Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:35 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,738,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The timeline suggests Duncan had no way of knowing the cause of death of the pregnant girl.
I would like a source for this. You've repeated it over and over in this thread. Yet the Dallas prosecutor said 2 said two days ago that they were working on a prosecution of him. And Liberia officials have said they were going to prosecute him if he returned home. So the officials in both Texas and Liberia believe he lied.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We don't have millions from those Ebola countries traveling. You're counting the entire population as international travelers.
I'm counting the entire population as potential travelers, that alarmists want to prevent from traveling. I'm pointing out that Ebola has infected a very small percentage of the inhabitants of the region. To bar the entire populations of West African nations from traveling is a dire step to take, and a fearful step to take IMO, when the VAST majority of the peoples in this country are not infected.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:37 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,119,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post
A mosquito lands on an Ebola carrier (person) and sucks the blood from that person. Then the mosquito flys off and then lands on a non Ebola person and sucks the blood from that person. The mosquito is carrying the disease and infects the other person with its needle (the maxillae end in toothed blades) and thus infects the non-Ebola person. Much like Malaria.

That is how I imagine an Ebola outbreak.
But Ebola isn't transmitted that way. Ebola cannot be transmitted via mosquitoes.

What makes you imagine that Ebola will suddenly become transmittable in this manner???

Old 10-09-2014, 01:38 PM

654 posts, read 1,251,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
But Ebola isn't transmitted that way. Ebola cannot be transmitted via mosquitoes.

What makes you imagine that Ebola will suddenly become transmittable in this manner???
Well tell us doctor, how does it get transmitted? How do you know it doesnt get transmitted that way?

I guess you believe the CDC and Santa Clause exists?

Old 10-09-2014, 01:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm counting the entire population as potential travelers, that alarmists want to prevent from traveling. I'm pointing out that Ebola has infected a very small percentage of the inhabitants of the region. To bar the entire populations of West African nations from traveling is a dire step to take, and a fearful step to take IMO, when the VAST majority of the peoples in this country are not infected.
These are third world countries.
Most can't afford a pot to p*ss in never mind tourist visas and airline tickets to the US.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,135,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfromipanemo View Post
If they say the tests results can take a couple of hours up to a couple of days, why are all those people who came into contact with Duncan still in isolation? Hasn't it been long enough to get the test results?

The Spanish woman supposedly could have contracted ebola while removing her protective suit. Unless her suit was covered in fluids from ebola patients, it would seem to indicate it could be airborne. She says she took proper precautions and who wouldn't? There was so much mishandling in her case.

The media wants us to fall for their story that if we halt air travel it will make matters worse. That is bologna. If they want to send aid workers, go ahead.

The new "screening" of West African travelers is one of the silliest lies. These folks wanting to leave Africa are not going to be honest on a questionnaire and if they have just started running a slight fever, pop some ibuprofen before the trip and they will pass with flying colors.

What else doesn't add up to you?

it can take upwards of 21 days for the virus to show itself.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:40 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
It might be...and it might not be.

Outside workers are dealing with real cultural differences, as well as standard customs that are a part of that culture.

People there are KILLING those that have arrived to help them--due to ignorance, superstition and fear. We are dealing with the lowest common denominator here.

There are the obvious infrastructure differences as well.

They (Liberians) don't even seem to listen HERE--they have to be guarded so that they comply with the isolation orders.

So, I'd guess that we and the rest of the world are fighting a losing battle at the source. The culture and customs will remain the same after outsiders leave--if they don't die first.
The differences are WHY we need to expend resources THERE. We have to deal with the situation THERE because we don't want to deal with a different situation HERE.

The Liberians clearly DO listen. They have taken steps. Just because SOME of the people in Liberia, out of MILLIONS of people that live there, have acted irrationally, YOU take the position that ALL of the people in Liberia are fearful idiots. That's irrational on your part.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,595,619 times
Quote:
Well tell us doctor, how does it get transmitted? How do you know it doesnt get transmitted that way?

They don't know yet if a mosquito can be a carrier like the fruit bat.
But anything is possible.

They have found bats, pigs, monkeys and now dogs can be carriers.

The longer this virus lives the greater the chance of it changing to adapt to its hosts.

14,917 posts, read 13,119,641 times
Quote:

It's a blood-borne pathogen (transmitted via contact with body fluids). It's not a vector-borne pathogen (transmitted via mosquitoes). We've known this for decades.

Tell me doctor, when do you imagine the coming of a much more massive HIV/AIDS epidemic due to mosquitoes transmitting HIV from person to person? When is the mosquito driven Hepatitis C epidemic coming?

21,490 posts, read 10,607,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are so many roundabout ways to get into the United States, that my thinking is that we do better the way we are now, with a better chance of getting a handle on any incoming infected persons, than we would do if we forced them to sneak into the country.

More than that, I'm very perturbed about people trying to bar MILLIONS of people from traveling out of their country, because a few thousand have gotten sick.

Liberia has a population of 4.294 MILLION people. 3,024 people have been infected (infected, they didn't all die). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Sierra Leone has a population of 6.092 MILLION people. 2,789 people have been infected (infected, not died). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Guinea has a population of 11.75 MILLION people. 1,298 people have been infected (infected, not died). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Nigeria has a population of 173.6 MILLION people. 20 people have been infected (infected, not died).

It's a scary disease. Even scarier in countries without the resources to deal with it. But we're talking about almost 200 MILLION people in the region, and only 8,033 cases.

Fear is the mind-killer.

2014 Ebola Outbreak in West Africa - Case Counts | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
And cases double every three to four weeks, and at least 50% of the people infected die! I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to let a disease like that just travel all over the globe. I'm not one to go for these types of theories, but I cannot help but think the drug companies are willing to let Ebola come here so they can make their vaccine and get paid for it. Of course, some people are going to have to die in the process, but oh well.

One article in Britain was saying how they were able to contain Ebola in Nigeria after only 19 cases (they failed to mention that eight people died and Nigeria closed the border to Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies