Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? I don't want the top 1 percent's money and I haven't asked for anything from them. I don't ask for much in life but I do ask for a reasonable amount of space, peace, quiet, and solitude to be productive - things that apparently I can't have.
Stop asking and get busy making it happen.

Now....it is your turn to post...."I can't".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:06 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
If you're living paycheck to paycheck to pay the rent, it's extremely unlikely you're going to have any long-term capital holdings, and therefore it's extremely unlikely you are going to be enjoying any long-term capital gains.
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, you need to increase the size of your paychecks and also reduce your costs more. It's not complicated.

And I know the sob story about rent. Get roommates. I had them, lots of very successful people have, especially in places where it's expensive to live. When I worked with lawyers, I knew three associates who all made north of $125k, and were roommates in a rental for almost 4 years....so they could all save money. I had roommates into my early 30s, because 1) why not, and 2) to save money.

People with class envy always think everyone with more than them had it drop into their lap with Mommy/Daddy trust fund or something. Fact is, most of this country's wealthy are self-made wealthy and it's easily verifiable. Will some folks be like Paris Hilton and inherit gobs of money? Sure, and who cares. Nothing about Paria Hilton stops anyone from getting ahead in this country, same as all those "fallen idol" rich/celebrities that went from riches to rags with drugs/crime/etc don't do anything to help getting ahead.

Being rich is like being skinny. YOu can sit around and gripe while waiting for the medical world to come up with an EZ cure to fatness, or you can start working out more, eating less and doing it the old fashioned way.

Rich, like most things that affect the human nature in a positive or negative way, is an act of will. No more, no less....just a sheer act of will. You have that will, or you do not. Tax policy won't get it for you, class envy won't do it either. You choose to be successful, or you choose not to be. You choose every day, hundreds of times, over and over. Keep choosing to not do the little things that rich takes, and you won't be. It's not complicated.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I looked at each of the 10 and every one of those can be "enjoyed" by the middle class.

It's a spin to poke at those with class envy. Now if the government really wanted to help the poor and middle class they would make the tax code easy for everyone to understand.

Last edited by petch751; 06-23-2014 at 08:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2014, 08:12 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,401,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You think Romney cheated on his taxes? The IRS sure doesn't think so. Has he been charged?
No. From what I understand what Romney did was perfectly legal. His tax plans were quite a bit more complicated and complex than the Clintons. I should have been clearer on the term "tax avoidance." Tax avoidance may not include tax cheating. Taking advantage of the loopholes and deductions is not tax cheating obviously nor should it have been implied as such.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yes.

It's too bad many of the middle class voters fail to understand this.

The Democratic policies favor the poorest. Don't touch the richest. The middle class is screwed.

If Democrats were serious about tax reform they will attack with wealth tax so rich people just can't accumulate money and let it sit. And reform business taxes.

They don't because most of them are part of the wealthy class especially the US Senators. U really think John Edwards when he was Senator was serious about taxes when he exploited every legal tax law to minimize his taxes through his s corp?

You really think wealthy Democrats like Pelosi have any interest in a wealth tax that causes her to lose money?
If government was serious about helping the middle class they would simplify the tax code so everyone could understand it. As for wealth tax, Obama had people believing he was taxing wealth. He lied. And because people don't understand the difference between income, wealth and the tax code it was easy for him to get them chanting "tax the rich".

Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM

89,028 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
No. From what I understand what Romney did was perfectly legal. His tax plans were quite a bit more complicated and complex than the Clintons. I should have been clearer on the term "tax avoidance." Tax avoidance may not include tax cheating. Taking advantage of the loopholes and deductions is not tax cheating obviously nor should it have been implied as such.
What I don't understand is why the Clintons "claim" to support taxing the wealthy more, but then as members of that wealthy class, do everything they can to minimize their own tax bill?

Do as I say, not as I do? That's extremely hypocritical.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
??? I don't want the top 1 percent's money and I haven't asked for anything from them. I don't ask for much in life but I do ask for a reasonable amount of space, peace, quiet, and solitude to be productive - things that apparently I can't have.
You can't just "have" something. You have to earn it.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Obama told his supporters to HOPE that fact would CHANGE.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Is Insider Trading really earning something? How can this put me in prison but make billions for the entities the Fed decides it's O.K. for?

QE is designed to buy Treasuries and other assets, but the Fed does not simply go out and buy Treasuries itself; it does it through its primary dealers, who include of course banks like Goldman, Sachs. The Fed all but announces when it’s going to be doing this buying and in what quantity, which allows the banks to buy up this stuff at lower prices ahead of time and then sell it to the Fed at inflated cost.

Quantitative Easing': The Hidden Government Subsidy for Banks | Matt Taibbi | Rolling Stone

There was a link with tax deductions that was supposedly showing deductions for the rich. It was asked which of those only apply to the rich. Can I participate in Insider Trading?

Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If you're living paycheck to paycheck, you need to increase the size of your paychecks and also reduce your costs more. It's not complicated.

And I know the sob story about rent. Get roommates. I had them, lots of very successful people have, especially in places where it's expensive to live. When I worked with lawyers, I knew three associates who all made north of $125k, and were roommates in a rental for almost 4 years....so they could all save money. I had roommates into my early 30s, because 1) why not, and 2) to save money.

People with class envy always think everyone with more than them had it drop into their lap with Mommy/Daddy trust fund or something. Fact is, most of this country's wealthy are self-made wealthy and it's easily verifiable. Will some folks be like Paris Hilton and inherit gobs of money? Sure, and who cares. Nothing about Paria Hilton stops anyone from getting ahead in this country, same as all those "fallen idol" rich/celebrities that went from riches to rags with drugs/crime/etc don't do anything to help getting ahead.

Being rich is like being skinny. YOu can sit around and gripe while waiting for the medical world to come up with an EZ cure to fatness, or you can start working out more, eating less and doing it the old fashioned way.

Rich, like most things that affect the human nature in a positive or negative way, is an act of will. No more, no less....just a sheer act of will. You have that will, or you do not. Tax policy won't get it for you, class envy won't do it either. You choose to be successful, or you choose not to be. You choose every day, hundreds of times, over and over. Keep choosing to not do the little things that rich takes, and you won't be. It's not complicated.

??? I rent a ROOM in a house. I have four 'official' roommates plus several unofficial roommates including the resident drunk's friend and sex buddy who often stays overnight...the drunk's 30-yo daughter who stays over when she has a fight with her boyfriend...the drunk's trucker friend who slees on the couch when he's in town and not staying at his mother's. The drunk doesn't own the house he rents iit and then makes a bundle renting out the extra bedrooms (he doesn't have a job). (He seems to be good buds with the landlord who's cool with it.) The drunk causes an insane amount of drama especally with his live-in girlfriends. For quite a stretch he was fighting with his gf with her leaving (on her own or kicked out) three times a week, both were arrested for domestic violence twice. It doesn't help that I was raised by drunks and have PTSD. Sure, everythiing is an act of will with you, like I can just will myself a peaceful environment in which I can be productive, or will productivity in an environment of continual stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies