Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2007, 11:11 AM

229 posts, read 170,589 times

Advertisements

No matter what anyone says, widespread marajuana use will cause a lot of problems. It leads to apathy and a general malaise (I've seen the effects up close), which today's youth can ill afford. Put up some barriers; fines, education classes, and if they refuse that, then some jail time. These 3 strike offenders who end up in jail for life for being caught with drugs is ridiculous.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Well, most people who advocate legalized marijuana don't want it legal for all, meaning as with alcohol no one under 21 would be allowed to buy it.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
If drug users are poor, then why are they spending what little money they have on drugs?????
They sure seem poor and posssibly addicted. I never hear of drug raids being made on country clubs. It's usually in the lower middle to poor neighborhoods. If only the cops raided the wealthy for drugs, those folks would scream bloody murder for a drastic change in drug laws and get their way. Come to think of it, you rarely hear of sorority and fraternity houses getting raided for drugs on college campuses. IF only they did, maybe the wealthy would scream loudly enough over what happened to their kids to their legislators to force some sanity into the drug laws.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, most people who advocate legalized marijuana don't want it legal for all, meaning as with alcohol no one under 21 would be allowed to buy it.
Just watch the outrage for the alcohol laws (and many others) really soon. I think a revolution is coming.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 PM

610 posts, read 3,320,268 times
Quote:
They sure seem poor and posssibly addicted. I never hear of drug raids being made on country clubs. It's usually in the lower middle to poor neighborhoods. If only the cops raided the wealthy for drugs, those folks would scream bloody murder for a drastic change in drug laws and get their way. Come to think of it, you rarely hear of sorority and fraternity houses getting raided for drugs on college campuses. IF only they did, maybe the wealthy would scream loudly enough over what happened to their kids to their legislators to force some sanity into the drug laws.
Drugs and alcohol have been used as "Relief" by the poorer folks since the beginning. It ruins the whole program when people of wealth turn to them for recreation. They don't need relief - but the poor, hard-working folks do.
So, besides of what is addictive and what isn't, the poor "need" it.
Wine?

Old 12-12-2007, 01:04 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
That's mostly stereotyping. As I said, I'm a pot-smoker, and far from poor (I have a master's degree & professional job that pays well above average). Most of my friends also smoke, and are either middle or upper-class, as are many of my pot-smoking colleagues and former grad school classmates - not to mention a few professors, LOL! Now of course I live in the Bay Area, where it's widely accepted & basically legal... but I doubt we're the only exceptions to the "rule," no matter what state/city you're looking in. That's not to say it isn't a BIGGER problem in lower-class neighborhoods, though it's usually the hard drugs that cause real trouble there.

Something like 75-80% of ALL Americans have at least tried marijuana, and not that many are poor and/or hardcore addicts. And considering a much smaller percentage continuously smoke, this kinda negates your "it's an addiction" argument. Sure, it can be addictive, but we're not talking about heroin or crack here. All drugs are NOT the same, which is why they should be treated individually - and I personally believe marijuana should fall under the same category as alcohol and certain prescription drugs.

P.S. When I was an undergrad in particular, finding pot in dorms & sororities/frat-houses was a regular occurrence... where do you think we scored our smoke??

Old 12-12-2007, 01:12 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Sounds like a paraphrase of Freewheelin' Franklin's famous saying,

"Dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no dope."
Yes... that's the one I was thinking of! Maybe that was my own paraphrasing, LOL.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You can't seriously be referring to pot here! I've been a pot-smoker (legally now) for a good part of my life, and never met somebody who steals for weed... maybe if they're high on something else at the time, but for pot alone? Highly unlikely, unless they're just a kleptomaniac.

P.S. I'm far from poor, and would never buy weed over paying rent/bills... though I do like the old joke about "Better to have weed and no money, than money and no weed!"
If you read my previous post, I was referring to all drugs, not just marijuana. I agree that pot smokers are generally not thieves, but addicts of harder drugs are, more often.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I was a cop for 25 years. In my opinion Marijuana causes a "mental dependancy." The people using it start to believe that they can think better and handle life's problems better when they are stoned. Some want to be stoned almost all the time. I don't see marijuana use as a good thing. That is my opinion that was formed after years of handling users and going to homes where the users couldn't even think straight anymore. I don't even care about statistics, I am going by real life experiences. You can NEVER change a user's mind because they don't think like non users. They always think that they know better and that their thinking is sharper than others.
Yes, you may have been a cop for many years dealing with addicts. But you must realize that many of those addicts that you have dealt with, not only have smoked weed but probably have done another drug which can be more dangerous and potent than "weed." Usually, many of those addicts start out smoking what they think is only weed, but their dealer probably laced their "10-sac or dub" with cocaine or another drug. because of their stupidity, they subsequently became addicted to what they thought was 'pure' weed. i believe the gov't. should legalize the use of marijuana, not only to get the experience of being high, but also, there are benefits to the sell and trade of the dried hemp. the gov't. can release those who are in jail for the possession of marijuana, and have more room for those who have committed a greater crime. the gov't. can earn a great revenue if the distribution of marijuana is legalized. so, overall, i think legalizing marijuana is the way to go.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:59 PM

626 posts, read 993,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I know that a lot of people do get addicted, regardless of whether its a physical or psychological addiction. People also get addicted to alcohol, tobacco, gambling, etc. but that doesn't make it illegal, just regulated. I'm simply saying that just because some people can't handle doesn't mean its right to criminalize those who can. And our police officers and prisons certainly don't need to be tied up with weed issues with all the violent criminals that they already don't have enough funds or space for.
Some people think we need a Nanny State. It's sad that these people can't see beyond the end of their own noses. They simply cannot see how the Nanny State is self-destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies