1st Amendment --- protecting only Christians.

You're wrong about the Amendment's establishment and free exercise of religion clause applying to only Christians.
I don't think I said it "applied only to Christians." What I said was that they, as Christians, concerned that a government might establish one sect as an official state church, as in England, sought to protect against that possibility in the First Amendment. Obviously, this would apply to any religion. If it didn't, what would prevent the government from making the declaration that Islam was to be the official religion of the United States. Not going to happen, because of the First Amendment.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you live in Alabama? How is it your business? Point being that's why we have 50 states and that's why Alabama isn't the same as NY. People vote for their elected officials or they vote for the people that do the appointing. If the minority doesn't like it, they can move to another state that suits them.
Vote with your feet.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:07 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
I think most people are missing fact that Roy Moore doesnt even know what Buddhist and Islam are because in neither of those does their followers claim that Muhammad and Buddha created them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies