Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2014, 09:32 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,795,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
No says analysis of conservatism.
Little iamme's "Analysis of conservatism" = "My hate-filled spews, smears, and insults directed at any conservative I see, regardless of my complete lack of evidence that any of it is true, but I really want it to be so."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 09:33 AM

A person who thinks he is "fiscally conservative" while being "socially liberal", or some other odd combination, is simply confused.

A conservative is someone who thinks that society is better off if government remains small and limited, having little to do with people's everyday affairs.

Someone who thinks that's true for fiscal matters while not true for social matters; or thinks it's true for religious matters while not true for constitutional matters (insert all possible combinations and perturbations here), is a liberal. Anyone who thinks that government intervention into ANY formerly-private affairs that could have been handled without government intervention, is a liberal (and not the classical-liberal kind). Making a few exception here or there, does not make them conservatives, any more than patching two of the ten holes in a car tire makes it roadworthy.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,304,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Little iamme's "Analysis of conservatism" = "My hate-filled spews, smears, and insults directed at any conservative I see, regardless of my complete lack of evidence that any of it is true, but I really want it to be so."
You should move on, creating posts not about the topic but about a screen name doesn't make sense.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,378,867 times
Quote:
A person who thinks he is "fiscally conservative" while being "socially liberal", or some other odd combination, is simply confused.

A conservative is someone who thinks that society is better off if government remains small and limited, having little to do with people's everyday affairs.

Someone who thinks that's true for fiscal matters while not true for social matters; or thinks it's true for religious matters while not true for constitutional matters (insert all possible combinations and perturbations here), is a liberal. Anyone who thinks that government intervention into ANY formerly-private affairs that could have been handled without government intervention, is a liberal (and not the classical-liberal kind). Making a few exception here or there, does not make them conservatives, any more than patching two of the ten holes in a car tire makes it roadworthy.
IMO....I am "fiscally conservative" and "socially liberal".....as long as it is legal.

I do not care what other do......I just will not pay for it.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:43 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,040,134 times
Quote:
You should move on, creating posts not about the topic but about a screen name doesn't make sense.
In fairness, you have accused (several times) all conservatives of being motivated by hate and fear. I think it's perfectly on topic to point out the fallacy and utter lack of evidence to support your position. I believe you also lumped all Republicans in there too at some point? As a conservative, not only do I completely reject your baseless definition but I also find it quite insulting that you would be so quick to accuse so many of your fellow citizens of such a thing.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times
Quote:
Nah, I am certainly correct.

At the core of conservatism is exclusion and this exclusion manifests itself predictably in the mindset of needed out groups to hate and fear.

And conservatives have a lot of out groups that they hate and fear.

You certainly are entitled to your opinion, but your ASSumptions and generalizations are certainly not fact! Remember, repeating a lie over and over doesn't make it true. But, feel free to carry on with your rant about what you think that all conservatives think.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:

Someone who thinks that's true for fiscal matters while not true for social matters; or thinks it's true for religious matters while not true for constitutional matters, is a liberal. Anyone who thinks that government intervention into ANY formerly-private affairs that could have been handled without government intervention, is a liberal (and not the classical-liberal kind). Making a few exception here or there, does not make them conservatives, any more than patching two of the ten holes in a car tire makes it roadworthy.
I am not sure. There can be grades of socially liberal. There are many who actually don't worry about homosexuals being able to marry, it has no effect on their right to marry. There are also many that understand the need for abortion and other birth control available. It's not always they want all the social programs that comes from liberalism.

I am not conservative on a religious front because I am liberal religiously. I look at God as the forgiving father. You might do or say things that might let him down but if you make penance and ask for forgiveness (except if you are say Ted Kozinky or Ted Bundy) God will generally allow that. Why, because God created free will for his human creations. I normally don't like to get into religious discussions because they are many ways to go but often people act like the bible is absolutes and not that it is guidelines and only God Himself can decide if you are worth the forgiveness and not oh you are a fornicator, HELL!

Old 05-16-2014, 09:49 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,691,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
So is it the Repubs or the Conservatives that are all against big government until it benefits them?
That would be Republicans who are in favor of big government.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,941,482 times
Quote:
Nah, I am certainly correct.

At the core of conservatism is exclusion and this exclusion manifests itself predictably in the mindset of needed out groups to hate and fear.

And conservatives have a lot of out groups that they hate and fear.
If you go by conservatives of the tea party and many on here you would think it is a part of the party. Now is it REALLY that they hate people or is a cross-section like most conservatives being republicans and most republicans being conservative? I am not quite sure.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO....I am "fiscally conservative" and "socially liberal".....as long as it is legal.

I do not care what other do......I just will not pay for it.
In other words, you are socially conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies