Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:37 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Conservatives, by definition, are in favor of less government whether they hate people or not.

Conservative constitutionalists, like myself, are in favor of freedom that does not impose on me the penalty for someone else's poor judgement.

If you want to smoke pot, I say fine, but you should not be eligible for welfare, disability or unemployment benefits of any kind.

After all, anyone who, after weighing the pros and cons of drug use, has decided to smoke marijuana has demonstrated the decision making ability of someone far too stupid to make such an important decision.
So I was stupid enough to try coffee when I was younger and now I'm addicted to it every day. Should I NOT be eligible for welfare, disability or unemployment benefits of any kind? I could blow some of those entitlements on coffee, you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
This is certainly an example of hypocrisy at it's finest. It does give states back some of the power they have lost which the Republicans should support.

The "left" has argued that states rights was code words for racism. So I guess this shows that Congress is full of hypocritical racists.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:26 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

HR 4660 essentially prohibits the DOJ funding to be used to prevent states from implementing their own state laws that authorize the use, distribution, possession, or cultivation of medical marijuana.
It's a massive appropriations bill. If you want to legalize marijuana at the federal level then lets legalize marijuana. This back door dealing where you are attaching things like this to other bills needs to stop.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:40 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,435,394 times
Quote:
Conservatives, by definition, are in favor of less government whether they hate people or not.

this could be true

but once in power, those in power seek to grow said power

there are no conservatives, once elected

they are only conservative when it comes to turning down the other side's requests.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:42 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
They're for states rights when the issue works in their favor. Otherwise, I don't think they really are.
Describes their views on size of government and spending too, for both when it suits, against when it doesn't.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:49 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's a massive appropriations bill. If you want to legalize marijuana at the federal level then lets legalize marijuana. This back door dealing where you are attaching things like this to other bills needs to stop.
Well, I have no issue with legalizing or at least decriminalizing marijuana for personal or medical use, but this is an appropriation issue. The bill limits the DOJ funding from being used to conduct raids in states that have approved Cannabis for medical use. On the one hand, federal law trumps state law, but on the other hand Republicans say they want states to be able to set their own laws and policies.

Imagine if you will a bill prohibiting ATF funds from being used to raid dealers or individuals in states that set lower gun regulations, this seems like a similar situation.

Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Why doesn't the Fed gov. just remove MJ from the federally controlled substance list and let the states take care of it? Why do they want to keep it on the list of controlled substances but then add a bill like this? It makes NO sense and really shows that they aren't serious and still want Fed. control over it.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:01 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:

Conservative constitutionalists, like myself, are in favor of freedom that does not impose on me the penalty for someone else's poor judgement.

If you want to smoke pot, I say fine, but you should not be eligible for welfare, disability or unemployment benefits of any kind.

After all, anyone who, after weighing the pros and cons of drug use, has decided to smoke marijuana has demonstrated the decision making ability of someone far too stupid to make such an important decision.
conservatives are not by definition in favor of less government. This is another lie that conservatives gave fooled themselves they believe in theory.

conservatives support huge expansions of government power and have done so repeatedly.

Again the core of conservatism is exclusion. All you set suggesting is that you get to determine who gets excluded for only certain government services based on your own ugly personal biases.

This is insane thinking. Participation in mist government programs is based on eligibility. If you use drugs we don't say hey you can't participate in the government program that is the home mortgage tax deduction.

If you do drugs, we don't say your children or yourself can't participate in the 401k government program.

So your idea gives government more power. Gives government agencies more power to look into someone's life, because those are people you hate.

conservatives are for huge government and less freedom, and that's what your little example just demonstrated.

Old 07-07-2014, 06:35 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Only if it's opposed against someone with a "D" after their name. States right for people like you and me? Ha, ha, ha OK. That's like saying that the Democrats support the poor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies