Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 AM

553 posts, read 595,855 times

Advertisements

How can we possibly keep a law if it doesn't mean what it says? How can we know what we're supposed to pay if the rules that decide what we have to pay (such as subsidies) don't mean what the words of those rules say they mean? Who can we meet a deadline if Executive Orders keep changing the deadline? How can we know what we're supposed to do if what we're supposed to do keeps changing on a whim?

The only way to enforce the law is to enforce the law as it is written. If that proves to be unpopular then maybe the law was a bad idea to begin with and ought to be repealed. After-all, 85% of us were satisfied with the healthcare we had before Obamacare, half the remainder were qualified for Medicaid or Medicare and simply hadn't applied for it and most of the rest were out of work and would have insurance as soon as they found a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
This law is so broken and dysfunctional, from it's language, to it's implementation, it just needs to be completely and utterly repealed.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by Ponderosa
What then? Then, the Republicans will be in a horrible place. It is one thing to rail against Obamacare and hold symbolic votes which have no chance of success, and quite another to actually vote to take away insurance from millions and millions of working class people by refusing to fix the law that puts insurance within their financial reach. If sensible legislators prevail, this may present an opportunity to fix both this and many of the other unintended consequences of the ACA. That's a long shot, I know, but the Republicans will have to at least address the issue before the court like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
The dems passed a horribly written law along party lines, and Obama has administered it even more horribly, and you think this is all the Republicans fault or something?
Every blunder by the Dems and this administration is instantly blamed on the Republicans. Why? Because their base (lemmings) prefer to believe a lie rather than face the truth.

Here we are nearly SIX YEARS LATER, and GWB is still blamed. It's amusing, amazing, and sad.

I really shouldn't say all liberals are lemmings, because they are not. The moderates are becoming disenchanted with Obama's ineptness. Unfortunately the rest of the cheer leading squad is only interested in pushing ideology. Special interests now dictate how they think the rest of us must live.

Last edited by steven_h; 07-22-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 11:36 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
The subsidies aspect of the law was horribly written. We're a single-income household of 3 and well within the income ranges to qualify for subsidies, but they calculate eligibility for my wife and child based off what my rate is through my employer (I'm cheap, while they're expensive), so even though we should be qualified for a subsidy, we can't get it because of the moronic way this law was written.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:41 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
The subsidies aspect of the law was horribly written. We're a single-income household of 3 and well within the income ranges to qualify for subsidies, but they calculate eligibility for my wife and child based off what my rate is through my employer (I'm cheap, while they're expensive), so even though we should be qualified for a subsidy, we can't get it because of the moronic way this law was written.
They probably should have known what was in it before they passed it. Seriously, would you send someone to the store to buy groceries without a list? Would you buy a new car over the phone?

It's just common sense, and obviously cramming in whatever pork they wanted was more important than the structure of the bill itself. It's the most pathetic display of ineptness I've ever seen.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:42 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,956,097 times
Thumbs up BREAKING: D.C. Circuit Guts Obamacare - Consumers On Federal Exchange Are Ineligible for Subsidies

Quote:
You already know the background here, I hope. If not, read this post and/or this post to catch up. The ObamaCare statute says that federal subsidies to help people pay for their new O-Care health insurance are available to anyone who buys their plan from “an Exchange established by the State.” Thirty-six states declined to build their own exchanges, though, so the White House built a big federal exchange for them instead. That’s Healthcare.gov. Question: If you buy a plan from Healthcare.gov, does that qualify as buying from “an Exchange established by the State”? Or are subsidies reserved exclusively for exchanges built by the individual states, not the feds?

The financial impact of ObamaCare for five million people hangs on six words. Held by the D.C. Circuit: Subsidies apply only to true state exchanges, not Healthcare.gov.
Link: D.C. Circuit guts ObamaCare: Consumers in federal exchange are ineligible for subsidies « Hot Air

This is what happens when you need to pass the bill to find out what's in the bill.

Democrat policy failure is now on display for all to see, again.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Another appeals court ruling today - just the opposite:
Quote:
Two federal appeals court panels issued conflicting rulings Tuesday on whether the government could subsidize health insurance premiums for people in three dozen states that use the federal insurance exchange. The decisions are the latest in a series of legal challenges to central components of President Obama’s health care law.

The United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, in Richmond, upheld the subsidies, saying that a rule issued by the Internal Revenue Service was “a permissible exercise of the agency’s discretion.”

The ruling came within hours of a 2-to-1 ruling by a panel of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, which said that the government could not subsidize insurance for people in states that use the federal exchange.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/23/us...pgtype=article
The fat lady hasn't sung, just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
You are insured by, or have available, employer-subsidized insurance. Therefore, you/your family are not eligible for federal subsidies. Many people are affected by this provision.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,861,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: D.C. Circuit guts ObamaCare: Consumers in federal exchange are ineligible for subsidies « Hot Air

This is what happens when you need to pass the bill to find out what's in the bill.

Democrat policy failure is now on display for all to see, again.

Maybe now would be a good time for BarryO to tell another lie about the details surrounding his mother's death.......you know, just to smooth things over and remind everyone what a well-constructed piece of shi....err, legislation this really is.

"Hope And Change" has morphed into "Dope At Close Range".

Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Michael F. Cannon of Forbes points out, the winners in this court decision outnumber the losers 10 to 1. As many as 57 million Americans may now be exempt from the ObamaCare mandate, compared to the 5 million who will lose their taxpayer-funded subsidies.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:53 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Another appeals court ruling today - just the opposite:
The fat lady hasn't sung, just yet.

You are insured by, or have available, employer-subsidized insurance. Therefore, you/your family are not eligible for federal subsidies. Many people are affected by this provision.
No, you're still eligible for subsides even if you get or can get insurance through your employer. Subsidies apply when either your employer offers substandard insurance or the employee's insurance is more than 9.5% of his/her gross pay. So since my insurance through my employer is less than 9.5% of my gross income, my family is disqualified from getting a subsidy. So the subsidy is calculated on my employer-subsidized rates, not the rates of the people I'm actually paying for out of pocket, completely unsubsidized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies