Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 05:48 PM

72,982 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

I'm not responsible for some people who don't tip properly. If I tip properly, then that should be on me and me alone. If you treat me poorly because you assume I will tip poorly, then you won't get a tip. Most likely, I might call the manager or corporate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:57 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Study: Blacks tip less than Whites at restaurants and everywhere else.
Yup. Old news and common knowledge, no waiter ever wants to wait on a table full of African Americans... even African American waiters.

Also at banquets and weddings , if it's a black event, count on the guests to arrive very very late for a sit down dinner and not be apologetic about it.

And African nationals treat waiters like servants.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,133,074 times
It would be interesting to know what percentage of an average restaurant's client base is Black. I get a feeling it is disproportionately non-Black which probably accounts for the lack of knowledge of tipping standards. Blacks probably don't eat out as much in sit down restaurants which would explain why they don't know what tipping standards are. Anecdotally, I didn't learn what the proper tip was until I graduated from college and entered the professional workforce. I was a bit surprised to learn it was now 20% rather than 10% as it was in the past.

I know it was mentioned that Asians and Hispanics don't have as wide a disparity with Whites in tipping but that is probably because they are well represented in the food services industry while I don't believe that is the case with Blacks. Since restaurants tend to avoid Black neighborhoods due to this perception, it probably explains the probable under representation of Blacks in the food services industry and the client base of a restaurant. Of course, this is all speculative.

Also tipping is a custom imported from Europe and tipping standards constantly change (and this is generally dictated by those who have the means to pay a higher tip) so how can Blacks keep up with the changes in tipping customs if they are segregated from Whites (who generally lead the changes in tipping customs)?

Old 08-29-2014, 06:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
i dont believe rich people of color tip any less.
i know some.
the closer you are to the bottom of the food chain the more tempted you are to try to cheat the waitress and her small children out of what they deserve. which is a few cents for being kind to you and serving you.
its dispicable its nasty but so is all stealing.
generalized statements about black people are not well received on CDF unless they are words of praise and admiration.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:14 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
This could depend on the treatment they receive at some businesses.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
This could depend on the treatment they receive at some businesses.
the treatment received is often a function of how we conduct ourselves. this is especially true when dealing with min wage staff. interesting stuff isnt it. something i have experienced alot. people acting badly often expect--- no no not expect---- demand to be treated with great respect ---even kow towing is expected.
but i get to watch alot of this at denny's. the staff did not act rude, and these women dont make much. not at all. tipping them is not a sin. btw the staff is not all white.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM

204 posts, read 184,699 times
When I worked food service I noticed that my black customers more often than not tipped less. It did p*ss me off. But, what can you do? I also had black customers that would over tip as well. No one ever has a whole night of people stiffing you though. I always came out ok in the end. Boy am I glad I no longer work food service.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:34 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
I think it's fairly well known among servers that senior citizens, Europeans, Australians, and women tip considerably less than the standard 15-20%. This is not a racial thing.
See? We white guys have a least one redeeming value

Old 08-29-2014, 09:42 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
......I found out that "Mondays" was also used for "Canadians" as well.......
Lol, my wife worked at a high end seafood restaurant many years ago and they used the "Canadians" term as well.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:31 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,724,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm not responsible for some people who don't tip properly. If I tip properly, then that should be on me and me alone. If you treat me poorly because you assume I will tip poorly, then you won't get a tip. Most likely, I might call the manager or corporate.
LOL, I can hear it now... "I'm an African American women. And your waitress is racist".

I've heard the same thing. By the way, what problem do blacks have with Asian's and Japanese anyway? I'm told that blacks don't treat them very nice. Just repeating what I am told (by a couple of people)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies