Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:30 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times

Advertisements

President Obama gave a great commencement speech for UC Irvine this year.

President Obama Slams Global Warming Deniers

In summary he talks about the importance of this generation. The hardship we've experienced with our parents losing jobs and the student loan debt crisis. He then goes on to talk about his hope for the future and how 22 year olds make up the single most populous age group in the nation currently. Further discussion goes on how educated and ready to act we are despite how underrated many people treat the generation of current 20-somethings, and that we're the most optimistic generation and he sees hope.

Then he changes to slam global warming deniers. He cites quotes and stats from science journals, NASA scientists and studies done at UC Irvine, where he is speaking, affirming that there is no doubt the world is changing and that fossil fuel consumption are the number one leading cause. He says there is nothing like having a group who denies the existence of the very problem that needs to be solved. He compares it to people who thought landing on the moon was fruitless and unnecessary, but how because of the drive of young scientists in that generation it was done. He talks about emerging economies and how they're not going to act until America acts and that means we need to act. He even talks about the successes we've had in reducing fossil fuel consumption since 2006.

He finishes with recognizing the service of military students who are graduating and tells us to dream big, even if we're underrated, and goes on a rant about hope and how it has built our nation and will continue to make it great.

I'm more liberal than not, but I am definitely not an Obama fan-boy (I threw away my vote on a third party in 2012), but it was a great speech and restored some of my respect for him. I just wish he'd have taken a more firm stance on climate science and global warming in 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 11:59 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
He was just grasping at straws trying to convince the ever skeptical public that climate change is one big hoax.

He will fail

Old 06-16-2014, 12:02 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Yet Obama has not a care for people being beheaded as he golfs.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:14 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
He is wasting his breath on global warming, and I think he has sort of figured it out. Sort of the same position applies to guns. We have a HUGE problem, but as long as people are willing to redirect the issue--such as the gang of folks who still deny that global warming is even happening and therefore THAT (redirection) becomes the 'argument', rather than discussing serious ways in which to reduce man's impact on warming--it will never move forward. Heaven forbid we disrupt a couple of industries (oil and auto's come to mind) in lieu of saving the planet. Tired cliché, sorry.

We are past the point of no return with regard to global warming. Many of us campaigned decades ago that the issue needed to be addressed, but it fell in the face of "capitalism at any cost to the environment" is good. Astonishingly, people still to this day believe that argument.

Now all anyone can do is sit back and, literally, watch the earth melt. Obama is no dummy. He stills pays it lip service, just for the record, but there are still to many who don't even 'get it', let along want to deal with it.

Don't worry.....the Government will bail us out over the next few years as the oceans engulf more and more of the habitat where millions of folks reside.

Sure.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:17 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
There's NO chance the earth is going to melt, or the oceans are going to flood the world.....such chicken-little nonsense.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:22 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
There's NO chance the earth is going to melt, or the oceans are going to flood the world.....such chicken-little nonsense.

See what I mean? The melting ice caps, the doubling of the rate of rise in the level of the world's oceans isn't real.

Nothing to see here. Go back to your houses. It isn't real. Just a bunch of conspirators who can't read a tape measure.

I rest my case. Thank you Brave One.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
I wish our esteemed leader would slam deniers, but he's a denier himself.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
See what I mean? The melting ice caps, the doubling of the rate of rise in the level of the world's oceans isn't real.

Nothing to see here. Go back to your houses. It isn't real. Just a bunch of conspirators who can't read a tape measure.

But...but...they look out their windows and don't see global warming. Therefore, it doesn't exist.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
President Obama gave a great commencement speech for UC Irvine this year.

President Obama Slams Global Warming Deniers

In summary he talks about the importance of this generation. The hardship we've experienced with our parents losing jobs and the student loan debt crisis. He then goes on to talk about his hope for the future and how 22 year olds make up the single most populous age group in the nation currently. Further discussion goes on how educated and ready to act we are despite how underrated many people treat the generation of current 20-somethings, and that we're the most optimistic generation and he sees hope.
In other words, he pandered to you and you bought it hook, line, and sinker. Did he mention that the student loan debt crisis was created by liberals in the first place? Somehow I doubt it. Did he mention that national surveys of business managers find the "underrated generation" to have a distinct lack of work ethic as opposed to older employees? Somehow I doubt it. Did he mention that the hardship you've experienced with your parents losing jobs has a lot to do with his stimulus plan failing and his administration managing the most anemic economic recovery in decades? Somehow I doubt it.
Quote:
Then he changes to slam global warming deniers. He cites quotes and stats from science journals, NASA scientists and studies done at UC Irvine, where he is speaking, affirming that there is no doubt the world is changing and that fossil fuel consumption are the number one leading cause. He says there is nothing like having a group who denies the existence of the very problem that needs to be solved. He compares it to people who thought landing on the moon was fruitless and unnecessary, but how because of the drive of young scientists in that generation it was done. He talks about emerging economies and how they're not going to act until America acts and that means we need to act. He even talks about the successes we've had in reducing fossil fuel consumption since 2006.
Interesting. There is nothing like having a group of people who denies the existence of the very problem that needs to be solved. Hmm, I wonder if that would apply to him almost doubling the national debt of all previous presidents combined. I wonder if that would apply to him not taking any effective steps to halt Iran's development of nuclear weapons. I wonder if that would apply to him introducing healthcare reform that he said did not have new taxes when it turns out that it did, would allow people to keep their insurance when it turns out they can't, and would not raise the deficit when it turns out that it does.
Quote:
He finishes with recognizing the service of military students who are graduating and tells us to dream big, even if we're underrated, and goes on a rant about hope and how it has built our nation and will continue to make it great.
Oh, so he recognizes the service of military students. I wonder how the members of Bergdahl's platoon who his administration called liars and psychopaths for not going along with the line that Bergdahl served with distinction feel about the recognition they got for their service.
Quote:
I'm more liberal than not, but I am definitely not an Obama fan-boy (I threw away my vote on a third party in 2012), but it was a great speech and restored some of my respect for him. I just wish he'd have taken a more firm stance on climate science and global warming in 2008.
Maybe someday you'll be able to distinguish between someone trying to pander to you and someone actually governing the nation well.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post

You are correct in one thing...there is nothing to see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies