Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 01:28 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,480,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Should those entering the states attempt to learn the English language so they can communicate better in this country or should the responsibility fall on English speaking Americans to learn their language?
The Citizenship test is in English unless:
"The law provides three exemptions from the English language requirement for naturalization. The exemptions are for applicants age 50 or over who have been permanent residents for at least 20 years; those at least age 55 with at least 15 years permanent residence; and those who have a mental or physical disability that prevents them from learning English. "

Old 06-20-2014, 01:30 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,674,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Damn! That should be the republican election platform.

"You are different, We are not going to bother to accommodate you"

Everyone would be amazed at the blatant honesty.
You think that already isn't their platform?

Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,203,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree. Save English Only for, you know, England (Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland are debatable). At least they have a legitimate case to make for English Only. Us? Not so much.

As for Puerto Rico, I think there needs to be better English teaching there. The Spanish have a decent grasp of the English language, more than Puerto Rico does, and Spain is an independent country. That's pretty pathetic.
Who's proposing English "only"? Making English our official language on the federal level is not English "only". People would still be able to speak other languages although I think it rude under certain circumstances when they know English. Half of our states have made English their official language.

On the federal level it would save a lot of tax dollars not having to print documents in several languages anymore.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:32 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,752,438 times
As long as we give them all their government handouts in their own country's language, they will continue to remain too lazy and unmotivated to learn or adapt in any way.

It's not so much that they should be forced, we shouldn't give preference to the least capable of assimilating in the first place. We should have some kind of standards for immigrants, give preference to the smarter ones, most skilled, and those who have learned English should be moved ahead if thise who cannot learn.

Old 06-20-2014, 03:38 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,191,292 times
Quote:
What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1?
You have way to much time on you hands.

And the really sad thing is, that you don't understand federalism.

The language of the Federal Government is English.

The several States? It's up to the people of those States to decide which languages are supported or not.

Aside from that....a private business can do whatever it wants to do with respect to language. If you don't like the way their customer service calls are handled, you can take your business elsewhere, or take it up with the company.

It is not in the purview of any government to tell any business how to set up their communications systems.

Constitutionally....

Mircea

Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 PM

7,816 posts, read 6,400,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Damn! That should be the republican election platform.

"You are different, We are not going to bother to accommodate you"

Everyone would be amazed at the blatant honesty.
It should be the motto for every Country. I already know the language of Fortune 500 companies, if I wanted to know the language of servants and landscapers I'd do it on my own.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM

10,126 posts, read 7,792,278 times
I just happened to be reading City Data TOS and English is only allowed.

City Data TOS: "English is the only language to be used on this board, use translation software if needed."

I wonder after taking the Citizenship test, if they become fluent in English or just learn enough for the test?

Here are the English requirements for the test:

The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. For the reading portion, you must read one out of three sentences correctly. For the writing test, you must write one out of three sentences correctly.

...and then what about those that might be here illegally and not taking the test?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:54 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,294,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchucker View Post
Is it beneficial for immigrants to the US to learn English? Absolutely. Should you have to learn another language as a US citizen? No. Should you have to press another button when calling a customer service hotline? Who gives a s***. Those things make you choose from an obnoxious amount of options, the language is the least of it. If Spanish is "1" and English is "2", then you can start ranting.

Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland all have indigenous languages. Save English only England only. If even.
Press 1 for English.
Press 2 for INS

Old 06-20-2014, 09:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,489,532 times
Quote:
Should those entering the states attempt to learn the English language so they can communicate better in this country or should the responsibility fall on English speaking Americans to learn their language?

I would expect that if I moved to another country that I'd need to learn their language so I could communicate. It would be my responsibility. I wouldn't expect to put the responsibility on them to learn English.

What brings this to my attention is when I call a customer service dept. I used to be that if you wanted to speak to a Spanish speaking rep, you pressed 2. Now I'm finding more and more times when I call customer service, they are requiring that I press '1' to speak to an English speaking person. I find that odd since I'm calling within the US to a US company. Why am I asked to press 1?

Sure we are a country of diversity and immigrants and that's great and even though the US has never had an official language I feel right now most here speak English. Sometimes I feel that Spanish at some point could become more spoken in this country than English.
Just press 1 and be done with it.

[not the end of the world]

Old 06-21-2014, 01:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,220,208 times
Quote:
I just happened to be reading City Data TOS and English is only allowed.

City Data TOS: "English is the only language to be used on this board, use translation software if needed."

I wonder after taking the Citizenship test, if they become fluent in English or just learn enough for the test?

Here are the English requirements for the test:

The English test has three components: reading, writing, and speaking. Your ability to speak English will be determined by a USCIS Officer during your eligibility interview on Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. For the reading portion, you must read one out of three sentences correctly. For the writing test, you must write one out of three sentences correctly.

...and then what about those that might be here illegally and not taking the test?
City data is run by a private company, they can make English a requirement if they want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies