Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

On the ACA website, the same BCBS plan that my husband and I currently carry - THE VERY SAME "BENEFITS" PACKAGE (and I use that term loosely considering we have a $5000 deductible EACH as well as a hefty co pay and cap), would cost us $200 more a month. What the heck...

Old 07-20-2014, 09:45 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,763,632 times
Thank you, Kathryn, I am not making this up. To get my 82 dollar tax incentive/insurance credit I would have to sign up for a silver plan which was 340 something a month. For ONE person. Go to HealthyNY and put in that income, you will see. Our combined income is 37K.

I am not leaving my husband of 31 years to find a roommate. I will get health insurance when I can afford it. In another state.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
So you will pay for and own three cars and you don't understand why you need to insure your body in case you get HIT by a car crossing the street? It is clear you don't understand priorities for your money.

Medical insurance is ultimately to make sure you are insured against catastrophe.

My father was hit by a taxi while walking across the street a few years ago. He was working full time and healthy before that happened. Like you. He was hit by a taxi driver probably insured like you are.... with the minimal insurance "required by law" - $50k. My father was nearly killed and hospitalized for 6 months and is now paralyzed. His life will never be the same. 50k didn't do much. Thank goodness he had health insurance, because he would be bankrupt without it. And if you are ever unfortunate enough to be paralyzed, you will learn nothing is the same, you will probably lose your job and much of your additional life expenses will not be reimbursed by anyone.

So now I'm not pleased with you because you not only are not covering yourself for your own potential castrophic health situation, I realize that if YOU HIT ME with one of your 3 cars, you wont have enough insurance to pay for your damage either.

I realize that young people often don't get it. People who haven't seen what not having insurance can do don't get it.

Move in with roommates, save your money like crazy, get rid of all of those wasteful cars and get a cheaper Obamacare plan. I do not believe you when you say the cheapest plan was $220 per month. I have helped several people sign up for Obamacare and for your income that is not the cheapest plan and I live in a major city that is more expensive than the majority of the country. You would also be subsidized.

I agree that the high deductible plans are painful, and I think Obamacare should do better. Especially for people with lower income.
The health insurance is based on the state let alone the part of the state you are in. Say for New York rural upstate has maybe one or two plans to chose from driving prices up compared to the city where there is about 17 or so plans to chose from. It's an unfair issue but it is true... What Will You Pay For Obamacare? Depends On Where You Live (MAP)

Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Thank you, Kathryn, I am not making this up. To get my 82 dollar tax incentive/insurance credit I would have to sign up for a silver plan which was 340 something a month. For ONE person. Go to HealthyNY and put in that income, you will see. Our combined income is 37K.

I am not leaving my husband of 31 years to find a roommate. I will get health insurance when I can afford it. In another state.
I always thought you could get at the very least some of the $82 dollar credit if you went Bronze which still not that good of a plan as it's glorified disaster plan with a high deductible and high out of pockets.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM

2,756 posts, read 4,414,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I always thought you could get at the very least some of the $82 dollar credit if you went Bronze which still not that good of a plan as it's glorified disaster plan with a high deductible and high out of pockets.
Yes, she has the option for a cheaper Bronze plan.

She also misled us about her income. She is married and has a higher household income. She and her husband just choose to prioritize differently.

I strongly believe that she is making a mistake, but most people only learn from their own life experiences. She doesn't know me and my father, so she doesn't believe that she could get hit by a car tomorrow and become paralyzed. But it could happen to her. And someone close to her will eventually have such a devastating illness/injury/death and then she might reconsider.

Yes, I agree that health care is not cheap. But I also believe that it is essential if you are a living, human being. Other people obviously disagree with me.

If you believe that there should be more subsidy for people with lower income, that is a worthy discussion.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:58 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
So you will pay for and own three cars and you don't understand why you need to insure your body in case you get HIT by a car crossing the street? It is clear you don't understand priorities for your money.

Medical insurance is ultimately to make sure you are insured against catastrophe.

My father was hit by a taxi while walking across the street a few years ago. He was working full time and healthy before that happened. Like you. He was hit by a taxi driver probably insured like you are.... with the minimal insurance "required by law" - $50k. My father was nearly killed and hospitalized for 6 months and is now paralyzed. His life will never be the same. 50k didn't do much. Thank goodness he had health insurance, because he would be bankrupt without it. And if you are ever unfortunate enough to be paralyzed, you will learn nothing is the same, you will probably lose your job and much of your additional life expenses will not be reimbursed by anyone.

So now I'm not pleased with you because you not only are not covering yourself for your own potential castrophic health situation, I realize that if YOU HIT ME with one of your 3 cars, you wont have enough insurance to pay for your damage either.

I realize that young people often don't get it. People who haven't seen what not having insurance can do don't get it.

Move in with roommates, save your money like crazy, get rid of all of those wasteful cars and get a cheaper Obamacare plan. I do not believe you when you say the cheapest plan was $220 per month. I have helped several people sign up for Obamacare and for your income that is not the cheapest plan and I live in a major city that is more expensive than the majority of the country. You would also be subsidized.

I agree that the high deductible plans are painful, and I think Obamacare should do better. Especially for people with lower income.
I am not doubting your story a bit,, but find it hard to believe that the minimum liability insurance coverage required for a commercial vehicle is only 50K.... that is messed up.....

Old 07-20-2014, 11:46 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
[quote=mkpunk;35724780]A few questions for clarification:
Were you given health insurance through your employer at 19?
If not, did you buy it on your own at age 19?
Do you know if the young people you know work under 30 hours a week (part-time under the ACA)?
Do you know if the young people work for companies that offer health insurance?

I said I purchased my insurance through payroll deduction. I had a choice on whether or not to purchase it. I chose to purchase it. It was a group police offered by BCBS through my employer.

I know a lot of young people are working part-time. Older ones too for that matter. Whether or not the have insurance under the ACA, I cannot answer but I'm sure some do. Employers are using the 30 hour week model to avoid offering insurance themselves. Yes, young people work for companies that offered health insurance to full-time employees prior to the ACA. Now those full-time employees have either quit or have been cut to 30 or less hours per week.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:09 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Fewer and fewer companies were offering health care coverage as a perk in recent years.... and those that did continue to offer it, were placing more and more of the financial responsibilities on the employees.... premiums were rising, deductibles were rising, co-pays were rising and coverage was shrinking..... EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:13 PM

577 posts, read 900,470 times
We pay full price for a policy purchased on the exchange. 1000k/ month for 2 people 40/60 copays 10% coinsurance and 8000 max out of pocket. Just got a letter saying rates will go up 7% next year. This was the cheapest plan without a huge deductible or higher coinsurance. It amounts to very expensive catastrophic coverage. I'm not sure how any of this is "affordable" but we have no other insurance options at the moment. I have joked to my husband it would be cheaper for us to get a divorce.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I said I purchased my insurance through payroll deduction. I had a choice on whether or not to purchase it. I chose to purchase it. It was a group police offered by BCBS through my employer.
Fair enough, I was seeking clarification. I had a similar option with my last job if I worked about 20 or 30 hours a week. I didn't take it because I didn't know what doctors actually accepted the plan. It seemed like it basically was a glorified disaster plan (similar to my thoughts on the bronze plan through the exchange.)

Quote:
I know a lot of young people are working part-time. Older ones too for that matter. Whether or not the have insurance under the ACA, I cannot answer but I'm sure some do. Employers are using the 30 hour week model to avoid offering insurance themselves. Yes, young people work for companies that offered health insurance to full-time employees prior to the ACA. Now those full-time employees have either quit or have been cut to 30 or less hours per week.
This is the problem. If you aren't offered insurance you may not actually make enough to actually pay for it. Let's remember if you make say $10 an hour, that is at most $290 gross per week or $14,560 which is under the federal poverty level so they COULD be medicaid covered or even under their parents' plan (if they are under 26 years old.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies