Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2014, 12:08 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I've personally heard some horror stories of what restaurants do to the food cops eat & the food pissed off employees serve...

I think I'd have 2nd thoughts about getting a cake baked there if I were gay or any family member of that judge.
Exactly! Who knows what those "christians" might do to that cake out of hatred!

Old 06-08-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I'd simply move my business elsewhere.
To a country with Sharia law? They would not have to deal with wedding cakes for gay weddings there.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Exactly! Just like the conscience of Christians demanding that blacks sit in the back of the bus and drink from a separte water fountain!
They bake cakes on buses now!!!!!

WHO KNEW...

Old 06-08-2014, 12:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
To a country with Sharia law? They would not have to deal with wedding cakes for gay weddings there.
He is already half way there.

Sharia offenders to be counseled, detained

The Aceh administration’s approval of the Qanun Hukum Acara Jinayat (criminal code procedure) bylaw authorizes sharia police in the province to detain any person suspected of violating sharia for a maximum of 20 days, if initial counseling of the offender proves ineffective.

Sharia offenders to be counseled, detained | The Jakarta Post

What do you say we do if the baker goes back to making wedding cakes to only those he wants to?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
He is already half way there.

Sharia offenders to be counseled, detained

The Aceh administration’s approval of the Qanun Hukum Acara Jinayat (criminal code procedure) bylaw authorizes sharia police in the province to detain any person suspected of violating sharia for a maximum of 20 days, if initial counseling of the offender proves ineffective.

Sharia offenders to be counseled, detained | The Jakarta Post

What do you say we do if the baker goes back to making wedding cakes to only those he wants to?
The baker certainly will not have to have couseling for refusing to bake a cake for gays in that Province, would he? Send your link to the baker so he can consider moving there.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:32 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
You are use the word "accommodations" very loosely when it is about cake.

I get that it was about business and not cake in the transaction.....still that use is a little much for me.
Well, I thought "public accommodations" was defined to include retail businesses open to the public or businesses that affect interstate commerce.

But if he's not covered under the civil rights act I agree that he can do whatever he pleases.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:35 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
If a business owner were offended by my race, my height, my beard, my mid-western accent, or the shirt I'm wearing, fine and I'll go elsewhere to find someone who is not and maybe even someone more in line with me ideologically. Ever hear the phrase "I may not agree with what you say but I'll defend your right to say it"? And this would provide me the opportunity to do business with those whom I agree with as well. I might patronize certain businesses not because no other options exist, but because I agree with the owner for some reason.

Yes, some businesses may flounder as a result. I suspect some would have an opportunity to prosper. When on Mothers' Day I'm looking to bring home flowers for my wife, I'd bypass the flamboyantly gay florist and stop at another straight florist (if such a thing even exists.) If in the mood for ribs and a shop announces "We don't serve whites", I'd find one who does. Publicly owned corporations should not have such options as true ownership is diverse, but privately owned businesses where one acts directly with the owner should be able to determine who they do business with, and if that choice is based on the owners' values and beliefs such as in the bakery issue, then that's ok. Fail or succeed, it's their business.
So you are saying with one of your comments that racial discrimination is just fine ("we don't serve whites" comment). I would work to change it if we were still in that pre-1964 era you apparently prefer. Again, in a small town there might be only one place for those ribs and if that person is discriminatory, you are out of luck. Secondly, I would want to help make it right for the next generation, while you would just look the other way and find another business. I think if you had a chance to actually live in that era and were to have visited the South (granted, there was discrimination elsewhere too) you would reconsider.

When you open a business with a storefront on a public street, you are part of the community. Yet some of the same people that don't mind this sort of discrimination would be protesting loudly if a restaurant owner did not want a customer to bring a gun into their establishment. Then they would suddenly be opposed to the owner's rights in hypocritical fashion. Not saying you are one of these people necessarily, but they are out there.

Anyways, it is wrong for the cake business to discriminate against the gay couple IMO and that is the law. I would not want to go back to the law allowing discrimination like in the pre-1964 era. You should consider watching a documentary about discrimination in that era. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Republican View Post
What people don't seem to understand here is that the baker is not discriminating against gays, he is discriminating against Gay Marriage, there's a difference. It would be like trying to force a Jewish Bakery to bake a bunch of cupcakes for a Neo Nazi Rally, it's about the particular event and the Government has no right to tread on the liberties of these business owners and force them to do something that violates their deeply held religious beliefs, it's a slap in the face to the 1st Amendment.

You guys who are against the bakery owner do not have an actual logical argument. The hypocrisy in all of this is when the Mozilla CEO was given the boot from his own company for not supporting Gay Marriage and you guys were all in favor of Business Discrimination then. Now you're not? Sorry you can't make that claim anymore, you have no more credibility left.

If a baker refused service to a christian would it be that the baker is not discriminating against christians, he is discriminating against christian beliefs, there's a difference?

Old 06-08-2014, 12:47 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the only ones whining and crying were the gays.
You can't be serious. The bakery owner made a big deal out of nothing and did a phony "martyr" tactic by closing the cake part of his business to get sympathy from people like you. Most people are not falling for it. Make the cake, skip the drama, make a little money and be done with it. Minor detail: it is the law. Thank you.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They bake cakes on buses now!!!!!

WHO KNEW...
Christians who used the Bible to support the American system of slavery

Christians who used the Bible to deny women the right to vote

Christians who used the Bible to condemn interracial marriage

Would Jesus Discriminate? - History Lessons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies