Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2014, 08:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
https://www.hotelschool.cornell.edu/...act-13851.html

It's not perception it's reality.

Yup some of the servers at the restaurants I worked at would pay off the hostesses not to seat Blacks in their section. They often did this towards the end of the month when they needed to make rent.

I've often suspected that the inability of Black patrons to tip decently impacts the decisions of restaurants locating in Black areas. This was a common complaint from PG County residents.
So that means the OP is a bad tipper, since he claims to be Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The study controlled for income... Now that I think about it though, I think the black people in the study are just being smart. Is it really more work to bring me a $50 plate of food than a $20 plate of food? Does the server bringing the more expensive food really deserve more money if the work is the same?
I've heard that before and some people do tip a smaller percentage on large bills. Waitstaff does understand that.

There wasn't proof of income alone and how could there be? Did the individuals fill out a questionnaire before their meal which included income?
This is what was mentioned
  1. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are not caused solely by race differences in socio-economic status;
  2. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are evident among the middle-class as well as the lower-class;
They did included education and income together. Not just income. If someone wants to do a study it should be in a specific restaurant so at least the variables can be somewhat limited as service and quality of food differ from place to place even in a chain.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I've heard that before and some people do tip a smaller percentage on large bills. Waitstaff does understand that.

There wasn't proof of income alone and how could there be? Did the individuals fill out a questionnaire before their meal which included income?
This is what was mentioned
  1. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are not caused solely by race differences in socio-economic status;
  2. Black-White differences in restaurant tipping are evident among the middle-class as well as the lower-class;
They did included education and income together. Not just income. If someone wants to do a study it should be in a specific restaurant so at least the variables can be somewhat limited as service and quality of food differ from place to place even in a chain.
From the study:

"These ethnic differences in tipping are not disguised socio-economic differences, because they remained significant after statistically controlling for income, education, and other demographic variables. Furthermore, the ethnic difference in average percentage tips was not attributable to discrimination in service delivery, because this effect remained significant after statistically controlling for the customers’ ratings of service."

The polling was conducted via telephone and (I believe) exit interviews.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Perhaps your reading comprehension is lacking. I was arguing that wait staff get at least minimum wage. The statement you bolded supports what I was arguing.
How is my reading comprehension lacking seeing as you did not make that argument until AFTER I posted the link. For your argument to be true, you would need me to be able to predict what you were going to post.

The question you responded to does not support the argument you are trying to put forth. You were either arguing something different, or purposefully trying to be vague. Either way, you never actually typed what you are claiming.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:39 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
In my experienced, a major indicator of how much tip I would get depended on who ordered what. I used to work at a Mexican restaurant. Generally, people who ordered alcohol were tipically great tippers. People who ordered from the cheap end of the meal, tips tended to be lower in terms of percentage. Diners who came with their families, especially when kids are around, the tips tended to be higher.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:46 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
no snark but she could/should work at a different restaurant if she felt like the tips weren't coming in.
It is in Florida and one is lucky to get a job.. it is bad here.. the housing industry is bad and many foreclosures...she was unemployed and was glad when Golden Coral opened up . She was very opened about her whole situation. Many people are struggling.. for some reason people open up to me when I speak to them.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:56 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
From the study:

"These ethnic differences in tipping are not disguised socio-economic differences, because they remained significant after statistically controlling for income, education, and other demographic variables. Furthermore, the ethnic difference in average percentage tips was not attributable to discrimination in service delivery, because this effect remained significant after statistically controlling for the customers’ ratings of service."

The polling was conducted via telephone and (I believe) exit interviews.
My mistake I read that as they took income and education together instead of separately.
I still stand by my statement that it should be the same place although experience has taught me blacks do tips less although I think it is more about income.

Lynn thinks the main reason that African Americans tip servers less is that most aren't aware that the usual guideline is 15% to 20% of the bill. In one study, 35.9% of African Americans identified that range as the norm, versus 72.4% of whites.
They often cited economics.
If you grow up poor, Fernandez said, you don't eat out at fancy places -- or at all. Fernandez, one of six children raised by a widowed mother in Hanson, Mass., said he didn't set foot in a restaurant where gratuities were expected until he went to college.
"If you're not exposed, how do you know [the tip rules]?"

about 2/3 of the way down

Study shows blacks tip less -- but they may have good reason - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-10-2014, 06:58 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,362,551 times
Maybe those that tip less can't do the basic math to figure the tip.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How is my reading comprehension lacking seeing as you did not make that argument until AFTER I posted the link. For your argument to be true, you would need me to be able to predict what you were going to post.

The question you responded to does not support the argument you are trying to put forth. You were either arguing something different, or purposefully trying to be vague. Either way, you never actually typed what you are claiming.
If the following statements are not clear to you about my point being that wait staff make a minimum of $7.25/hr (or the local min wage), then your reading comprehension is lacking by way of your inability to read concise sentences. These were all posted before you posted your link.

The wikipedia article you linked to supports exactly what I was saying. The statement you previously bolded supports exactly what I was saying by pointing out how money from multiple sources (employer and tips) add up to this minimum wage. The key being that they receive minimum wage.

Quote:
The minimum, however, is $7.25/hr at a lawfully run establishment.
Quote:
But they still went home with the minimum wage no matter what their tips were. In Michigan, it's currently $7.40/hr.
Quote:
No state allows servers to earn less than minimum wage.
^ This is the specific statement that you called out.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 PM

12 posts, read 11,957 times
I usually round my check up and tip 20%. Great service gets more. Servers who are kind to my children get more. Anticipating our needs gets more.

I don't care if people assume I'm a bad tipper. It's stupid but I don't tip based on that. However if the service is just the minimum the tip will be too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies