Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 09:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times

Advertisements

I have to post this because I am sick and tired of people misunderstanding what it means to be black and be liberal. Let's go over a few things:

1) Black conservatives - I don't hold any more animosity towards Black conservatives vs. White conservatives. The fact that black conservatives are viewed as pariah's in the black community is actually embarrassing. Black people hold more conservative views than any other ethnic group.

2) Black "Democrats" - Most black folks I know are loyal Democrats because the Republican Party is just so out of touch with the Black community economically. If Republicans knew how many black folks hold conservative views and could articulate that, it would be a win for them. Black folks are very authoritarian by culture. Stephen A. Smith said it best - "if I go into the black community and ask... what would you rather have... universal health care and welfare or cash in your pocket, which one would you pick? Everyone would choose the latter."

3) Racialization - Pandering to the Tea Party wing of racists turns off black people to the tune of voting against the GOP. Branding any sensitivity towards blatantly racial incidents as "race baiting" also is a turn off.

With that being said, black liberals such as myself get overlooked. A good example is Rand Paul's visit to Howard University in which he called the Republican Party the party of emancipation. Rand was subsequently laughed out by the student body, because they knew far more about the history of the Republican Party than he did. He was shocked, expecting them to fall for his typical rhetoric of less regulation and taxes. (One such student said the role of government is to be a positive force of change, so why would he want less of it?)

I am a liberal. My race is irrelevant. I find the Republican party to be a bad joke, but I also find much of the black community to be politically ignorant and hypocritical. However, education leads to liberalism. The next time you see an educated Black Democrat, don't dismiss him / her as being a "blind" voter. You might just get schooled.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:10 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,040,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I have to post this because I am sick and tired of people misunderstanding what it means to be black and be liberal. Let's go over a few things:

1) Black conservatives - I don't hold any more animosity towards Black conservatives vs. White conservatives. The fact that black conservatives are viewed as pariah's in the black community is actually embarrassing. Black people hold more conservative views than any other ethnic group.

2) Black "Democrats" - Most black folks I know are loyal Democrats because the Republican Party is just so out of touch with the Black community economically. If Republicans knew how many black folks hold conservative views and could articulate that, it would be a win for them. Black folks are very authoritarian by culture. Stephen A. Smith said it best - "if I go into the black community and ask... what would you rather have... universal health care and welfare or cash in your pocket, which one would you pick? Everyone would choose the latter."

3) Racialization - Pandering to the Tea Party wing of racists turns off black people to the tune of voting against the GOP. Branding any sensitivity towards blatantly racial incidents as "race baiting" also is a turn off.

With that being said, black liberals such as myself get overlooked. A good example is Rand Paul's visit to Howard University in which he called the Republican Party the party of emancipation. Rand was subsequently laughed out by the student body, because they knew far more about the history of the Republican Party than he did. He was shocked, expecting them to fall for his typical rhetoric of less regulation and taxes. (One such student said the role of government is to be a positive force of change, so why would he want less of it?)

I am a liberal. My race is irrelevant. I find the Republican party to be a bad joke, but I also find much of the black community to be politically ignorant and hypocritical. However, education leads to liberalism. The next time you see an educated Black Democrat, don't dismiss him / her as being a "blind" voter. You might just get schooled.
"Education leads to liberalism" only when you major in liberal arts, humanities or LGBT studies. Most college graduates in this country voted for Romney in 2012.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
"Education leads to liberalism" only when you major in liberal arts, humanities or LGBT studies. Most college graduates in this country voted for Romney in 2012.

True, TMYK.

I dismiss all liberals as ignorant, regardless of gender or race, Opin.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:22 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
I do not agree that education leads to liberalism. It may for some, and not for others. Most of my family, friends, and acquaintances are well educated, and conservative to varying degrees.

I think the OP has #3 at least partly wrong. The Tea Party as a political movement is not racist. Some people within the TP movement are racists. That people associate the TP with racism is the result of constant misrepresentation via the media and Democrats. Add that the TP is not very good at communicating.

But there should be little doubt that some Democrats are racists too.

I agree the GOP has almost zero ability to deliver a useful message to black people. I think though that many conservative and libertarian positions should be positive to minorities in general. Unfortunately the GOP is just awful communicating.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:24 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,012,497 times
Quote:
You pretty much deaded his entire argument in one sentence lol.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I do not agree that education leads to liberalism. It may for some, and not for others. Most of my family, friends, and acquaintances are well educated, and conservative to varying degrees.

I think the OP has #3 at least partly wrong. The Tea Party as a political movement is not racist. Some people within the TP movement are racists. That people associate the TP with racism is the result of constant misrepresentation via the media and Democrats. Add that the TP is not very good at communicating.

But there should be little doubt that some Democrats are racists too.

I agree the GOP has almost zero ability to deliver a useful message to black people. I think though that many conservative and libertarian positions should be positive to minorities in general. Unfortunately the GOP is just awful communicating.
Bingo.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:

Stephan A. Smith never said that. Universal Healthcare and welfare are not equivalent.

People in all races are politically ignorant because most of them dont care. However i disagree with the hypocrisy part. You have to understand someone's ideology before you can call them hypocritical.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Liberal arts is a very wide field. Why exactly would you believe that studying one of those subjects leads to liberalism?

Old 05-27-2014, 10:58 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,990,232 times
Quote:
A couple of thoughts here.

If you truly believe "education leads to liberalism", then you are truly no different than the Republicans you have such a disdain for. What you have said is ignorant, it's insulting and it's ridiculous. I am a black man, with a Masters degree who is conservative. I did not get this way because of a lack of education, I got this way through experience. Just like many of us, our views are often shaped by things that we go through. An education or lack thereof does not in any way shape my views, it only fortifies them.

I have no problem with another black person being a Democrat, but I do have a problem with those individuals not being educated enough about WHY they vote the way they do. When someone starts a sentence off explaining why they vote Democratic with, "The Republicans...." I just can't take them serious. If you are voting for someone, you should be able to explain to me, how they benefit you and the people they serve. If your only point is that you vote for this person because he doesn't do XYZ like the Republicans do, then I am sorry you come off uninformed. If I wanted to know why you don't vote for Republicans, then I will ask you, but if I ask you why you voted for this Democrat, you should know that individual's platform or at least how that individual benefits you.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Liberal arts is a very wide field. Why exactly would you believe that studying one of those subjects leads to liberalism?
Oh I don't know, maybe the fact that every liberal arts major I've ever run in to was either upset that they couldn't find gainful employment or they were working some dead end job that had nothing to do with their degree. Most seemed upset and confused as to why they couldn't find a position making $140K a year as a museum curator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies