Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2014, 11:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Right because creating a business is so easy. All you need is will and imagination is that not what you think it takes to start a successful business.

I sorta flowcharted it in my head:

Can I create something that will sell (e.g. art, music, crafts)? --> NO
Can I sell a product FTF for someone (inside or outside sales) --> NO
Can I sell a product online? --SURE

I decided to resell used items online (low entry cost), after two failed attempts (one in a fad item which was very popular for a few years then fizzled, one in a huge category where I couldn't buy cheap enough to make money) I found a niche category where I could exploit a paucity of buyer information to buy low and then sell higher by providing the information the buyers were not given the first time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 11:53 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,061,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
And then of course those heirs will simply sit on all that cash.

My friend and I saw a boat in the Virgin Islands that had to cost 50 million dollars. It was actually rentable for 750,000 dollars per week. He sneered "some people have too much money". After researching it for five minutes on my iPad, I learned that it took 20 people to crew the boat and that it took a shipyard in the Pacific northwest with a workforce of almost 100 people almost two years to build.

Imagine that. All it took was five minutes and an iPad to make my friend look stupid.
No because obviously those 100 people who took 2 years to build that ship were not doing this in the hopes this one guy in the Virgin Islands would buy it. They had plenty other bidders for sure and so yes, some people do have too much money. The ship could have been utilized more efficiency if purchased by a group that had fair shares of money and paid in together...rather than hoarded by one person

Old 06-24-2014, 11:56 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,755,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

I decided to resell used items online (low entry cost), after two failed attempts (one in a fad item which was very popular for a few years then fizzled, one in a huge category where I couldn't buy cheap enough to make money) I found a niche category where I could exploit a paucity of buyer information to buy low and then sell higher by providing the information the buyers were not given the first time.
See, this is someone who keeps trying. It took me 3 times to get it right but I did. There is nothing like hiring your first employee, then your next, then the next. It's a hell of a lot better than hoping government will pay my way.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:26 AM

684 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
So.... why do you excuse the Clintons' legal maneuvering to reduce their tax as much as possible, but condemn Romney and others for legally doing the exact same thing?

I'm interested in this, actually. Can you quote me where I did this?

Old 06-25-2014, 04:48 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
What makes you think that having more skilled people is going raise wages for these lower wages. In fact what it will do is lower wages for the skilled people because there are to many people qualified for those jobs.
That's not going to be a problem.

Why good jobs are going unfilled - CNN.com

Old 06-25-2014, 05:09 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:

So if employers can't find the skills they want maybe they should TRAIN people in those skills. Duh. There are plenty of trainable intelligent people in this country. I guess employers want everything handed to them.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:41 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
So if employers can't find the skills they want maybe they should TRAIN people in those skills. Duh. There are plenty of trainable intelligent people in this country. I guess employers want everything handed to them.
There are at least two businesses that I know of that sell simulators/software to employers for exactly that type of training: VISTA and ForgeFX. Even with those resources, employers still can't find people intelligent enough to satisfactorily complete simulator training.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:50 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,276,328 times
Quote:

Seems to be either the companies do not want to train or pay a good wage. This still does not disprove my original point that there are just not enough high paying jobs for everyone.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:52 AM

Quote:
There are at least two businesses that I know of that sell simulators/software to employers for exactly that type of training: VISTA and ForgeFX. Even with those resources, employers still can't find people intelligent enough to satisfactorily complete simulator training.
How do you not know they can't find people and it is just that the company has unreasonable expectations for the job?

Old 06-25-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Good for you but because you did it does not prove anyone can you do know most business that get started fail don' t you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies