Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,482,052 times

Advertisements

Our boy's at it again. Another Obamacare carve-out for US Territories!

Obama Exempted US Territories Obamacare Exempts HHS | The Daily Caller

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
16 billion seems cheap compared to the 24 billion the House Republicans cost the taxpayers when they had their tantrum and shut down the government. Guess who's paying for their stupidity?
Who suffered? Problem was the American people realized we could get along just fine with less government. We need to shut down a whole lot of it. The VA chief just asked for another $17 Billion to straighten out what they were already supposed to be doing. Let's just shut down all the VA hospitals and allow the veterans to go to their local hospitals.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:36 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
You can't wait until people who previously had no insurance but now DO have insurance, lose their insurance? You can't wait until people who have preexisting conditions are again turned away by insurance companies? Stay classy!
Obamacare has many problems. I agree with you regarding preexisting conditions, however. I think we can do much better than what Obamacare has done.

What about people who lost really great insurance thanks to Obamacare? Many are paying much more for policies that may include unnecessary coverage. Do these people not have a voice?

Old 07-18-2014, 11:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Obamacare has many problems. I agree with you regarding preexisting conditions, however. I think we can do much better than what Obamacare has done.

What about people who lost really great insurance thanks to Obamacare? Many are paying much more for policies that may include unnecessary coverage. Do these people not have a voice?
Who are these people who "lost really great insurance"? The people I've read about that have been dropped were crap policies to begin with and wouldn't cover much of anything at all. They were dropped because their plan didn't meet the minimum requirements of the ACA. Also, the insurance companies took advantage of a situation where they closed out majority of their plans and created new plans to match requirements for the ACA. In other words, the plans are identical except now that they include pre-existing conditions, the plan is called something completely new.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:34 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Who are these people who "lost really great insurance"? The people I've read about that have been dropped were crap policies to begin with and wouldn't cover much of anything at all. They were dropped because their plan didn't meet the minimum requirements of the ACA. Also, the insurance companies took advantage of a situation where they closed out majority of their plans and created new plans to match requirements for the ACA. In other words, the plans are identical except now that they include pre-existing conditions, the plan is called something completely new.
It's easier for people to blame the president then the actual culprits, the insurance companies. Otherwise, they'd have to admit to themselves & everyone else that the insurance industry & health care industry in this country is a complete & utter joke. Everyone knows it, they just can't say it out loud because they don't want to stray from party rhetoric. I do not know one single person who was dropped from their insurance. Not one person. Yet, the cons would have you believe that every tom dick & harry were dropping like flies from their insurance plans.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
**** poor design from the git-go. The whole thing is a mess.
So what do we do then? The old way hurt a good number (and I am not talking about those who decide to be uninsured) but those who lost their previous insurance or the insurance changed year to year (this happened BEFORE what became Obamacare was an official bill.) Those with pre-existing conditions (say asthma) couldn't get a new plan if they changed companies or their employer changed insurance plans. The new system with Obamacare is no where perfect and is a mess in many ways (such as the failed expansions of Medicaid in about half of the states, another half of the states using the national healthcare.gov marketplace as their marketplace, the backdoor of the website itself, the changes in deductibles) however it does make pre-existing conditions covered under any plan.

Apparently there is no perfect fix because we saw what it was with the public market and seeing the issues with the hybrid markets as well as those who think single-payer will be another type of abomination.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post

Apparently there is no perfect fix because we saw what it was with the public market and seeing the issues with the hybrid markets as well as those who think single-payer will be another type of abomination.
Exactly. Hypothetically speaking, say the Republicans win the next presidential election and abort Obamacare like a bad fetus and then implement their own. We will be back here in 3 years complaining about Republicancare and how it screwed a lot of people and how rates have gone up and insurance companies are scams, blah, blah, blah.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Exactly. Hypothetically speaking, say the Republicans win the next presidential election and abort Obamacare like a bad fetus and then implement their own. We will be back here in 3 years complaining about Republicancare and how it screwed a lot of people and how rates have gone up and insurance companies are scams, blah, blah, blah.
You're making my dreams come true!!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I still want to know what exactly is wrong with single-payer. Someone please educate me on what is so evil about this policy...
The Insurance companies don't want it. They are afraid the government will try to dictate what things cost. Profit margins will shrink (according to the insurance companies).

Insurance companies have lobbyists....we don't.

Insurance companies sometimes get screwed too. I had to share this story after reading 3 pages of this. I am NOT sticking up for the Insurance companies, but this isn't fair either.

I have a $2000 prescription deductible. If I meet that, my scrips are 100% paid for after that.
I got to the doctor. I have dry skin on one foot. He prescribes a prescription foot cream. They call it in.
Pharmacy calls me an hour later: "We thought you might want to know this cream is $489".
What?
Give them my Insurance info. It knocks like $30 off.
Call Dr. "Need something cheaper".
"Oh... there's a discount card inside the bag. Did you give them that?"
Go to pharmacy and submit card after "registering it".
Now it's $10. $10!!!
Unreal.
I get the "This is not a bill" statement from the Insurance company: $459 was applied to your deductible.
Wh-at? Called them. Yea, that's correct.
I didn't pay that?!? No one paid that. No one has to pay that.
Huh?
But I just knocked 1/4th of my Scrip deductible off by paying $10 with a "discount card".

I mean... good for me, I guess, but what world does this make sense in?

Old 07-18-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
The Insurance companies don't want it. They are afraid the government will try to dictate what things cost. Profit margins will shrink (according to the insurance companies).

Insurance companies have lobbyists....we don't.

Insurance companies sometimes get screwed too. I had to share this story after reading 3 pages of this. I am NOT sticking up for the Insurance companies, but this isn't fair either.

I have a $2000 prescription deductible. If I meet that, my scrips are 100% paid for after that.
I got to the doctor. I have dry skin on one foot. He prescribes a prescription foot cream. They call it in.
Pharmacy calls me an hour later: "We thought you might want to know this cream is $489".
What?
Give them my Insurance info. It knocks like $30 off.
Call Dr. "Need something cheaper".
"Oh... there's a discount card inside the bag. Did you give them that?"
Go to pharmacy and submit card after "registering it".
Now it's $10. $10!!!
Unreal.
I get the "This is not a bill" statement from the Insurance company: $459 was applied to your deductible.
Wh-at? Called them. Yea, that's correct.
I didn't pay that?!? No one paid that. No one has to pay that.
Huh?
But I just knocked 1/4th of my Scrip deductible off by paying $10 with a "discount card".

I mean... good for me, I guess, but what world does this make sense in?
Insurance companies get screwed all the time legally. For instance, ask to pay cash for a medical bill. Mysteriously half the bill gets knocked off. So, if I pay cash and pay 500, why does the insurance company have to pay 1000?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies