Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 11:29 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,521,064 times

Advertisements

One of the leftwing mods here suspended me for using the word "Negro" to describe, well, Negroes. She called me a racist!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 11:54 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Before you answer, state your own race.....

This was brought up in a discussion and got me to thinking about the Redskins.
I was curious as to whether the "United Negro College Fund" name is offensive to anyone.

I'm white, by the way.
#1. There's no such thing as "race", it's a social construct which has no basis in science. The word "ethnicity" is accurate.

#2. The word "negro" hasn't been used with regularity since the 1960's.

#3. The UNCF is an established organization founded in 1944 when the word was used with regularity.

#4. What's the purpose of this thread?

#5. Were you born before 1950? Because I imagine that's the only age group that would care about the word "negro" being offensive because they still want to use it.

Old 07-03-2014, 11:56 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,938 times
before 2001 I had a race.

The word Negro is okay to use. Just make sure your using other fancy hard to understand words as well. Personally I prefer the word negro, this way an racist person could imagine they are saying the word N-word. Leave the slang to the youth.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:01 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,040,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
#1. There's no such thing as "race", it's a social construct which has no basis in science. The word "ethnicity" is accurate.

#2. The word "negro" hasn't been used with regularity since the 1960's.

#3. The UNCF is an established organization founded in 1944 when the word was used with regularity.

#4. What's the purpose of this thread?

#5. Were you born before 1950? Because I imaging that's the only age group that would care about the word "negro" being offensive because they still want to use it.

You obviously haven't read any of the thread. Go back and do so to answer your question #4.

But here, I'll do it for you: Why is Redskin offensive and negro is not?

I wouldn't call a black person a negro just like I wouldn't call an indian person a redskin. BUT...I wouldn't have any problem saying to a black person "Hey, I contributed some money to the United Negro College Fund today" or to a native American "I really hope the Redskins beat the Cowboys this Sunday".

It's all in the context.

The point is, this whole think about the Redskins name is silly.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:05 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
"Negro" was the correct word for people from Africa when I was growing up. Since then I've been kept on my toes with Black, people of color, African-American.

I don't care to offend people and I don't care to appear out-of-date or ignorant. So I'm willing to cooperate and use the latest correct appellation.

I'd like to make an observation about how, in this case, the left uses language, however. And that is that language can be used as a means of maintaining power over another group.

Why isn't a name, particularly one chosen by the group itself, good enough to keep? Why must it be regularly changed?I think there's a reason why the general populace is kept jumping through hoops to learn the new names for feminists, gay people, minorities is that in this way the power is reserved for those who make the rules.

Anyone who doesn't keep up in the game then can be quickly labeled as a hater, prejudiced, whatever just for the simple mistake of not being informed. It saves all that time and trouble of actually having to prove that others may have hatred in their hearts and dismisses them and their equality in a moment's time. Quick power play. Game, set and match.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Race: Human

Offended: No. But "blanco" really gets my goat.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:27 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Gee...would you go up to a black person you didn't know on the street and say "Hey negro!" If the answer is "No," then yes, it's offensive.
Ah the slippery slope in action.

The least probable projected behavior does not an offensive word make.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

23,561 posts, read 17,232,713 times
"Yes, it's the Spanish word for black, but you're not Hispanic."

So the sanitization of the language begins. Eliminate all words in common usage from other languages.

I imagine some will not be satisfied until petroglyphs repalce language.

No one shall use or learn the language of a race or ethnicity that is not genetically their own.

Each 'gang' shall have proprietary code words not to be spoken by other tribes or gangs under social justice penalty.

Old 07-03-2014, 12:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
My dad used the term "negro" all the time, but not in an offensive way.
-"Honey, I've invited Tony from work to have Thanksgiving with us. Nobody should spend Thanksgiving alone."
-"Which Tony? The Italian?"
-"No, the Negro"
-"Oh, good. I like him."

Old 07-03-2014, 12:43 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
A word being offensive or not all depends on the context that it is being used. It does not matter to me if the term redskin is offensive or not because I am not a native American. It is not my call to determine what is offensive to another group of people. If they say it is offensive to them I have to accept the fact that it is offensive. I'm not sure why this issue is so hard to understand. You do not have the right to tell someone else what they should or should not be offended by. This is not rocket science.

Reggie and black
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies