Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 02:01 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,496 times

Advertisements

Thanks Winnie. I just couldn't believe that smoking pot was good for a person as indicated in some posts! Your post was most helpful and seems to be the logical explanation that I suspected. Very informative!

Old 11-09-2006, 02:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
And the whole pain management issue is a crock as well.

There are many, many drugs available LEGALLY for pain that are far more powerful than pot, including one of the strongest known analgesics: Fentanyl. Which distrubingly is becoming a target for abusers... That stuff is used with extreme caution when used by medical professionals nevermind some idiot kid.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:25 PM

231 posts, read 508,990 times
Default uh, let me re-word that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeño View Post
according to Yahoo.news, the number of middle-aged men and women who died from alcohol related diseases has doubled since 1991. Still no proof sited that smoking ganja creates health risks- although studies have been conducted that suggest proof that it does not.
I must`ve been high. Ok, there are health risks. But there are also health benefits. I just remember an article (which I have found again) on Yahoo news, but the article was about there being no connection between smoking weed and lung cancer (that has always been my biggest fear, so I`ve subconsciously thrown all the other health risks out the window) Anyways, it probably doesn`t cause lung cancer- which is cool. HOW??? Well, THC has many more chemicals than cig. smoke, and pot smoke is usually held in the lungs longer, so it basically kills off the cells that would normally be cancerous.

It`s a pretty interesting article: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12943013 (broken link)

(I yahoo-searched: study smoking marijuana and cancer)

Old 11-09-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
And the whole pain management issue is a crock as well.

There are many, many drugs available LEGALLY for pain that are far more powerful than pot, including one of the strongest known analgesics: Fentanyl. Which distrubingly is becoming a target for abusers... That stuff is used with extreme caution when used by medical professionals nevermind some idiot kid.
hmmm. seems like more of a reason to have pot legalized, if nothing else for medical reasons. There are obviously more dangerous, and legal, drugs available, so why is marijuana NOT? Some people don`t want to take pills for their sickness, I know I wouldn`t. It should be up to the sick person or doctor what kind of medicine to take, not some politician.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 PM

Default Not All Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo istmeño View Post
I must`ve been high. Ok, there are health risks. But there are also health benefits. I just remember an article (which I have found again) on Yahoo news, but the article was about there being no connection between smoking weed and lung cancer (that has always been my biggest fear, so I`ve subconsciously thrown all the other health risks out the window) Anyways, it probably doesn`t cause lung cancer- which is cool. HOW??? Well, THC has many more chemicals than cig. smoke, and pot smoke is usually held in the lungs longer, so it basically kills off the cells that would normally be cancerous.
This was also part of the same article:"The results should not be taken as a blank check to smoke pot, which has been associated with problems like cognitive impairment and chronic bronchitis, said Dr. John Hansen-Flaschen, chief of pulmonary and critical care at the University of Pennsylvania Health System in Philadelphia."

Last edited by Yac; 11-10-2006 at 02:45 AM..

Old 11-09-2006, 04:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Keeping Pot illegal is just an excuse by Big Government Beaurcrats to keep the revenue coming into the hog pen.

You smoke a doobie you get a buzz and arrested. You eat the worm you get all freaky and stuff and thats ok.

Just another thought, have you been into one of those GNC stores lately. Talk about crap that should be illegal. How much of that witch doctor crap eats your heart alive?

Old 11-09-2006, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Effects of Heavy Marijuana Use on Learning and Social Behavior

Students who smoke marijuana get lower grades and are less likely to graduate from high school, compared with their nonsmoking peers. A study of 129 college students found that, among those who smoked the drug at least 27 of the 30 days prior to being surveyed, critical skills related to attention, memory, and learning were significantly impaired, even after the students had not taken the drug for at least 24 hours. These "heavy" marijuana abusers had more trouble sustaining and shifting their attention and in registering, organizing, and using information than did the study participants who had abused marijuana no more than 3 of the previous 30 days. As a result, someone who smokes marijuana every day may be functioning at a reduced intellectual level all of the time.

More recently, the same researchers showed that the ability of a group of long-term heavy marijuana abusers to recall words from a list remained impaired for a week after quitting, but returned to normal within 4 weeks. Thus, some cognitive abilities may be restored in individuals who quit smoking marijuana, even after long-term heavy use.

Workers who smoke marijuana are more likely than their coworkers to have problems on the job. Several studies associate workers' marijuana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' compensation claims, and job turnover. A study among postal workers found that employees who tested positive for marijuana on a pre-employment urine drug test had 55 percent more industrial accidents, 85 percent more injuries, and a 75-percent increase in absenteeism compared with those who tested negative for marijuana use. In another study, heavy marijuana abusers reported that the drug impaired several important measures of life achievement including cognitive abilities, career status, social life, and physical and mental health.

Effects of Exposure During Pregnancy

Addictive Potential

Long-term marijuana abuse can lead to addiction for some people; that is, they abuse the drug compulsively even though it interferes with family, school, work, and recreational activities. Drug craving and withdrawal symptoms can make it hard for long-term marijuana smokers to stop abusing the drug. People trying to quit report irritability, sleeplessness, and anxiety. They also display increased aggression on psychological tests, peaking approximately one week after the last use of the drug.
I don`t disagree with any of this. I can really only speak from personal experience, and what I`ve seen happen from this drug to other people- which is basically nothing. YES! There is short-term memory loss- but according to Winnie`s sources, that is re-cuperable!! (Nothing more annoying than looking for your keys and/or wallet every other day, and leaving your shoes at the beach (new study: short-term memory loss is ALSO caused by surfing perfect waves for 6 hours in a day) My study says no lung cancer. Smoking cigarrettes somehow makes you short of breath much more than heavy pot-smoking (based on personal experiments). As a surfer, you notice these things. When I was a child, a could hold my breath for over a minute, and I still can. During my three-year stint with cigarettes I noticed I was huffing and puffing a lot more. Couldn`t tell you why, my guess is that cig-smokers inhale more smoke? More lung-damage?

Studies show that pot smoking "staves off" alsheimers (interesting: at the cost of short-term memory, down the line, you protect your long-term memory? Well, no alsheimers as easily.

Addictive? Yes. Withdrawls?: irratability, difficulty sleeping
Addiction also has to do with genes. I am more prone to addictive behavior than most, I think.

I smoked all through college and had a higher GPA than in high school. But everyone is different!

I`m rambling, but you can find negative health effects in lots of legal activities: breathing smog, for one. Swimming in a polluted river/ocean. Ever tried surfing in LA after a rainstorm? And for the most part it is legal. I say legalize it.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Reefer is addictive.
Think of all the Ring Ding's you crave. It makes you addicted to Ring Ding's

For the record, I have not touched the stuff in 20+ years and only a few times then.

I am Libertarian though and don't believe in government controlling our personal affairs, basically since they don't care anyway since it is a large source of revenue for the big government boys

Old 11-09-2006, 05:12 PM

There is no end to debates with a pot smoker; they will always think that they are right, no matter what the facts are. I give up my position in this debate.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 PM

13 posts, read 32,850 times
I don't think legalizing pot is the best, in Alaska we already have a problem with drugs and alcohol, and I think if you legalized it we would see a lot more DUI's,and DWI's etc. Last election Alaska voters rejected legalizing pot becuase I think most people feel the same way. My sister is a Libertarian and I also belive in small government, but legalizing pot doesn't make sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies