Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2014, 06:12 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Bush administration lost 22 million emails.
Most of them still exist, somewhere, probably, but aren't recoverable any more because all the software they were written on is extinct, or stored on servers that wore out long ago, or servers that went into recycling, or on floppies, Bernoulli drives, or Zip discs, or CD's that are stored/trashed/damaged/whatever.

Hell, yes, I believe it. A lot more than 6 computers are ruined forever with each new virus that comes around and kills the hard drive. I once watched a printing house's 60 computers all die within 45 minutes when people arrived at work and turned them on.

I've gone through 4 other computers since I began using them. 2 died, and the other 2 became hopelessly obsolete. This one is 3 years old, and it's close to obsolescence. Both the ones that died were due to motherboard failures, not hard drive failure.
One of the obsoletes that I owned also had a motherboard failure, but it was able to be resurrected. but only after I lost that complete job I mentioned in my first post.

All were backed up, but no computer server is ever 100% backed up continuously, even in the Pentagon.

And, in case you haven't noticed it, the IRS, along with a lot of federal agencies, hasn't exactly been flush with spare cash to past 8 years. What it is supposed to have for backup and what it actually has are 2 different things, mostly due to…. hold on…. lack of funding.
"Hell, yes, I believe it. A lot more than 6 computers are ruined forever with each new virus that comes around and kills the hard drive. I once watched a printing house's 60 computers all die within 45 minutes when people arrived at work and turned them on."

Your lack of knowledge in gov't computer networks is glaring.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:18 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
When the motherboard dies, it's always a drag. I once lost 4 months of work with only 4 days to go before everything was completed. Just before the motherboard fried, it trashed the hard drive.

Sometimes it happens. Machines do fail, after all, at inconvenient times. it happens all the time.

But go ahead and try to make it another conspiracy… you like 'em. You'll be joined by the Hallelujah Chorus, I'm sure.

You buy the story about the other hard drives crashing too?

Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm an Obama supporter and I have no problem admitting this smells foul.

How does a government agency lose emails by a computer crashing?
Even more odd is... why in the world do they think anyone would believe their 'computer crash so all is lost' story?

15, 20 years ago... maybe. Now? No way in hell... too many people are very aware of how email and agency/corporate network servers, etc., work.

And I agree with the OP. If Congress has copies of heavily redacted emails from the same time frame, evidence was destroyed after the investigation began. That automatically implies guilt.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
It is a whopper.. the IRS has to finally cover their misdeeds and how do they react?? LIES! Nice to see that they don't want us to lie but they created an unbelievable whopper and think the American people are that gullible.. they have no character but they use a big hammer and wield their power to all of us peons.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
The Bush administration lost 22 million emails.
Most of them still exist, somewhere, probably, but aren't recoverable any more because all the software they were written on is extinct, or stored on servers that wore out long ago, or servers that went into recycling, or on floppies, Bernoulli drives, or Zip discs, or CD's that are stored/trashed/damaged/whatever.

Hell, yes, I believe it. A lot more than 6 computers are ruined forever with each new virus that comes around and kills the hard drive. I once watched a printing house's 60 computers all die within 45 minutes when people arrived at work and turned them on.

I've gone through 4 other computers since I began using them. 2 died, and the other 2 became hopelessly obsolete. This one is 3 years old, and it's close to obsolescence. Both the ones that died were due to motherboard failures, not hard drive failure.
One of the obsoletes that I owned also had a motherboard failure, but it was able to be resurrected. but only after I lost that complete job I mentioned in my first post.

All were backed up, but no computer server is ever 100% backed up continuously, even in the Pentagon.

And, in case you haven't noticed it, the IRS, along with a lot of federal agencies, hasn't exactly been flush with spare cash to past 8 years. What it is supposed to have for backup and what it actually has are 2 different things, mostly due to…. hold on…. lack of funding.

You can recover emails from a damaged hard drive with a Linux pendrive.

I run Ubuntu on a flash drive and when it boots up it shows all the other drives as auxiliary drives.

Once Ubuntu is up and running, you just go into each drive and copy whatever you like.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:28 AM

26,500 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
If there is no guilt then the e-mails would have proved it and you better believe this administration would have released them.

Since the IRS claims they are LOST, I am left to think they don't want the FACTS out and are hiding something.
Yes, you would think the White House and Democrats in congress would rush forward their emails with Lerner during this time period to silence the growing scandal. Especially with Obama being so transparent and all....

Old 06-21-2014, 06:33 AM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
If this story took place in the old soviet union or a SA dictatorship, everyone would be shaking their head and gufawffing at the transparent lies and corruption bolstered by the media and wondering how those criminal governments stay in power. No one would believe that such a scenario could paly out in the USA....well surprise, surprise.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:37 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
They do backup their servers....on tape. That they used to recycle every 6 months.
They're also required by law to make recordkeeping or hard copies of e-mails. Where are those?

Quote:
"IRS offices will not store the official recordkeeping copy of email messages that are federal records ONLY on the electronic mail system

...IRS offices will not store the official recordkeeping copy of e-mail messages that are federal records ONLY on the electronic mail system, unless the system has all of the features of an electronic recordkeeping system, some of which are specified in paragraph 2 above. If the electronic mail system is not designed to be a recordkeeping system, ask an E-Mail/System Administrator to instruct you on how to copy the information from the electronic mail system to a recordkeeping system or produce a hard copy for recordkeeping purposes."
Internal Revenue Manual - 1.15.6 Managing Electronic Records

Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
The beauty of Tech. The guy that is sitting in his basement could find those e-mails, the people who use the system have no idea how it works or does not work. Then we underfund and wonder why an agency does not work.

If the Republicans in congress want to find the answer maybe they need to pay someone outside of their political party to find it.

A special prosecutor needs to be brought on if their is more to be found. (see Nixon tapes)

Old 06-21-2014, 06:47 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Lost emails? No problem I'm sure the NSA has them along with everyone else's!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies