Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 10:44 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
Yep. More insults. How predictable. I disagree with you and I'm "daft".
Yes, I am denying the runaway warming that your side has said would cause winters with snowfall being a "rare and wonderful event" or "there will be more floods, making coastal cities such as The Hague “unlivable” by 2007."

I'm denying the runaway warming that your side predicted and can no longer account for and is trying to spin doctor it into saying is hiding in the ocean

I'm denying the notion that we know enough about the climate and all of it's influences and variables well enough to construct computer models that are anything more than exercises in arrogance and futility.

I'm denying the notion that the scientific community is above and removed from the influences of politics, activism, dogma and greed.

Repeating something often enough, does not make it true or a fact. You may claim this is settled science or now in the realm of indisputable fact but more and more, with the passage of time, watching your side's past predictions be contradicted by reality, it is your side that looks foolish and incapable of seeing past their own beliefs.
You went off on a snit for no reason...I'll rephrase it as a question....Do you deny that the earth's atmosphere and oceans are warming....A simple yes or no please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 10:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You went off on a snit for no reason...I'll rephrase it as a question....Do you deny that the earth's atmosphere and oceans are warming....A simple yes or no please.
You don't define the terms of the discussion. You may call it a "snit" but that was my answer. Reread it.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:29 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Some alarmist? I personally don't know it is unstoppable, but I am not a scientist and I'm not in the Antarctic...It is the team of scientists that are actually on site measuring the west Antarctic ice shelf that are making that claim...I don't know if they are right or not, but I'd say that they know a hell of a lot more than you do about it.
Says you.

Seriously, just because someone on your side says it is so, that makes it SETTLED science?

Are you serious? Do you think that climate never changes? That nothing that exists today can ever change? That whatever perceived trend is UNSTOPPABLE? Forever and ever?

You people really need to go back to school. You act like the fundamentalists over there on the Christian forum.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Actually we know the Earths temperature 4.4 billion years ago, back then the Earth had a surface temperature of about 446 degrees °F.
Hadean - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NOTHING here indicates that we have accurate ANNUAL temperatures for the period discussed.

Quote:
We have fairly accurate temperature records going back 500 million years.
Geologic temperature record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
NOTHING here indicates that we have accurate ANNUAL temperatures for the period discussed.

Quote:
And we have very accurate temperature records from 1880-2014.
Temperature record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The following link explains how we know Earths past temperatures.
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/schmidt_01/

Without ACCURATE ANNUAL temperatures, the statistical basis is not valid. PERIOD. Any REAL statisticians on this forum? Perhaps one such person might care to give a lesson in sampling and the requirements of random sampling.

Look, if this is all SETTLED science, as you folks like to say, then why dont you produce graphs like THIS ONE, indicating CO2 levels and global temperatures correlating to long term warming and cooling trends. After all, since it is SETTLED SCIENCE, as you folks like to claim, I'm sure such graphs exist.

I'll hold my breath.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,141 times
Quote:
Some alarmist? I personally don't know it is unstoppable, but I am not a scientist and I'm not in the Antarctic...It is the team of scientists that are actually on site measuring the west Antarctic ice shelf that are making that claim...I don't know if they are right or not, but I'd say that they know a hell of a lot more than you do about it.
Wow!
Do you even BOTHER to read your own sources?
It is NOT a team of scientists on site measuring the west Antarctic ice shelf

"Joughin's study uses computer simulations and concludes "the early-stage collapse has begun.""

"A NASA study looking at 40 years of ground, airplane and satellite data "

Computer simulations and alarmist predictions. Where have we heard this song and dance before?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Says you.

Seriously, just because someone on your side says it is so, that makes it SETTLED science?

Are you serious? Do you think that climate never changes? That nothing that exists today can ever change? That whatever perceived trend is UNSTOPPABLE? Forever and ever?

You people really need to go back to school. You act like the fundamentalists over there on the Christian forum.
LOL....It is the bible thumpers that constantly deny evidence, and think that they are smarter than the scientists...Sound familiar?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 PM

Quote:
LOL....It is the bible thumpers that constantly deny evidence, and think that they are smarter than the scientists...Sound familiar?
Reread my post for comprehension and then see if you can comprehend what I am saying about ideologues in general.

Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Wow!
Do you even BOTHER to read your own sources?
It is NOT a team of scientists on site measuring the west Antarctic ice shelf

"Joughin's study uses computer simulations and concludes "the early-stage collapse has begun.""

"A NASA study looking at 40 years of ground, airplane and satellite data "

Computer simulations and alarmist predictions. Where have we heard this song and dance before?
Really...Do you suppose these guys are just on a holiday? Antarctic Discovery: A Massive Valley Under The Ice | WGBH News

Old 06-02-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Really...Do you suppose these guys are just on a holiday? Antarctic Discovery: A Massive Valley Under The Ice | WGBH News
Kewl! A wonderful geological feature discovered far under the ice!

PS Y'all know that once upon a time, and maybe twice upon a time, Antarctica was part of super continents that straddled the equator, dont you?

So what's this got to do with melting ice and rising sea levels?

Old 06-02-2014, 11:54 PM

Quote:
You don't define the terms of the discussion. You may call it a "snit" but that was my answer. Reread it.
You still have not answered my question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies