Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
You could pay for a cheap plan, but what protection did you have? Too many cheap plans didn't cover anything useful or would drop you in an irregular heartbeat. One sick kid could put you into bankruptcy, as happened to way too many people. We needed a change in the way insurance/health care was offered. ACA was the compromise because the Republicans refused to do it any other way. Every liberal I know was and is for single payer or universal coverage. We'll get it one of these days, but meanwhile...some folks are in a bind.

I'm sure people complained about seat-belt laws and the removal of lead from gasoline too...but the safety gains were real. They are real with ACA as well.
The Bronze level plans are not very different from the catastrophic plans that were eliminated due to the ACA. A family can still, very easily go bankrupt if they have a Bronze plan.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:09 AM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
Quote:
You could pay for a cheap plan, but what protection did you have? Too many cheap plans didn't cover anything useful or would drop you in an irregular heartbeat. One sick kid could put you into bankruptcy, as happened to way too many people. We needed a change in the way insurance/health care was offered. ACA was the compromise because the Republicans refused to do it any other way. Every liberal I know was and is for single payer or universal coverage. We'll get it one of these days, but meanwhile...some folks are in a bind.

I'm sure people complained about seat-belt laws and the removal of lead from gasoline too...but the safety gains were real. They are real with ACA as well.
Obama is an idiot and a coward and compromised at every corner with the ACA. He kowtowed on way too many points in the sake of "compromise" and do you see any conservative happy about it?

If he was going to make them take their medicine and swallow it it should have only been for single payer and no less. Instead what we get is a Frankenstein's monster of a bill that doesn't get us where we need to be.

But then again, when has Obama done anything liberal? He's right of center through and through. He can probably retire to Guantanamo when he leaves office. It will surely still be open then.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:13 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:

I have a permanent disability....from a seat belt and air bag.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:15 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Nope.

The bill is irrelevant for the purposes of this discussion. Any premium I am quoted is simply my quoted premium and would not be applicable to anyone outside of my sex, age, smoking status, zip, and covered individuals. Ergo, my quoted premium is irrelevant on whether or not low deductible/office visit plans exist.

If you are truly interested, the premiums (for the previous plans) ranged between $250-$286 vs $120 for a plan with a $6K deductible, but that tells you nothing as those are my premiums and would likely be different for you and the OP.
Me????

No thanks.....the system put me in the Medicaid group.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:21 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,719,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
did obama give an executive order to remove it?

we just got hit with a bill for $827 (have to pay deductible first) which would have been $75 before obamacare. plus our insurance premiums went up 60% - and our employer says it will get worse next time premiums are figured.

what an absolute mess. nothing is fixed. this won't end well.
I dont see how if you are working for a private or public employer how your premiums would be impacted that much by the ACA. Most werent impacted that much. The ACA is relatively expensive because its a relatively small pool of people that has a lot of people with pre-existing conditions. There are taxes that employers pay for each employee insured but that is relatively small. Unless you are buying from the exchange and fall outside the 400% FPL its doubtful Obamacare has impacted your rates. Most people who attack Obamacare dont even know what the 400% FPL is and that it is the major flaw with the ACA.

Costs have been going up for a long time. The ACA is starting to change things. We saw in the first quarter health care spending went down. Heres an interesting article on the pressures on the health care industry.

The New Normal of Healthcare Spending - Forbes

Old 07-01-2014, 09:22 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Ergo you simply waste peoples time with misleading information and rates that can't possibly be confirmed. Not to mention plan specifics.

Anytime someone comes to the defense of obmacare, it is simply an attempt to validate their theft from other taxpayers. plain and simple.
What misleading information? I gave you the source, zip, plan name, deductible amount and copay amounts. As I said though, I'm not going to list every plan for you - especially when you can go to the website and confirm the info I gave you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The Bronze level plans are not very different from the catastrophic plans that were eliminated due to the ACA. A family can still, very easily go bankrupt if they have a Bronze plan.
$12K isn't likely to bankrupt anyone. The previous plans didn't have any type of limit on the deductible or required coverages.

Quote:

So what if people chose cheap plans? It was their choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Me????

You can still buy private insurance unless MI has a state law prohibiting people with income below a certain threshold from buying private insurance.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:50 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Me????

How did that happen?

I thought you had 'all the money you could ever need' as you stated in previous posts.

If you are wealthy you can still get government assistance?

Wow, that's nice!
Hope you enjoy my tax contributions!

Last edited by Fox Terrier; 07-01-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 07-01-2014, 09:53 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
$12K isn't likely to bankrupt anyone. The previous plans didn't have any type of limit on the deductible or required coverages.
Maybe or maybe not. It depends. Just like $20K bankrupting a family (or not) would depend on their individual circumstances.

Right now I think that those who are self employed are the ones who have been most adversely affected by this legislation. I am looking forward to seeing how things change when the employer mandate goes into effect. It will be interesting, I'm sure.

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
Why do I doubt that the OP is telling the truth?

Old 07-01-2014, 09:58 AM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
How did that happen?

I thought you had 'all the money you could ever need' as you stated is previous posts.

If you are wealthy you can still get government assistance?

Wow, that's nice!
Hope you enjoy my tax contributions!
Driller1 is an advocate of doing anything they can to reduce their taxable income. 90% of their posts are about lowing their taxable income. They lower the income to the point where the government thinks they are poor and they can get handouts while holding on to wealth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies