Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:46 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Geez, how many times do I have to repeat myself? It is irritating and rude when spoken loudly in a public setting. Are you ever going to get it?

If I were "living" in Italy I would learn and speak Italian and speak it in public. You don't have to get all melodramatic on me by using phrases like one's world crumbling either. Don't pull the hate card on me either. It has nothing to do with hate but disrespect and rudeness on their part.
So this had nothing to do with language, you just don't like people who talk loudly? Well I can agree with that, I do get annoyed when I hear a loud English speaking American who doesn't know how to use their quiet voice.

Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What's really rude is if you know some of that other language and realize they are talking about you. I have heard too many who speak Spanish and are really guilty of that.

I told one guy to repeat it in English and he wanted to fight.
And? I know people who speak English and talk about other people in English. Heck, my wife and I were making fun of a hipster on the train yesterday and we were both speaking English.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:32 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
I feel your pain OP.

Basically it is called self hate of the nation. First we had the divorcee era, and after the civil rights movements, people still had problems, with non-males, non-Europeans, and non-heterosexuals. I myself, find that all of these things, are being attacked on a regular basis.

People grow up in broken homes, and barely have any values at all. People take up stuff in college, when their greatest problem should be getting out of poverty. People become violent offenders, and barely have any chance of making a family.

The problem is that most of these people, are the United States English Speaking people.

THE ARGUMENT IS THIS.

We have a majority of employees, and birth givers, who do not speak English, making high paying money. Basically we are living in a state of peace, and they ( the lawyers ) are trying to go after the people who do not speak english, and wreck up everything they hold dare.

To make matter worst, these people speaking in another language could be your doctor, speaking over you, in the ER, while making fun of you, and you wouldn't know it all. Imagine if your grand parent is a slave to an doctors, office and they go their not knowing anything about health, and the whole entire office is just one language as they speak to you, barely with any real responce, but 'You want to hire an aide, you want to hire an aide", then when you get that person and the nurse, they do not speaking English, and the Aides do not speak English, and somehow the only Aide to clean anything is the one English speaking one.

The Entire English langauge is luaghed upon and stoned, on paper. It is perfectly lawful to say English second, because these non speakers, might be the minority. Otherwise I will agree the entire English language is stoned, and made fun of, with a great deal of hate.

I myself have thought about migrating to another nation, with no English being spoken, because they would get along with me more, then the English speakers of this nation. Many men would rather marry a person from another country, then the ones here, not because of the lack of language because they wouldn't spend 99% of their time being verbally abused.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:33 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And? I know people who speak English and talk about other people in English. Heck, my wife and I were making fun of a hipster on the train yesterday and we were both speaking English.
What if he asked you to fight over it?

Old 06-21-2014, 11:36 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Should those entering the states attempt to learn the English language so they can communicate better in this country or should the responsibility fall on English speaking Americans to learn their language?

I would expect that if I moved to another country that I'd need to learn their language so I could communicate. It would be my responsibility. I wouldn't expect to put the responsibility on them to learn English.

What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1?
Direct your question to the private corporations that run their phone banks that way.

Quote:
Sure we are a country of diversity and immigrants and that's great and even though the US has never had an official language I feel right now most here speak English. Sometimes I feel that Spanish at some point could become more spoken in this country than English.
Relax.

Old 06-21-2014, 11:38 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalSin View Post

Many men would rather marry a person from another country, then the ones here, not because of the lack of language because they wouldn't spend 99% of their time being verbally abused.

Only if they have some sense and have no concept of the materialism American women are usually hung up with.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:31 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If one migrates to this country and they don't want to assimilate then they have no business being here. "United we stand, divided we fall".
Exactly. For some reason this position seems impossible to implement. Immigrants would be far better served all the way around by assimilating and becoming a part of this country rather than insisting on retaining their native languages and other non American customs and practices that would actually be better left back in the old country or else why bother even coming here at all.

By not assimilating into the American culture, language and customs they deliberately and by their own choice place themselves at a considerable disadvantage and remain outsiders.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:38 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can fight it all you want but Spanish is working it's way into the system.
When communities and schools turn majority Hispanic then the need to know Spanish becomes more important.

And they are turning.
So you are admitting that Hispanics are not assimilating into our country linguistically? Thanks for proving my point.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:02 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
English is far more flexible -- even in Spanish, they're borrowing like crazy from English
The only reason for that is that English is the big boy on the block right now.

Tell me how much English borrowed from French and Latin in the past? You speak nearly as much French as you do English. Half of the language you speak is not English, per se. It's borrowed Largely from French and Latin of the time.

English died (or at least was irreversibly changed) with the Normans.

Quote:
There's a reason that many millions of people are fleeing their Spanish speaking nations
And it has not a thing to do with language. If it did, you'd see all those immigrants slaving over English grammar books before they even came here. That's what I did before I lived in Peru for a time.

Quote:
In the Western hemisphere, the top 3 nations for standard of living and literacy rates are the USA, Canada, and Barbados -- all English speaking. The English speaking nations are First World nations. The Spanish speaking ones other than Spain lag way behind.
Could you show how the actual English language is responsible for any of this? We could go on for a month finding commonalities between those three countries, but correlation does not necessarily imply causation. The three could just as easily be speaking French or German or Kalaallisut and be just as prosperous. (in fact, arguably, French is Canada's language in the most prosperous region)

Language is communication. I can communicate in any language I know and that has a full grammar. There is nothing celestial about English any more than there is about French or Russian, other than, like I said, it's the big kid on the block temporarily, and it's what happens to be spoken where I am right now.

Old 06-21-2014, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What if he asked you to fight over it?
Well then we would have had one of those old fashion brawls I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies