Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2014, 10:13 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I am not trying to make decisions for you. Around here you are one of the most down to earth gun people i have seen post. As i said before and so many before you and me. The govt will never be able to take away our guns.dding serial numbers won't change your life will it?

Don't get your panties in a wad. All i am talking about is serial numbers on guns. None of the other clap trap you are dreaming up. I wouldn't allow the police to search my home ever without a warrant.
So you want a law passed that prevents me from doing something that I can currently legally do but your not making decisions for me? I guess pro lifers aren't trying to make decisions for women then.

Your talking about making something illegal for the sake of making something illegal. I prefer as much freedom as possible, sorry you do not feel the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 10:15 AM

15,804 posts, read 20,532,052 times
Quote:
I am not trying to make decisions for you. Around here you are one of the most down to earth gun people i have seen post. As i said before and so many before you and me. The govt will never be able to take away our guns.dding serial numbers won't change your life will it?

Don't get your panties in a wad. All i am talking about is serial numbers on guns. None of the other clap trap you are dreaming up. I wouldn't allow the police to search my home ever without a warrant.
It's not going to make much of a difference.

Most guns (legally) don't have serial numbers as it is. This is because they weren't really required until 1968. Before then, it was optional. Also, gun registrations are spotty. Before the use of computers, this was all done by hand on paper, and over time, these records have gotten lost of stolen, water damage, mice, etc. A lot of guns are also passed down by family members and the records on these purchases have long since been forgotten or are historic WW2 rifles and handguns that do not have a serial number. There are also errors in the computer system where a number was transcribed incorrectly by someone not fully literate with a PC. Sometimes if a gun is stolen, the owner doesn't even know the serial number and has to report it as unknown. If the guns registration was lost for above reasons, there is no ifo for the police to have. My point is there even in states where guns are registered and have serial numbers, you will have areas of missing information. Closing the "manufactured gun loophole" is just another law that doesn't really solve anything because there are already millions of legally owned firearms with serial numbers that the police won't have any info (or incorrect info on)

The ultimate solution is full gun registration and tracking. It's the only way to really know who has what. And you can be sure this idea would be met with a LOT of resistance.

The reason why gun owners refuse to budge is simply because they feel if you give a little ground, it will slowly be chipped away. Look at smoking. I grew up when smoking could be done anywhere at anytime and it was accepted. Over the years I watched at "non smoking section" became part of eating out, to seeing it banned completely from all eating establishments to even now being banned within X number of feet from the main entrance. It's even been taxed to the point where people can't afford to smoke. It literally has become an incrementalist policy on banning smoking.

The same can be said by gun owners about laws restricting guns. Lets just say semi-auto rifles were to be banned. Lawmakers can say "well, we won't touch bolt actions or shotguns" and everyone goes about their business. 10-15 years down the road, someone takes a shotgun and walks into a school. A copycat follows. How soon before support is being drummed up to restrict shotguns? Same goes for magazines? For years, it was "Why do yo need 30 rounds, 10 is enough!" to the point where states began to limit magazine sizes to 10 rounds. Years went by and what did NY do? Pass a law to restrict to 7! So now what? 10 years goes by and another state goes to 5 rounds? This is what people want to try to nip inthe bud now, because all these restrictions and rules really don't solve the problem which is a behaviour problem.

I'm not one of those "the govt is coming after me" type of people, but at the same time, i view my firearm ownership as a passionate hobby and do not want the govt to take it from me. It would be no different than if the govt took a look at the Ford Mustang in my driveway and said "Motor vehicle deaths are too high, we need to confiscate your vehicle (and give you pennies on the dollar for it) or you need to neuter it by installing a 4cylinder engine in it". If you dont believe that would happen, it has out in NY

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/05/nypd-targets-owners-multi-clip-shotguns-rifles/

I understand why people want to tighten up laws and restrict things more, but it's just not solving the underlying issues as to why people do not respect one another anymore.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:16 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's very easy to figure out what the serial number was even if it was filed off and just about every police department in the country can do it in under five minutes.
I'm wondering, when the metal is completely removed how the police department can tell what was on said metal.

You are talking about someone doing a poor job scratching a piece of metal.

Anyways, the point remains, criminals are not making guns in the garage so why make it illegal when it is not a problem?

I am tired of the nanny state.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:26 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,685,644 times
3d printer will create guns untraceable :-)

Old 06-05-2014, 10:38 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
BS.

The receiver that was imported has a serial number and it is recorded. The importer has to submit to ATF all the serial numbers of the receivers he imports.

Completely traceable.

MJ is full of ****.
Correct the serial number is always placed on a action part on any gun. Swapping barrels and other parts is common during life span of a gun of any type.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:51 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's not going to make much of a difference.

Most guns (legally) don't have serial numbers as it is. This is because they weren't really required until 1968. Before then, it was optional. Also, gun registrations are spotty. Before the use of computers, this was all done by hand on paper, and over time, these records have gotten lost of stolen, water damage, mice, etc. A lot of guns are also passed down by family members and the records on these purchases have long since been forgotten or are historic WW2 rifles and handguns that do not have a serial number. There are also errors in the computer system where a number was transcribed incorrectly by someone not fully literate with a PC. Sometimes if a gun is stolen, the owner doesn't even know the serial number and has to report it as unknown. If the guns registration was lost for above reasons, there is no ifo for the police to have. My point is there even in states where guns are registered and have serial numbers, you will have areas of missing information. Closing the "manufactured gun loophole" is just another law that doesn't really solve anything because there are already millions of legally owned firearms with serial numbers that the police won't have any info (or incorrect info on)

The ultimate solution is full gun registration and tracking. It's the only way to really know who has what. And you can be sure this idea would be met with a LOT of resistance.

The reason why gun owners refuse to budge is simply because they feel if you give a little ground, it will slowly be chipped away. Look at smoking. I grew up when smoking could be done anywhere at anytime and it was accepted. Over the years I watched at "non smoking section" became part of eating out, to seeing it banned completely from all eating establishments to even now being banned within X number of feet from the main entrance. It's even been taxed to the point where people can't afford to smoke. It literally has become an incrementalist policy on banning smoking.

The same can be said by gun owners about laws restricting guns. Lets just say semi-auto rifles were to be banned. Lawmakers can say "well, we won't touch bolt actions or shotguns" and everyone goes about their business. 10-15 years down the road, someone takes a shotgun and walks into a school. A copycat follows. How soon before support is being drummed up to restrict shotguns? Same goes for magazines? For years, it was "Why do yo need 30 rounds, 10 is enough!" to the point where states began to limit magazine sizes to 10 rounds. Years went by and what did NY do? Pass a law to restrict to 7! So now what? 10 years goes by and another state goes to 5 rounds? This is what people want to try to nip inthe bud now, because all these restrictions and rules really don't solve the problem which is a behaviour problem.

I'm not one of those "the govt is coming after me" type of people, but at the same time, i view my firearm ownership as a passionate hobby and do not want the govt to take it from me. It would be no different than if the govt took a look at the Ford Mustang in my driveway and said "Motor vehicle deaths are too high, we need to confiscate your vehicle (and give you pennies on the dollar for it) or you need to neuter it by installing a 4cylinder engine in it". If you dont believe that would happen, it has out in NY

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/12/05/nypd-targets-owners-multi-clip-shotguns-rifles/

I understand why people want to tighten up laws and restrict things more, but it's just not solving the underlying issues as to why people do not respect one another anymore.
Did you consider that many guns are listed on insurance policies? Great source of info to start back tracking that gun.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:49 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,746,808 times
Quote:
Just apply common sense is all you have to do.
We do, they are not a issue..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Another fool with the i want a shoot out attitude.
I want to be left alone, and to be free, if you a agent of evil and wish to usrpe my liberty, freedom, and rights...I will not be disarmed..I will not be a slave...I am not a fool nor am I alone..

Old 06-05-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
I am quite sure that the most are used legally. How about the unserialed number gun that gets stolen in a burglary ? Cops have no way of knowing if it came from their city or from out of town. I want to be sure the cops have at there disposal all the tools necessary to stop more gun violence by criminals.
How would know where they came from do a damn thing?

How does having a registry help the police solve crime? I does not.

Gun violence, indeed all violence is at a 50 year all time low.

Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
It's very easy to figure out what the serial number was even if it was filed off and just about every police department in the country can do it in under five minutes.
Yeah acid and or a angel grind will whip it right off...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies