Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Reinstate the draft?
Yes – We need a draft again 26 27.08%
No – Perpetual war is not an option 70 72.92%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 06:00 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is one flawed poll; yes mean what Op wants; as does No.
So what is your answer?
A better question, do you think the politicians and their corporate and banking backers should have skin in the game by sending their sons and daughters to the front lines as a requirement to wars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:58 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
A better question, do you think the politicians and their corporate and banking backers should have skin in the game by sending their sons and daughters to the front lines as a requirement to wars?
Exactly! If perpetual war is really necessary then shouldn't everybody be asked to contribute? What we have going on now with just a small fraction of the populace fighting our wars is exactly why our wars never end. We've been in Afghanistan since 2001 and in Iraq since 2003 for crying out loud.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
If we’re going to continue with our present course of perpetual war then shouldn't we reinstate the draft so all patriotic Americans get a chance to serve?
Serving blindly in the armed forces even when you disagree with the policies isn't patriotic its idiotic. "Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do or die." No thanks. The last thing I want to do is die for a bunch of corporations gaining profits at the cost of young Americans and Iraqi's lives. They aren't protecting freedom for Americans anymore but they are protecting the freedom of ultra rich capitalist's. Last time I checked anybody who wants to can join the armed forces to show their so called patriotism.

I think people should start serving mandatory terms in the armed forces when the Federal Government starts listening to the majority of Americans again and not just the 1%.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:41 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,093,248 times
Default Give peace a chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I think people should start serving mandatory terms in the armed forces when the Federal Government starts listening to the majority of Americans again and not just the 1%.
The majority would be screaming much more vehemently if they felt their lives were on the line in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

Here's a neat little slogan: Make war no more, reinstate the draft.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:51 PM

854 posts, read 1,141,309 times
Quote:
The majority would be screaming much more vehemently if they felt their lives were on the line in places like Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran.

Well I do see your point. If nobody was exempt from serving in the armed forces maybe politicians would be less likely to start wars over greed. As it stands right now usually the less fortunate are the majority serving but there are people who volunteer as well and I respect them both a lot. I just don't see it going down like that this day and age though. They would reinstate the draft and still do whatever they want keeping their loved ones out of the line of fire.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:06 PM

57,316 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:

When the politicians offspring have to serve on the front lines, it cuts through all BS and they have to consider their sons and daughters lives over the Corporate and Banking Dollars showered their way.
Exactly!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:19 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
I'm curious about something. To those who voted for the draft, are you of drafting age or are you just throwing the younger generation under the bus.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:32 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I'm curious about something. To those who voted for the draft, are you of drafting age or are you just throwing the younger generation under the bus.
I voted yes with the mindset of getting those making the wars have they are theirs have some skin in the game. Others viewpoints will vary.

The reasoning behind the votes can vary. No matter, most voted against it and is no surprise since many do not want they and theirs to sacrifice their lives to enrich others.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
I voted yes with the mindset of getting those making the wars have they are theirs have some skin in the game. Others viewpoints will vary.

The reasoning behind the votes can vary. No matter, most voted against it and is no surprise since many do not want they and theirs to sacrifice their lives to enrich others.
Fair enough, thank you. But I was just wondering how many on cd wants to reinstate the draft when they know it wouldn't affect them.

Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:

I can agree on Iraq though I'd argue we should have done what we did in 2003 in 1991. Afghanistan was needed unless you think that thousands of Americans killed on mainland American soil in an act of war was some minor act. I'll tell you if it was such a minor act, then it wouldn't have turned a blue sky day in Long Island into a grey cloudy day from all the dust, sut and smoke the buildings falling kicked up and you still couldn't see the smoke from it weeks later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
Well I do see your point. If nobody was exempt from serving in the armed forces maybe politicians would be less likely to start wars over greed. As it stands right now usually the less fortunate are the majority serving but there are people who volunteer as well and I respect them both a lot. I just don't see it going down like that this day and age though. They would reinstate the draft and still do whatever they want keeping their loved ones out of the line of fire.
Yep. Politicians would have their kids exempt such as college deferments and enrolling then into Peace Corp or sending them on mission work. Tell me politicians didn't have their sons do that back in Vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies