Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2014, 11:04 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Greenland temps over the last 10,000 years.... I wonder how many piece of Greenland the size of Manhattan have slid into the sea over that time period?

How about Greenland last 1000 years?

Climate Science Investigations South Florida - Temperature Over Time
You will note that the graph fits the archeological record. Vikings settled Greenland around 1000 AD and got between 20% and 30% of their food from the sea. But by the time the Vikings abandoned their colony on Greenland around 1300 AD they were getting 80% of their food from the sea.

That would imply a significant drop in mean surface temperatures around Greenland during that 300 year period.

See: Abandoned Colony in Greenland: Archaeologists Find Clues to Viking Mystery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2014, 12:45 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The analogy doesn't fit in that the meteor heading towards earth isn't man made. Just like the deniers KNOW that the acceleration of global temperatures aren't man made.

But wait, they also deny that the earth is warming at all. (You know the 18 year thing that was already posted on this thread).

The deniers need to decide whether the earth is warming or not and stick with one story.

Yes, the Earth is warming and has been for twenty thousand years.

Yes, a tiny component of this warming is man made.

No, warming isn't a bad thing and neither is CO2.

The miles thick ice sheets that once covered my exact location here in SE Michigan once served a useful purpose in carving out the Great Lakes but I would prefer they stay gone.

Will they return?

Of course they will.

This freeze/thaw cycle has been going on for ages upon ages.

FTR, GHCN v3 is man made.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:13 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,948,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
The only way magnetism from the sun effects Earth is through solar flares and CMEs. When magnetic field lines twist they build up power, the more they twist and contort, the more power they have. Occasionally those magnetic field lines will break away and fling billions of tons of charged particles toward Earth. That is the only way the sun's magnetic field effects Earth.

Otherwise, neither the sun nor the Earth have any magnetic influence on the other. Earth's magnetic poles are determined by the rotation of its molten nickel/iron core, not the sun.

I have one small bone to pick, the sun and earth do interact magnetically in other ways:

Magnetic Portals Connect Earth to the Sun

Old 10-28-2014, 07:19 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I don't quite understand this point of view. If a meteor was heading for earth, would you hold a similar view of "Whats the big deal? Meteors have been hitting the earth for billions of years."?
Yes. If you can't do anything about it, why worry?

Old 10-28-2014, 07:24 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Has it ever occurred to you that sometimes the earth can warm for several years, then level off for several years, or cool for several years, then change direction again?
Yes. I learned that in grade school and didn't need a science degree or a computer model to understand it.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:31 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
What a dumb OP? A large iceberg proves global warming? This happens all the time. What about the fact that the arctic sea ice cap actually grew this year, when the "experts" were saying it would be gone by now. What about the fact that the mid-west had one of their coldest winters in history last year. All the Great Lakes froze over. Quit drinking the Koolaid and do some real studying on both sides of the issue.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:33 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
They Took A Camera To A Remote Area In Greenland, And What They Recorded Is Simply Terrifying

This video is terrifying and spectacular at the same time. Hard to deny that something is going on in the Arctic regions after watching this video.

you know, there has always been climate change and always will be. there has been climate change since the birth of the planet. I do not believe in global warming, but I do believe in climate change, as climate change has been there for billions of years.

climate change is just the buzz word that liberals like to use as global warming was a complete failure to convince the masses.

also, if global warning happens, then who cares? there will be more land for farming and other things too. if the planet went into a mini ice age, I wonder how many enviromentalists would be screaming for MORE global warming?

Last edited by monkeywrenching; 10-28-2014 at 07:44 AM..

Old 10-28-2014, 11:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,462,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
I have one small bone to pick, the sun and earth do interact magnetically in other ways:

Magnetic Portals Connect Earth to the Sun
I was not aware of flux transfer events. Thanks for the link, I will look into it further.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:23 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Default The Debate is Over (Cholesterol and Global Warming)

Quote:
A big fat surprise for dietary dogma

Last month, in an epic climbdown, the U.S. Dietary Guidelines Advice Committee, whose guidelines influence millions of people, finally dropped its recommendation to restrict cholesterol. “Cholesterol is not a nutrient of concern for overconsumption,” it said. So go ahead – eat all the eggs you want.

Just about everything we thought we knew about the evils of cholesterol and fats has turned out to be wrong. The doctors, the nutritionists, the dietitians, the heart societies, the experts at Health Canada, the food pyramid that hung on the wall in school – the entire health and medical establishment, in fact, have been perpetuating a big fat fraud.

It gets worse. Obviously, if you cut down on one food, you have to replace it with something else. Over the past 30 years, we’ve replaced “bad” foods like red meat, milk, eggs and butter with grains, pasta, starchy vegetables and refined carbohydrates laced with sugar. These foods turn out to be even worse. They’re the reason that rates of obesity, diabetes and heart disease are soaring. In other words, the diet advice we’ve been force-fed all our lives has actually made us fatter and sicker.

(there is more at the link. It is good stuff, check it out....)
So for the last 30 years, we have been told that cholesterol is a health risk, especially for circulatory and heart problems, and that we must completely change our diets to avoid this risk to human health. Everybody just assumed that the scientists must be right, because they are the "experts" or whatever, and who are you to think for yourself after someone tagged as an "expert" has spoken.

And not just a few experts - it was an overwhelming consensus among the so-called "experts". Heck, in this instance, unlike the claims for the percentage of scientists who actually support the left's politically motivated Anthropogenic Global Warming (AGW) alarmism agenda, it might have actually been 97% or more who supported this hypothesis.

The debate was regarded as over.

Well, errr, the consensus of "experts" was wrong. Oops. So, for those of you who have been dietarily contorting yourselves into all manner of inconvenient and unpleasant restrictive eating habits for many years, it was all for naught. You wasted your time and effort. Sorry.

And what's more, the diet that they gave you to replace it, based on food made from grains that our agricultural sector is able to produce easily and cheaply in mass quantities (primarily corn, wheat and soy), has resulted in our society becoming increasingly obese and less healthy. That is the experts and your government at work, people.

So now the AGW alarmism movement, led by a consensus of their own government funded "experts" is trying to march us down this same path again, only around a banner of "climate change" this time, with tax increases and lots of regulations attached, the first of which have already led to increased energy costs, with more on the way.

Be smart. Don't just take their word for it. Dig into this subject and think about it for yourself. They are misleading us again. It is not too late and the debate is not over.

Old 03-15-2015, 02:29 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,067,889 times
Oh, you mean we shouldn't trust 'experts' to be unbiased. Good idea. Anytime an expert tells me to trust all of the opaque research, I'll know not too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies