Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 03:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,596,434 times

Advertisements

$300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/hour should end poverty permanently according to liberal economic theory.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:19 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
$300,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0 00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000/hour should end poverty permanently according to liberal economic theory.

??? Got a cite?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:34 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Oh look a totally bogus number that has no relevance whatsoever. Apparently this is considered "contributing to a discussion" by some folks.

Old 06-10-2014, 03:35 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,682,360 times
Quote:
...as long as we also expand the length of unemployment compensation and put more people on Food Stamps, because those are the biggest bang for the buck.

What did Pelosi say, we get three dollars in economic stimulus for every dollar we spend on those programs?

Old 06-10-2014, 03:36 PM

741 posts, read 764,530 times
Quote:
minimum wage proponents--how should the minimum wage be
determined?

Let the employees vote on it?

Old 06-10-2014, 05:03 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Possibly, but that's not really the OBVIOUS fallacy. Remember what he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C
Trendy areas are very expensive but most of the city's middle to working class metro region(Miami-Dade County is generally considered Miami) is reasonable particularly if one lived here before the real estate boom.

A typical renter (remember, renter median income is 50% of median homeowner income) would NOT consider Miami-Dade reasonable today, after the real estate boom - especially if they lived there before the real estate boom.

Do you live here? I doubt it. Folks make do and it is reasonable. If one lives beyond there means that is another unrelated issue.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:09 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why does a renter need a program??

Just rent elsewhere.

You really have problems with this don't you???

Our economy is based on investment and that it what gets rewarded.

Renters have no investment in the property.
Exactly why our economy has been in the slump that it is in. Morality economics is voodoo economics. Voodoo economics places defunct conservative ideology over economic principles.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:03 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,698 times
In 2013 McDonald's increased their McDouble prices 30% because of higher beef & commodity prices. This commodity price inflation was caused by printing money to support under paid working poor people making minimum wage.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:12 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Exactly why our economy has been in the slump that it is in. Morality economics is voodoo economics. Voodoo economics places defunct conservative ideology over economic principles.
Um, Voodoo Economics is thinking you can violate the Laws of Economics and get away with it.

It is an "economic principle" that excess Demand increases prices.

Reduce your consumption...that's an "economic principle," too.

Quote:
Meanwhile in reality..., recessions cause desparate people to take desparate wages.
No, people who couldn't manage their finances and got in over their heads are desperate. Recession had nothing to with it. Those people would have folded anyway.

Quote:
Minimum wage exists for a reason.
That reason is emotion, which has nothing to do with Economics or Reality.

Minimum Wage is Voodoo Economics...it's an attempt to circumvent and violate economic principles in order to feel good, which ultimately causes pain and suffering.

Quote:
Every developed country either has a minimum wage or extensive collective labor bargaining.

"Meanwhile in reality".
..every developed country has a population of 317 Million?

Really? In which Universe? Because that ain't reality.

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about? Economics is all about fair. The markets are regulated by the government to ensure a "fair" allocation of resources.
That is not why Markets are regulated in the US.

Economics is about equilibrium and balance, which has nothing to do with equality or fair.

Quote:
No 21st century power will legislate the poorest of its country to starve on the street. That is just irrational.
The irrational turd is the one who won't deflate ego and swallow their pride to share living accommodations in an apartment or house.

Quote:
Minimum wage proponents is about getting working folks off Federal assistance.
That's a lie. You will never get people off of "federal assistance" so long as you keep increasing minimum wage.

You just increased minimum wage in 2007 to get people off of "federal assistance."

That makes it a lie.

You lost jobs, and you have more people on "federal assistance" than before.

Raise minimum wage to $10+ and you'll lose jobs and have even more people on "federal assistance."

And then you'll whine and cry until minimum wage is raised to $15/hour, at which point, you'll lose more jobs, and have even more people on "federal assistance."

And then you'll whine and cry until minimum wage is raised to $22/hour, at which point, you'll lose more jobs, and have even more people on "federal assistance."

And on top of that, you keep lowering the bar to get "federal assistance."

Quote:
A person who works full time should not be in poverty, period. It is non-debateable.
It is debatable, because poverty is subjective. When you can define poverty objectively in no uncertain terms, then you might actually have a leg to stand on.

Quote:
If someone can satisfactorily demonstrate that I have caused harm to them, their proper recourse is a tort action against me. Using government to impose prior restraint on property owners is not a proper recourse.
No, preemption is perfectly permissible.

When we examine the correct and proper use of the Interstate Commerce Clause as intended by the drafters based on their notes, letters, journals and diaries, we see the purpose of the Interstate Commerce Clause as preemptive in nature.

When a business in Pennsylvania releases Carbon Tetrachloride (an organic compound harmful to humans and mammals) into the tributaries to the Ohio River, it causes harm to the States of Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and to the Commonwealth of Kentucky.

They can certain redress their grievances in federal court to recover losses and damages, but courts cannot write legislation, so the courts cannot prevent future occurrences, although the punishment meted out could serve as a deterrent.

This is where Congress now properly employs the Interstate Commerce Clause, enacting legislation to prevent future occurrences, assuming the causal event is not just a one-off freak accident, and that you can reasonably foresee such future events occurring with some regularity or frequency.

Zoning laws work the same way.

To prevent the courts from being clogged with litigation and valuable tax-payer money and resources frivolously tossed away, we enact zoning laws for the benefit of everyone.

Quote:
If your zoning inflates my rent N dollars, haven't you harmed me? Where is my proper recourse?
No, you're a renter.

Do you not understand the difference between renting and owning?

You're certainly free to ask the property to take legal action, but myself personally, higher rent means a greater likelihood of higher quality tenants, and I can get rid of the turds, and make improvements to the property.

Why should I spend for plush pile carpet for HUD-tenants?

They'll destroy it.....they're only worth the cheapest indoor-outdoor carpet I can find, and the cheapest appliance I can find on Earth (and hopefully I can find cheap used appliances).

If zoning drives up the rent, that's just too damn bad. Now I can rent to working-class poor. I can spring for a little better quality carpet and cheap appliances.

Rent goes up and Lower Middle Class moves in, then I can get nicer carpet, and higher quality appliances, because I know they're not going to pull a Midnight Move-out and steal all of the appliances and rip out all of the copper and everything else.

For Middle Class renters, I can lay better carpet, and get name-brand appliances.

That's how it works.

Now my apartment in Kosice, I just charge token rent for that. I own it outright. I paid $3,700 cash...or maybe that was what I paid for my apartment in Arad (Romania). Anyway, I actually own those, and have the deeds/titles to them.

I used to own a flat in London out near the tube at Kilburn High Road. I sold that to pay for the flat in Arad, and part of the money went to my house out in Lipova.

Demonstrating satisfactorily...

Mircea

Old 06-12-2014, 06:18 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,940,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What if the GOP who controls the House decided it should be $6?
What if democrats, who control the Senate, decided it should be $3?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies