Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2007, 02:16 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseba View Post
I've had meetings with my boss (in my former company) where time and time again I asked to expand my responsibilities. He yes'd me to death. Since he didn't assign me to new tasks, I took it upon myself to do new tasks, and then asked for feedback. I never got feedback or any kind of critique at all.

I was basically told in corporate speak that I should be satisfied with the position that I had been doing for the prior two years, even though it no longer challenged me. I was the only female in my group. The boys routinely, by the way, used to take a break and play knock hockey in the backroom. I had a talk with my boss about that too and said that it is bad form to invite only the guys, even if I was inclined to say no, that wasn't the point.
Rosba if it makes you feel better I hate all my managers equally. LOL Sex is not a factor.
We never invite managers to offsite functions on my team. We are civil to them at work but never more than that. We don't trust them, and for the most part don't get to know them well enough to like or dislike them. Some teams pal around with them and have paid the price. Not mine. Managers think they are part of our team and on paper I guess they are. In reality we tend to succeed inspite of them not because they were of any real benifit. No coincidence that our production is higher on night shift and weekends when managers do what ever they do. Keep thier eggs warm, help each other shed thier scaley skins etc. LOL J/K hmmm maybe not. I don't know what it is to be a manager let alone a female manager. My wife has friends who are managers in another part of the factory. She is Thai and so are they. They are allowed to come to our home and its eye opening to hear what they say. Some stories outrage me the harrassment they tolerate. They are tiny women very beautiful. I coach them to stand the offenders up and send them out the gate with no job.
My managers dare not come to my house LOL. It just might not be safe for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sure - I buy real estate. I can finance 100% of the purchase price - I put none of my own money - I turn around and sell it for more than what I paid for the property. I made money yet, used none of my own
Ah... flipping houses. YOu have to have enough financial credibility to get someone to lend you money. People who don't have much money can't do that.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:38 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Your wife's pay and promotions will not keep up with her teammates -- unless she is one in a zillion. Yeah, Mattel had a female CEO but but that is a total rarity. I can't remember how many women are CEOs of Fortunate 500 companies but the number is very small when you consider that more women than men graduate from college.

Remember the "glass ceiling"? It's still there. Where it is placed depends on the company but most women can only get so far.
I guess I have the one in a zillion then. And I work for the one in a zillions as well... my SVP is a woman. My wife's SVP at her last company was a woman. Her director now is a woman. And this is all in IT which statistically has very few women. She's 31 and makes more than most 50 year olds, men or women. Maybe it's all about attitude and what job you pick...

Also, not everyone wants to move up the corporate ladder, I for one have no desire to be in management.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:39 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,950 times
Quote:
Ah... flipping houses. YOu have to have enough financial credibility to get someone to lend you money. People who don't have much money can't do that.
Hmm... how'd we get into this subprime mess again?

Old 12-26-2007, 03:46 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I work in a factory. Women are paid equal to men. The complaint is that women don't get the same opprotunity to advance..
This is true. But, in our factory promotion hinges on several factors or abilities.
1. Mechanical. One must achieve a high level of mechanical skill
2. Process knowledge. One must achieve an advanced knowledge of our process.
3. Leadership. One must be able to coordinate a group of people and achieve comparable results to their counter parts.
The rub. Many women have been promoted to the higher tech levels without demonstrating mechanical abilities. They are also held to a lower expectation all in the name of afirmative action.
This has caused several issues. 1 being that their teams tend to perform at a lower ability. ie slower reaction to problems. Downtime matters , it is lost production.
Its not always their fault more often than not its due to poor training as they came up through the ranks. Go sweep the floor while us men fix the machine mentality..
That said no one would send me off to sweep the floor if I were working towards promotion. I would stand my ground and demand my right to learn.
Ha! This part of your post is quite funny to me since it's true! My last job was as a manager in what was basically a factory. I didn't know how to run any of the machinery but I learned how they operated, the principles behind the equipment, how to do set-ups, etc. I also learned what it took to fix problems (mechanical problems) and what all the secrets were (where things were hidden, like certain parts). Because of this, I was not an easy supervisor to work with a lot of times because I didn't buy the answer "I can't fix it." I would tell them how to fix it, then come back to see if they fixed it. If someone couldn't fix it, I'd get someone over there who could. I also quickly caught on to those who turned down the speed on the equipment, the ones who would let bad product go by -- the slackers who thought they could pull one over on me because I was a woman who never ran any of the equipment.

In all my years there, I never once ran a piece of equipment or fixed anything -- but I sat by diligently and watched others setting up, running, fixing -- and learned by watching. Fortunately, my shop foreman in the most difficult part of the shop was an absolute gem and taught me everything. We became good friends.

Unfortunately, I was so good at my job I became "the best person who ever held that position" and I was not offered any more promotions. I think I would have been better off if I hadn't been so good because I might have moved up the food chain. (I was continually given more money though, so that part was nice -- but I really got tired of the job.)

P.S. I've got excellent leadership skills. This was not my first management position where I was put in a job with less experience than everyone else -- and I've always done well because I put together good teams that work together well. Being a good team player can be EVERYTHING in a job.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Actually, that is not true either -

I know many who did not have two nickles to rub together who invest -

And "flipping" is not a bad thing - heck, I do it with stocks too

Fun stuff 'eh????

Old 12-27-2007, 04:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 3,759,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, that is not true either -

I know many who did not have two nickles to rub together who invest -

And "flipping" is not a bad thing - heck, I do it with stocks too

Fun stuff 'eh????
As dangerous as playing chicken on the Interstate.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 AM

Quote:
As dangerous as playing chicken on the Interstate.
Hey, there are all kinds of risks in life

Getting out of bed in the morning is a risk

But, for those who are willing to take risks, they may very well reap the rewards.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
I'll bet you aren't black and use good grammar. Not everyone is treated equally in business.

Greatday, are you saying that you, or those you know, bought houses with no credit, no money down and no money to fix it up? People who don't have two nickles to rub together are more interested in where their next meal is coming from or how they're going to get to their minimum wage job to make these big investments.

Not all closing costs can financed.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Greatday, are you saying that you, or those you know, bought houses with no credit, no money down and no money to fix it up?
Not all closing costs can financed.
Both - me and others (I set up Corporations for each property). And yes, you can buy with no down and YES you can finance ALL the closing costs.

And, not every property needs to be "fixed up" - perhaps some paintl. Some elbow grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies