Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 06:51 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The problem is beyond obvious. It is hard to imagine people can't get it right, because it should not be that hard.

8th Amendment: Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishment be inflicted.

Either they need to get it right, or abolish death penalty.

"Cruel and unusual" is pretty vague and left up to one's own interpretation. I see nothing cruel or unusual about someone sentenced to death and ending up dead after the process is over. I'd say, mission accomplished.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 06:59 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
So what do you get?

You get non experts trying to find veins to inject non standard drugs. Trust me, experts know if the IV is working or not and whether to inject the drugs.

Who knows who's putting these IVs in these criminals. And since they are giving them non standard drugs to put people to sleep, this is what you get.

Just imagine if you were being put to sleep for surgery. Would you want these non standard drugs and non standard personelle putting IV and pushing these non standard induction drugs?
So use a firing squad. If there is a distaste for "professionals" participating in the process, I'm certain any number of deer hunters would be willing to volunteer and are capable of effectively placing a slug through the heart of a properly restrained convict at 25 yards. And bullets are cheap.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:08 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
The near giddy celebration by posters in this thread of the prolonged suffering of this inmate before he succumbed should be an embarrassment to Americans, as it flies in the face of everything this country is supposed to stand for. But then, the previous administration sanctioned and defended its practice of torture, and we, as a nation, did nothing to punish them for it, so I suppose this tacit approval of torture should not come as a surprise.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:12 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The near giddy celebration by posters in this thread of the prolonged suffering of this inmate before he succumbed should be an embarrassment to Americans, as it flies in the face of everything this country is supposed to stand for. But then, the previous administration sanctioned and defended its practice of torture, and we, as a nation, did nothing to punish them for it, so I suppose this tacit approval of torture should not come as a surprise.
Perhaps you should move? I hear the middle east is nice this time of year and their methods are much less barbaric.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:27 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,419 times
The cruel and unusual crowd are a crack up. This guy did not feel a thing, none of you have been under anesthesia? did you remember anything about the surgery? feel any pain?

I also wonder why this did go on for so long? after a couple of minutes increase the dosage, if alive after that give him a triple, keep increasing until he is dead. What would be so wrong and giving the poor guy a assist and put your hand over his almost non breathing mouth and nose? This should have not have lasted over 10 mins.
Our country is so dumbed down we can even put people to death right.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:31 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Practice makes perfect. We will get this combo right with enough executions. Meanwhile, we lose a piece of human garbage with each experiment.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
The reason for the "torture" is because of the Left wing political movement has "shamed" almost all companies who's drugs (propofol, thiopental, etomidate etc). Same drugs used in anesthesia to put people to sleep.

The left wing political movement has shamed these companies. So these companies don't want their drugs being used on these death penalty patients. These companies don't even want to deal with the headaches if their name gets leaked out in the press reports that they provide the drugs.

And almost all of these "death penalty" cocktails are generic as well. So cost is not an issue.

And the medical associations like the American Board of Anesthesiology have threaten to revoke a member's board certification if they particiupate in a lethal injection.

". As a consequence, ABA certificates may be
revoked if the ABA determines that a diplomate participates in an execution by lethal
injection (4). What constitutes participation is clearly defined by the AMA’s policy."

http://www.theaba.org/pdf/CapitalPun...Commentary.pdf

So what you have is:

The left wing movement has prevented:
1. License medical "experts" like anesthesiologist (or even nurse anesthetists) who are highly trained in the use of these lethal drugs to administer these medicines.

2. You also bar these professionals (who are experts in getting IV access) from particularizing as well.

So what do you get?

You get non experts trying to find veins to inject non standard drugs. Trust me, experts know if the IV is working or not and whether to inject the drugs.

Who knows who's putting these IVs in these criminals. And since they are giving them non standard drugs to put people to sleep, this is what you get.

Just imagine if you were being put to sleep for surgery. Would you want these non standard drugs and non standard personelle putting IV and pushing these non standard induction drugs?
If the US use certain anesthetic drugs in Capital Punishment, then a lot of such drugs will no longer be supplied to the US including US Hospitals, it's as simple as that and has already happened in relation to thiopental, however the potential loss of propofol may impact to a far greater extent in relation to US Health Services and Surgery. There is also a host of other important drugs which could be potentially withdrawn from export to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Statesman

Propofol, used up to 50 million times a year in US surgical procedures, has never been used in an execution. If the execution had gone ahead, US hospitals could have lost access to the drug because 90 percent of the US supply is made and exported by a German company subject to European Union (EU) regulations that restrict the export of medicines and devices that could be used for capital punishment or torture. Fearing a ban on propofol sales to the United States, in 2012 the drug’s manufacturer, Fresenius Kabi in Bad Homburg, ordered its US distributors not to provide the drug to prisons.

“The European Union is serious,” says David Lubarsky, head of the anaesthesiology department at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in Florida. “They’ve already shown that with thiopental. If we go down this road with propofol, a lot of good people who need anaesthesia are going to be harmed.”

New Statesman | US prisons, foiled by an EU boycott, are turning to untested drugs in executions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature

This is not the first time that the EU’s anti-death-penalty stance has affected the US supply of anaesthetics. Since 2011, a popular sedative called sodium thiopental has been unavailable in the United States. The manufacturer, US company Hospira, abandoned plans to produce the drug at its plant in Italy after regulators in the country required that the thiopental never be used in executions. The drug, which is difficult and costly to make, was already in short supply because of manufacturing problems.

“There has been a collision of the politics of capital punishment in the United States and Europe, forcing us to hopscotch around looking for suitable methods for anaesthesia,” says Jerry Cohen, a former president of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.

“The European Union is serious,” says David Lubarsky, head of the anaesthesiology department at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in Florida. “They’ve already shown that with thiopental. If we go down this road with propofol, a lot of good people who need anaesthesia are going to be harmed.”

The loss of thiopental from the anaesthesia arsenal was a relatively minor inconvenience, says Cohen, because propofol provided an alternative. But if propofol is used for executions in Missouri or any other state, it could disappear too, leaving hospitals in a serious bind. “Propofol has a lot of uses for which there are no substitutes,” says Cohen. It is the preferred way to sedate people who have breathing tubes because it acts quickly and does not cause vomiting. Federal regulations make propofol difficult to manufacture in the United States.

Death row incurs drug penalty : Nature News & Comment

Last edited by Bamford; 07-24-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 07:37 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,869,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
Perhaps you should move? I hear the middle east is nice this time of year and their methods are much less barbaric.
Thanks for proving my point. Even you acknowledge that two hours of torture is barbaric, though you seem to approve of it. Perhaps it is you who would be more suited to the Middle East.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. Even you acknowledge that two hours of torture is barbaric, though you seem to approve of it. Perhaps it is you who would be more suited to the Middle East.
What torture was involved? The convict was unconscious and preseumably unaware the entire time. As was stated in a previous post, under even general anesthesthia a patient is unaware of what is being done to them and feels nothing - even though their heart, lungs or other organs may be removed and only a machine keeps them alive. I had laser lithotripsy last year - talk about torture! Yet I was unconscious and unaware the entire time, and felt nothing until I woke up. As I was sedated with Versed (Midazolam), I do recall saying "it burns" as I slipped under. Had a lib been watching, I guess he would have claimed I suffered needlessly. The only difference here is that the subject did not eventually wake up.

Last edited by Workin_Hard; 07-24-2014 at 08:01 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 07:52 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Look, if a person ****ed up bad enough to end up on death row, I can't find much sympathy for that person if they happen to find themselves in a difficult execution situation.

If he didn't do the crime, he wouldn't be in that predicament. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies