Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 07:13 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct about that.

Even where I live in NJ, there is a microcosm of different types of cultures. I have some cousins who are embarrassingly racist and ignorant, even though my own sister has been married to a black man for more than thirty years. They still say amazingly stupid things in front of my family.

Also, re language, my parents grew up poor (Depression-era) and were unsophisticated people. When I got a job in the city at 20, I realized that I had to improve my own speech--I spoke sort of hickish because my family was small-town blue collar a couple of generations out of farmers. Thirty-five years later, I am still very careful and conscious with my speech at work and more relaxed and tending to fall back into my natural speech patterns when with old friends or family.
What you say regarding what happens in New Jersey, that can happen anywhere. I live in Georgia and I've heard stories about people getting disowned for dating outside of their race.

Interesting you mention the language bit. I'm wondering what some people who moved to northern cities from the South might have went through, concerning accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
This must have been back in the 90s. She and I are both in our fifties.
I was born in the mid-1980s, and was a kid in the 90s.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:19 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
What you say regarding what happens in New Jersey, that can happen anywhere. I live in Georgia and I've heard stories about people getting disowned for dating outside of their race.

Interesting you mention the language bit. I'm wondering what some people who moved to northern cities from the South might have went through, concerning accents.
LOL....

Years ago their was a family living near me......they were from the deep south. (whites)

Their boy, about 12 came over and asked me if I had any rotten pepper.

I was in a hurry to go to work and told me no.

The next day his mother asked me if I was mad at him.....I said no....but, he was being ridicules.

Then she told me he wanted WRTTING PAPPER.......to write to his ma mo.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
LOL....

Years ago their was a family living near me......they were from the deep south. (whites)

Their boy, about 12 came over and asked me if I had any rotten pepper.

I was in a hurry to go to work and told me no.

The next day his mother asked me if I was mad at him.....I said no....but, he was being ridicules.

Then she told me he wanted WRTTING PAPPER.......to write to his ma mo.
I really don't find any of this funny.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
I really don't find any of this funny.
I sure did.

When the boy graduated med school I reminded him of it in the card I sent.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I sure did.

When the boy graduated med school I reminded him of it in the card I sent.
Only to you was it funny. If it was me and I had to deal with that, I wouldn't find it funny at all.

I have a question, and a straight answer is required. If a straight answer cannot be provided, it would be better not to answer. What did you hope to accomplish by making fun of that person?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Whether or not it is true, well, I have to say this. Subjects like this are not brought up for nothing. Very often, subjects like this are brought up as a way to vent anger towards Blacks. Whether or not it is true is the question for me. The question is: Is it really necessary to bring this up, or is this being brought up out of anger towards Blacks?
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah anything negative brought up about blacks is racist!

Old 08-30-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah anything negative brought up about blacks is racist!
I'm not surprised to see an immature response. I've said something you disagree with it. And as much as there is disagreement with my statement, there is no attempt to refute my statement. Rather than trying to refute my statement, or at least put up a proper counter-argument, the typical response is a crass remark. Usually, making a crass remark, a foolish joke, or an insult is a sign of an evading a topic.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:38 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
I'm not surprised to see an immature response. I've said something you disagree with it. And as much as there is disagreement with my statement, there is no attempt to refute my statement. Rather than trying to refute my statement, or at least put up a proper counter-argument, the typical response is a crass remark. Usually, making a crass remark, a foolish joke, or an insult is a sign of an evading a topic.
I'm not evading anything. You insinuated it. I said it. And laughed.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Indian nationals have the excuse that in India, the tip is included in the price of the food. And I remember being told by a white friend who'd been a waiter in an Indian restaurant (and a cab driver, he'd worked many different jobs in his life), that at Indian restaurants in America, the owners pocket the tips but give their waitstaff a higher hourly wage. What they do nowadays, I don't know.

As to your Mexicans, well most likely they worked in the restaurant industry also as waitstaff and delivery drivers. So they know how much a good tip is appreciated. And 20 pizzas is a big order requiring several trips back and forth from your car. Maybe you arrived faster than expected. Maybe they were celebrating good news at their party. Some of the best group tipping I ever saw was at a private dance party at a Marriott Hotel in Boston on Thanksgiving night thrown by some Chinatown restaurant association. So all the guests had waiter and bartending experience themselves and the party was the big annual event for them. They were buying rounds of drinks for their tables and giving the staff huge cash tips. And the same night... there was a smaller dance party of African Americans in the adjoining ballroom... and their tipping style was a $1 here and there or nothing at all.

Anyone who has ever worked as a waiter or bartender tend to be good tippers, unless the service is really bad. Yes, there are many blacks in the food and beverage industry, but if they work in fast food like at a McDonalds,well that's not a tipped position. And having a tip cup at the register is not the same as working tables.
Here comes the genetic fallacies!!! I can name multiple times I've had a bad experience with Asians that ended up leading to bad service or straight up incompetency due to aptitude, but do you know what? As a non-racist person I don't let that individual experience mold my opinion of an entire group into bigotry...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies