Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 01:10 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I tip at all restaurants. I went to a new Golden Coral in my town to see what it was like. It was a buffet. I tipped the server.. I notices not many tipped there.. the servers worked hard clearing the tables and keeping the place clean..

The young woman who I tipped said to me.. not many leave a tip here and she thanked me. She was a divorced mom of two and was struggling to make ends meet.
no snark but she could/should work at a different restaurant if she felt like the tips weren't coming in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 02:42 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
https://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/...act-13851.html

It's not perception it's reality.

Yup some of the servers at the restaurants I worked at would pay off the hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. They often did this towards the end of the month when they needed to make rent.

I've often suspected that the inability of Black patrons to tip decently impacts the decisions of restaurants locating in Black areas. This was a common complaint from PG County residents.

This isnt' a surprise and has been studied before. Should tipping illegal calls out. . that the real issue isn't the customers tipping (black versus white) but the customers influence by race/etc.

The issue is -to me- more of an issue of discrimination. The truth is that all races (white and black) discriminate against minority servers, men, and ugly women.

Though I agree with this post in general. For whatever reason. . .African Americans in the United States aren't brought up with the same level of expectations at restaurants (for various reasons). Restaurants should not ignore this but do better to educate their customers on tipping norms

or better yet - ban tipping

Freakonomics » Should Tipping Be Banned? A New Freakonomics Radio Podcast

Old 06-09-2014, 04:04 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
This is a cyclical problem. Many black people don't tip well because they get shoddy service from waiters who give them shoddy service because they think that the black people won't tip well because they think that they are getting shoddy service from waiters that believe they will get a poor tip....etc.
The study controlled for quality of service, there still was a gap.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
At one time it came up often at our house.

We eat out a lot....my hubby's dad is a cheap cheap old man.

He was not one to leave much of a tip....if he left one at all.

So, went we went out with then....some how....some way...this would cause a problem.

If we left a tip.....he would say it was way to much......if it was their turn my husband would add to the tip he left.....and that too would cause a fight.
I don't eat out much anymore. My parents don't eat out much anymore. However, that is not to say I won't eat out again. I'm just saying at the moment, I don't do much of it.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:58 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,476,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The study controlled for quality of service, there still was a gap.
Oh well, I tip well and so do all the people on my family. I can only control so much. But then again I think the issue in the first place is that waiters need tips to get a decent wage.

Old 06-09-2014, 05:59 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Maybe they should run a study on different heights, hair colors, religions, eye colors, freckles and no freckles, big butts and small butts, etc. etc. See how ridiculous this gets?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:11 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Maybe they should run a study on different heights, hair colors, religions, eye colors, freckles and no freckles, big butts and small butts, etc. etc. See how ridiculous this gets?
Do people with freckles tip less?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:16 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Blacks earn less than whites. Does it surprise anyone that people with less money tip less? Do a study on secretaries and you'll see how they tip less too.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:26 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Blacks earn less than whites. Does it surprise anyone that people with less money tip less? Do a study on secretaries and you'll see how they tip less too.
The study controlled for income... Now that I think about it though, I think the black people in the study are just being smart. Is it really more work to bring me a $50 plate of food than a $20 plate of food? Does the server bringing the more expensive food really deserve more money if the work is the same?

Old 06-09-2014, 07:31 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Forget that. I leave 15-20% always. 20% for exceptional, 18% for average, 15% for poor service.
Agreed. If the service is good; I'll def put down a 15 to 20 percent tip, skin color means nothing. Hell; I've been known to throw down even 25 percent if the service was way beyond the call of duty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies