Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we stop sending people/aid to Ebola infected nations?
Yes 92 42.59%
No 95 43.98%
Other 17 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 01:27 PM

39,086 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Huh???

I'm just terribly confused on your stance here. In one post you claim that people are overreacting and there is no threat from Ebola, but then in another post you claim Ebola is a major threat to the US and you predict that within 2 years millions of Americans will have contracted and died from Ebola.

Which is it?
My position is evolving. I don't think that Ebola is here yet. When it does get here, we will have to see how it is handled. I now think that it may be more manageable than I previously did. I now see panic and the breakdown of society as a greater risk to the spread of Ebola and the airport workers are a perfect example of that. If we don't do better than Texas did with future cases, then we are in serious trouble. People will lose faith in the system. Enough cases will emerge that panic will ensue, society will collapse and millions will die.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
There are so many roundabout ways to get into the United States, that my thinking is that we do better the way we are now, with a better chance of getting a handle on any incoming infected persons, than we would do if we forced them to sneak into the country.

More than that, I'm very perturbed about people trying to bar MILLIONS of people from traveling out of their country, because a few thousand have gotten sick.

Liberia has a population of 4.294 MILLION people. 3,024 people have been infected (infected, they didn't all die). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Sierra Leone has a population of 6.092 MILLION people. 2,789 people have been infected (infected, not died). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Guinea has a population of 11.75 MILLION people. 1,298 people have been infected (infected, not died). The majority of the people there are healthy and uninfected.

Nigeria has a population of 173.6 MILLION people. 20 people have been infected (infected, not died).

It's a scary disease. Even scarier in countries without the resources to deal with it. But we're talking about almost 200 MILLION people in the region, and only 8,033 cases.

Fear is the mind-killer.

2014 Ebola Outbreak in West Africa - Case Counts | Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC
We don't have millions from those Ebola countries traveling. You're counting the entire population as international travelers.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 PM

13,306 posts, read 7,878,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

How anyone lives through this is a mystery to me, unless the virus is stopped by each individuals immune system and less hemorrhaging occurs.
They should be able to sell their antibodies for a good price.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I want to see what happens when a case is handled correctly from the very beginning. Duncan's treatment was delayed 48 hours, which undoubtedly harmed his chance of survival.
How?

There's no practiced effective treatment.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, indeed. That's why sending the resources to that region to contain it there is the better value.
It might be...and it might not be.

Outside workers are dealing with real cultural differences, as well as standard customs that are a part of that culture.

People there are KILLING those that have arrived to help them--due to ignorance, superstition and fear. We are dealing with the lowest common denominator here.

There are the obvious infrastructure differences as well.

They (Liberians) don't even seem to listen HERE--they have to be guarded so that they comply with the isolation orders.

So, I'd guess that we and the rest of the world are fighting a losing battle at the source. The culture and customs will remain the same after outsiders leave--if they don't die first.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:32 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,674,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
How?

There's no practiced effective treatment.
Well, that's not exactly true. He would have received at least 48 additional hours of supportive care. They would have given him the experiment drug 48 hours earlier.

Futhermore, ZMapp does look effective. If only we could produce it faster. In my opinion, that's a job for the US government since the drug companies won't do it.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:33 PM

654 posts, read 1,251,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Why do you imagine this will happen???
A mosquito lands on an Ebola carrier (person) and sucks the blood from that person. Then the mosquito flys off and then lands on a non Ebola person and sucks the blood from that person. The mosquito is carrying the disease and infects the other person with its needle (the maxillae end in toothed blades) and thus infects the non-Ebola person. Much like Malaria.

That is how I imagine an Ebola outbreak.

Old 10-09-2014, 01:34 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
My position is evolving. I don't think that Ebola is here yet. When it does get here, we will have to see how it is handled. I now think that it may be more manageable than I previously did. I now see panic and the breakdown of society as a greater risk to the spread of Ebola and the airport workers are a perfect example of that. If we don't do better than Texas did with future cases, then we are in serious trouble. People will lose faith in the system. Enough cases will emerge that panic will ensue, society will collapse and millions will die.
I don't think Texas did such a terrible job. Yes, there were missteps. But they revealed problems that needed to be corrected, and were swiftly corrected. The swiftness of the corrections impresses me. It was the first case. We all hope that it will be the last, but even so, there are other dangerous diseases out there, so this was a valuable lesson.

Quote:
Well, that's not exactly true. He would have received at least 48 additional hours of supportive care. They would have given him the experiment drug 48 hours earlier.

Futhermore, ZMapp does look effective. If only we could produce it faster. In my opinion, that's a job for the US government since the drug companies won't do it.
They were unable to treat him with ZMapp.

86,052 posts, read 84,548,114 times
Quote:

2 patients in the US received zMapp and lived.
2 patients in Spain received zMapp and died.

zMapp is still considered experimental.
And I'm sure the researchers are looking into why some live and why some don't even after taking the drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies