Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 08:56 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

As Hamas takes on Israel, not all in Gaza are cheering (+video) - CSMonitor.com

Interesting take on a Palestinian who just had his home destroyed by Israeli bombers leaving him and his 7 children homeless. I'm wondering if this is a sentiment that is spreading around Gaza, of it this is an isolated man's feelings?

Here's what Israeli Defense Minister Moshe Ya'Alon says about the attacks and Israel's strategies.

Yesterday, Israeli defence minister and former Israeli Defence Force (IDF) chief of staff Moshe Ya'alon announced that Operation Protective Edge marks the beginning of a protracted assault on Hamas. The operation "won't end in just a few days," he said, adding that "we are preparing to expand the operation by all means standing at our disposal so as to continue striking Hamas."

This morning, he said:

"We continue with strikes that draw a very heavy price from Hamas. We are destroying weapons, terror infrastructures, command and control systems, Hamas institutions, regime buildings, the houses of terrorists, and killing terrorists of various ranks of command… The campaign against Hamas will expand in the coming days, and the price the organization will pay will be very heavy."

But in 2007, a year before Operation Cast Lead, Ya'alon's concerns focused on the 1.4 trillion cubic feet of natural gas discovered in 2000 off the Gaza coast, valued at $4 billion. Ya'alon dismissed the notion that "Gaza gas can be a key driver of an economically more viable Palestinian state" as "misguided." The problem, he said, is that:

"Proceeds of a Palestinian gas sale to Israel would likely not trickle down to help an impoverished Palestinian public. Rather, based on Israel's past experience, the proceeds will likely serve to fund further terror attacks against Israel…

A gas transaction with the Palestinian Authority [PA] will, by definition, involve Hamas. Hamas will either benefit from the royalties or it will sabotage the project and launch attacks against Fatah, the gas installations, Israel – or all three… It is clear that without an overall military operation to uproot Hamas control of Gaza, no drilling work can take place without the consent of the radical Islamic movement."

Operation Cast Lead did not succeed in uprooting Hamas, but the conflict did take the lives of 1,387 Palestinians (773 of whom were civilians) and 9 Israelis (3 of whom were civilians).

Old 07-11-2014, 09:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
You must have missed this part.

“After the strike, Hamas officials came to check on their colleagues to support financially and morally, but none of them has even asked about what happened to my family and house,” he says. “I have worked hard for 14 years to build this house, and it was destroyed in a fraction of a second. I and my seven children are homeless now.”

Old 07-12-2014, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You must have missed this part.

“After the strike, Hamas officials came to check on their colleagues to support financially and morally, but none of them has even asked about what happened to my family and house,” he says. “I have worked hard for 14 years to build this house, and it was destroyed in a fraction of a second. I and my seven children are homeless now.”
No I read that, it seems that he's a bit upset with Hamas to me, I suppose if I'd just had my house reduced to rubble, I'd be pretty ticked off as well. It's such a volatile powder keg in that region, folks get upset at just about anything, but since Hamas took power, they've had almost unilateral support from the Palestinian masses. I'm just wondering if there's a small crack in the armor now?

Old 07-12-2014, 01:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,610,448 times
Since 1967 Israel has been an aggressor nation. Most Americans are afraid to even discuss this because of fear of being called anti semitic and harassment by American Jews. I completely support the cause and actions of Hamas. The majority of members of Hamas are Semitic peoples.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:36 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I completely support the cause and actions of Hamas.
Which is what? Complete and total withdrawal of all Israeli forces from Gaza? Wait...

Old 07-13-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Since 1967 Israel has been an aggressor nation. Most Americans are afraid to even discuss this because of fear of being called anti semitic and harassment by American Jews. I completely support the cause and actions of Hamas. The majority of members of Hamas are Semitic peoples.
Hamas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-14-2014, 09:21 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,710,811 times
Quote:
Aggressor? There's nothing like sitting and waiting for your country to be invaded on three fronts by foreign armies, infiltrated by suicide bombers, and/or being target practice from missiles fired from adjacent hostile territory.

Hamas are terrorists and Israel has very right to deal with them the way the US deals with Al Qaeda.

Old 07-14-2014, 09:41 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjzS27ylCZ8

Old 07-14-2014, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Thanks for the video, this represents only one side of the story though, of course he's going to side with his own views..

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
A people that keep lobbing missiles into Israel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies