Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM

993 posts, read 1,772,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Nope. They're straight couples. Circumstances may prevent them from being fertile. But circumstances are not preventing gays. They never could.
You are a prime example of the anti-gay movement at its finest. We have logically responded to your ONE argument that you have presented and you have not rebuked us at all. Instead of attempting to engage in a reasonable debate, you instead double-down on your one opinion even though we have asked numerous times why your opinion leads to the conclusion that it is okay to discriminate against gay couples. I am willing to listen to someone's opinion even if I disagree with it. I offer my reasons why I disagree and generally leave it at that. Instead of attempting to explain it, you just keep reciting the same thing over and over and over again refusing to listen to any criticisms of your point.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 PM

860 posts, read 1,114,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
What about individuals who were born infertile? Reproduction is NEVER possible for them, so I guess marriage is out.
I'm not talking about an individual straight couple, who may have problems. I'm talking about straight couples in GENERAL.

Straight couples in general can reproduce. Gay couples in general can NEVER reproduce and never had the body parts to reproduce with each other.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:27 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,276,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
The employee was not commenting on his owner or his company.

He was commenting on the behavior of another person who works for the same company.

I doubt in the " real world" anything would happen.
You should give it a try, start saying hateful things about fellow employees and see what your boss does.

He violated his company's code of conduct and was fined.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,257,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
It's really sad that we are no longer a country that can respect a difference of opinion, and people like you are perfectly fine with punishing others who do not share your ideology. That's not freedom.
So you should have the ability to say what ever you want, but I shouldn't have free speech to respond? Seriously?

Old 05-12-2014, 01:28 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,131,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Well, when people ask how does anything to do with gay affect a straight person, then that's how it affects a person. You can't have an opinion. You must agree with it or else bad consequences will ensue.
It's called the 'Court of Public Opinion' or the 'Free Marketplace of Ideas.' It's a consequence of living in a free society.

I prefer where it's at now than a few short decades ago. Imagine if someone came out and publicly supported gay rights in, let's say, 1955. He would have been fired from his job, lost all his friend, thrown out of his church, and the FBI would probably have started surveillance of him.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
You are a prime example of the anti-gay movement at its finest. We have logically responded to your ONE argument that you have presented and you have not rebuked us at all. Instead of attempting to engage in a reasonable debate, you instead double-down on your one opinion even though we have asked numerous times why your opinion leads to the conclusion that it is okay to discriminate against gay couples. I am willing to listen to someone's opinion even if I disagree with it. I offer my reasons why I disagree and generally leave it at that. Instead of attempting to explain it, you just keep reciting the same thing over and over and over again refusing to listen to any criticisms of your point.
That's because I keep being asked the same thing over and over and over again. And all I was pointing out was how a gay couple and straight couple differ, the major difference.

993 posts, read 1,772,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
The employee was not commenting on his owner or his company.

He was commenting on the behavior of another person who works for the same company.

I doubt in the " real world" anything would happen.
.....and you don't see a problem with that? I'm pretty sure most companies don't support negative comments between employees.

10,125 posts, read 14,019,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Civil marriage absolutely does not precede the law. Civil marriage is a legal construct - it is a legal institution created and defined entirely by civil marriage law. It creates and confers some 1000 legal rights to couples that wish to have them.

If Colorado, tomorrow, decided to pass a law repealing all civil marriage statutes and abolishing the institution of civil marriage in Colorado, it absolutely could do so. All civilly married couples in Colorado would lose access to the legal rights of civil marriage, and nobody in Colorado could gain access to them in the future. I don't think that would be a good idea (I like the legal rights we've crafted and attached to civil marriage), but it's something that Colorado certainly could do.

You do realize we're talking about civil marriage, not religious/traditional/private marriage? Those are two separate and unrelated things.
You don't understand what I am saying. The point is, the law did not create the idea of marriage. Marriage was around before this country existed. Whether you want to look at it as a religious thing or not is irrelevant. The idea of marriage came from somewhere and that is how it became a part of our country. When it was create as a legal matter in our country, they had to define it based on something in order to get it's original definition. That is the point. If we viewed that, then we would have better clarification as to what marriage has been defined by law, originally in this nation.

Quote:
Sure you can. You can use an objective harm standard - a standard that asks does the action prejudice the rights of others, and if so, it's impermissible. Murdering somebody prejudices that person's Constitutionally protected right to life, therefore it is impermissible.
You can't objectively determine harm. It is subjective. Think about women who are in relationship with domestic abuse who refuse to report it. On the surface it looks like no harm, but by law, it is illegal to abuse someone. Thank God we do not create laws with this line of thinking.

Also the death penalty would be considered wrong too, because then you would harm the individual on death row and their family.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:

I prefer where it's at now than a few short decades ago. Imagine if someone came out and publicly supported gay rights in, let's say, 1955. He would have been fired from his job, lost all his friend, thrown out of his church, and the FBI would probably have started surveillance of him.
I don't support that, either. I don't think a person should lose their job or etc for supporting gay rights.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM

10,098 posts, read 5,764,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
You should give it a try, start saying hateful things about fellow employees and see what your boss does.

He violated his company's code of conduct and was fined.

I would think a lot of companies would frown on a couple making out on company premises in front of everyone too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies