Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 07:51 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
This thread is hilarious. I'm no economist, and I'm glad some on this thread aren't either. Economics trumps political ideology. To assume that 'liberals' are doing unjust things with the economy and are no-nothings undermines any credibility some of you may have had.
You didn't really specify your complaint. "Liberals" is a bit of a vague term. Being vague, if Romney was president and the Fed was still feeding Wall Street the way they currently are "liberals" would be up in arms. They are pretty much quiet right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 07:55 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
The Germans tried this after WWI.

It worked until it didn't.

Old 05-13-2014, 07:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Germans tried this after WWI.

It worked until it didn't.
You have ZERO idea of what caused Germany's hyper inflation do you? You're just parroting back what someone said.

Comparing germany post WW I to us is demonstrating that you have no idea what caused Germany's issues back then.

Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the background.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You have ZERO idea of what caused Germany's hyper inflation do you? You're just parroting back what someone said.

Comparing germany post WW I to us is demonstrating that you have no idea what caused Germany's issues back then.

Hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read the background.
Wow, you're a Wikipedia genius.

Quiz: how did the money printing feed back into the real economy in Germany?

I forgotten more about the subject than you'll ever know.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Wow, you're a Wikipedia genius.

I forgotten more about the subject than you'll ever know.
Doubtful at best given your comments and lack of knowledge. I could quibble about parts of the Wikipedia but its relatively accurate. I could have just as easily referred to several books on this particular topic that I have read, but I didn't take you to be a reader of economic books.

Try When money dies for example. google it. Theres another one in particular thats really good, but off the top of my head I cant recall the name to be honest, its been a while since I read it. But try the one I mentioned.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:11 PM

Answer the quiz question then.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Quiz: how did the money printing feed back into the real economy in Germany?
Before or after the strikes? Before it was a slower rate of hyperinflation, afterwards it just got ridiculous.

Quick answer-negative feedback loop that caused prices to continue to inflate.

Quiz for you-how did Germany resolve debts vs's mortgages?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:14 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You didn't really specify your complaint. "Liberals" is a bit of a vague term. Being vague, if Romney was president and the Fed was still feeding Wall Street the way they currently are "liberals" would be up in arms. They are pretty much quiet right now.
There have been a few posts in this thread that attribute economic problems to liberals and using a large subset of the population as a scapegoat for what they themselves don't understand. That isn't a constructive argument.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Before or after the strikes? Before it was a slower rate of hyperinflation, afterwards it just got ridiculous.

Quick answer-negative feedback loop that caused prices to continue to inflate.
Huh?

Here's a simpler form of the quiz: why did the printed money NOT just go to pay debt held by foreginers? How did it end up making the price of bread unaffordable?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:17 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post

We haven't paid off a dime of the National Debt since before WWII.

(Well, I lied, there were a few years in the mid 1950s when the Natl Debt went down, from $274 billion to $270 billion, we paid off a whopping 1-1/2% of it before it shot back up the following year and has never come down again)

People thought $270 billion was huge, back then. Now it's $17 *trillion*.

So how come we aren't fiscally dead and buried by now? Easy. We made each dollar, worth a lot less. So the VALUE we now owe, is a lot less than it would have been. Neat trick, eh?

If you're wondering whose pocket all the VALUE vanished from to "pay off" the Natl Debt, consider the guy who saved up $15,000 in 1950. That was enough to buy ten pretty good, brand new cars then. If he saved it until now, it would be barely enough to buy one new car, and a cheap one at that.

That's the guy who paid off the National Debt. Him and his friends. And he probably didn't even realize he was doing it. And he's probably wondering why he can only buy one new car now instead of ten. Where did the other nine cars go?

If you're wondering if we are going to see inflation or deflation soon, the answer is: If we see any deflation at all, it won't last long. We've got a TON more debt to pay off. So we'll see almost entirely INflation, as far as the eye can see, from now on. It's the only way to pay it off.

And if you were wise enough to follow your grandfather's advice and save your money... YOU ar the one who will pay. Kiss most of your savings good-bye. Sucker.

Have you ever wondered why the government has never put a tax on savings and wealth?
Ha ha, fooled you. They HAVE put a tax on wealth, and it's been going for decades. It's called Inflation. And YOU have been paying it. That's why you're not rich now. Sucker.

Excellent post but it's probably way above a lot of people's heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies