Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Seems to be either the companies do not want to train or pay a good wage.
Not true. They're saying they can't find people with adequate skills. One of those skills would be the ability to satisfactorily complete simulator training. I've already listed two companies that sell simulators/software to employers specifically for such training purposes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
How do you not know they can't find people and it is just that the company has unreasonable expectations for the job?
This is the problem:
Quote:
"It may sound like manufacturers are being too fussy. But they face a real problem.

As manufacturing work gets more taxing, manufacturers are looking at a work force that is actually becoming less literate and less skilled.

...[According to ETS -- the people who run the country's standardized tests] In 1992, 17 percent of Americans scored at the very lowest literacy level. On present trends, 27 percent of Americans will score at the very lowest level in 2030."
Why good jobs are going unfilled - CNN.com

Americans are getting dumber and dumber.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:43 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So if employers can't find the skills they want maybe they should TRAIN people in those skills. Duh. There are plenty of trainable intelligent people in this country. I guess employers want everything handed to them.
It sounds like you want employees to have everything handed to them. To learn a skill while being paid.

Why would an employer pay someone and train them, when they can just hire someone that already has that skill?

When will people understand that it's not an employer's obligation to provide a job. They hire a person because they possess something that benefits the employer.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:44 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not true. They're saying they can't find people with adequate skills. One of those skills would be the ability to satisfactorily complete simulator training. I've already listed two companies that sell simulators/software to employers specifically for such training purposes.
For the wage they are willing to pay?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
For the wage they are willing to pay?
Well, for obvious reasons, those jobs don't pay as well as that of a neurosurgeon, but they pay much more than store clerk or burger flipper.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:28 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I sorta flowcharted it in my head:

Can I create something that will sell (e.g. art, music, crafts)? --> NO
Can I sell a product FTF for someone (inside or outside sales) --> NO
Can I sell a product online? --SURE

I decided to resell used items online (low entry cost), after two failed attempts (one in a fad item which was very popular for a few years then fizzled, one in a huge category where I couldn't buy cheap enough to make money) I found a niche category where I could exploit a paucity of buyer information to buy low and then sell higher by providing the information the buyers were not given the first time.
You are looking for a clean easy job/business....get your hands dirty...sweat a little.

Old 06-25-2014, 07:30 AM

684 posts, read 825,635 times
Hello InformedConsent.

I'm still waiting for you to produce the quote that showed me condemning Mitt Romney for something and supporting Bill Clinton for the same thing.

Could you quote where I said anything like that?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempusFugitive View Post
Hello InformedConsent.

I'm still waiting for you to produce the quote that showed me condemning Mitt Romney for something and supporting Bill Clinton for the same thing.
It was the collective you, not the individual you. This thread is full of people condemning Romney but supporting the Clintons for doing the exact same thing.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:06 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
How do you not know they can't find people and it is just that the company has unreasonable expectations for the job?
My company went through 4 different people over 5 years before they found me for the job I currently possess. It wasn't for lack of training budget, lack of support, or lack of trying. The previous 4 were simply not capable of doing the job to the standards my employer expects and that I can deliver. 2 lied on their resume about how technically skilled they were, one had no desire to learn, and one had a great work ethic but was entirely out of their depth on about 75% of what this job requires.

At a previous employer, we needed almost a year to fill a junior position that really just needed someone reasonably smart with a few educational requirements. The only qualified applicants we got were all H1Bs.

At another previous employer, when I gave my notice, we sifted through 400+ resumes submitted for my job, found maybe a dozen worth interviewing, and of the ones we interviewed, the person who got the job was the most intelligent and experienced, but also was the best interview and was the only person who wore a jacket and tie.

Having read resumes, interviewed tons of people, written job postings aplenty, etc....it isn't unreasonable expectations, believe me. The pool of actually employable people gets smaller every day in this country. Nation of dopes.

Old 06-25-2014, 08:16 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It sounds like you want employees to have everything handed to them. To learn a skill while being paid.

Why would an employer pay someone and train them, when they can just hire someone that already has that skill?

When will people understand that it's not an employer's obligation to provide a job. They hire a person because they possess something that benefits the employer.

Um...because employers are complaining that they can't just hire someone that already has that skill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies