Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,257,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its fairly simple to avoid fluid to fluid contact with someone.

Now, if it mutated and went airborn, which is a possibility but not highly likely, that would be some scary ****.
Yup. Airborne would be bad. But it can be easy to engage in unintentional fluid to fluid contact.

1. Ebola man goes to the bathroom and doesn't wash his hands.
2. You use the bathroom, grabbing the handle that Ebola man just used. Or you shake hands with Ebola man in greeting. Or you help Ebola man by picking up something he dropped.
3. You pick the spinach outta your teeth or wipe the lip balm gunk off your lips or try to dislodge the eyelash totally bugging you before you wash your hands.

It's really gross how many people do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. I've witnessed it in public bathrooms so many times....out the stall and out the door. And don't feel completely safe just because you washed your hands. If you wash your hands and then touch the handle to exit the bathroom you've just touched a disgustingly contaminated handle. I've seen that a million times. Best to keep the paper towel you dried your hands with and use that to open the door. Or open the door with the hem of your shirt or sleeve.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:44 PM

20,484 posts, read 12,411,061 times
im decidely on the side of those saying Ebola is not something we need to get hysterical over.

It appears that this particular iteration is not super contagious.

However, it is a serious killer

I understand the concern people have because of just how dangerous it is once you get it.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:45 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,923,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe because they can't find people that want to deal with Ebola.
Sounds like the CDC and crew don't have all their plans in place.
They need to get cleanup crews enlisted and trained all over the US as well as the medial folks in hospitals.

From your link:

The Texas health commissioner, Dr. David Lakey, told reporters during an afternoon news conference that health workers should have moved more swiftly to clean the apartment but that they had had trouble finding an outside medical team to do the work. They encountered “a little bit of hesitancy,” he said.
I imagine the hesitancy will be even greater when the people living in the apartment, and continuing to be at risk for exposure, actually come down with Ebola. And of course, the nightmare that the apartment owners are going to face with people refusing to rent those apartments, name and location having been well-publicized by the media, because they will now be notorious.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
im decidely on the side of those saying Ebola is not something we need to get hysterical over.

It appears that this particular iteration is not super contagious.

However, it is a serious killer

I understand the concern people have because of just how dangerous it is once you get it.
Worse outbreak in history and it's not super contagious ?
All except Ebola Reston are killers.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,407,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm guessing the people who have the "it's not that big of a deal" posts would feel different if their kids were in a restaurant and they found out an ebola patient was there an hour before.

Here is a photo of the Dallas school being scrubbed down after kids who were in contact with the patient went to the school (not the patient himself).

Why is this being ordered if there is nobody there bleeding or pushing out sperm?
Because people are freaked out, and just sending the kids back would cause people like you to freak out.

Its cheap preventatives that don't matter, but hey, why not? It makes the parents feel safer.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:49 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,817,824 times
'We believe there is scientific and epidemiologic evidence that Ebola virus has the potential to be transmitted via infectious aerosol particles both near and at a distance from infected patients, which means that healthcare workers should be wearing respirators, not facemasks.'

TOP DOCTORS: EBOLA MAY BECOME AIRBORNE … AND MAY ALREADY BE TRANSMISSIBLE VIA AEROSOLS

Top Doctors: Ebola May Become Airborne ? And May ALREADY Be Transmissible Via Aerosols

Old 10-02-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
about 3k people dead at this point.

worst in history of this desiese. but seriously more people died from the flu yesterday.

TB is far more dangerous to us and we dont even blink when people from infected countries come here daily.

Look, i get the concern. IF this mutates and becomes airborn, all bets are off.

Old 10-02-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
No its not super contagious. With a Ro of 2 it isnt. Measles had a Ro of 18!

Why dont you read some of the links in the op?

Old 10-02-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
about 3k people dead at this point.

worst in history of this desiese. but seriously more people died from the flu yesterday.

TB is far more dangerous to us and we dont even blink when people from infected countries come here daily.

Look, i get the concern. IF this mutates and becomes airborn, all bets are off.
Same with the flu or common cold mutating to be more deadly. The odds of it mutating and being airborne are miniscule. But I agree, if that were to change, all bets would be off, and I'd freak out a bit. But the flu, Tb, etc are far more likely to mutate into something deadly. Heck aids could mutate to become airborne!

Old 10-02-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Same with the flu or common cold mutating to be more deadly. The odds of it mutating and being airborne are miniscule. But I agree, if that were to change, all bets would be off, and I'd freak out a bit. But the flu, Tb, etc are far more likely to mutate into something deadly. Heck aids could mutate to become airborne!
lets not downplay in an attempt to keep the room temperature level.

Yes, if flu gets airborn like it did around 1919ish then lots of people die. but its kill rate is still pretty low.
I would say that the chance of ebola going airborn are about the same as flu. TB not so much its bacterial not viral.

and I dont think there is much chance at all of HIV going airborn.

we do agree that Ebola as a contagious desiese is on the low end of contagious. less than the flu. less than TB. and in the first world, contoling it in its current version is not going to be very hard to do.

Those poor people in Africa where sanitation is non-existent are in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies