Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 09:33 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times

Advertisements

How many of you have ever heard the saying "If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is". ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:44 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Society dictates a number of things that is in the best interest of society. Treating the less fortunate should be one of them. If they don't want to treat them then they can drive taxis for a living.
You are free to go to university and take 4 years of pre-med. Then get in to medical school and put in another several years. While racking up 100k in debt. Then work 24 hour shifts as a poorly paid intern.

At that point, you are free to see patients on any reimbursement rate you like-even if it doesn't cover your costs of keeping an office open. Until you do that, your comments are more ignorant ramblings of the pathetically uninformed.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:02 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You are free to go to university and take 4 years of pre-med. Then get in to medical school and put in another several years. While racking up 100k in debt. Then work 24 hour shifts as a poorly paid intern.

At that point, you are free to see patients on any reimbursement rate you like-even if it doesn't cover your costs of keeping an office open. Until you do that, your comments are more ignorant ramblings of the pathetically uninformed.
Interns no longer work such long hours as I did in training back in the '70's. And the pay isn't so bad. My daughter, a brand new doc is making about $54K she tells me. I made about $13K as an intern in '76-77. Which works out to almost exactly the same with inflation!

Old 08-04-2014, 10:46 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,911,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
Now you want to dictate how a business person runs his/her business?

Only if they took out Federal student loans to get their degree and run 'their' business.

I wonder how many of those doctors just loved the Federal government when they needed money to go to school.

Funny how it all works.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:54 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Only if they took out Federal student loans to get their degree and run 'their' business.

I wonder how many of those doctors just loved the Federal government when they needed money to go to school.

Funny how it all works.
Last time I checked the load gets paid back with interests, it doesn't mean you have to become a slave to the man.

Funny how it all works.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The exchange policies though are very narrow (few doctors) and have less reimbursements.

Remember these insurers had to jump hoops to get themselves on to the exchanges.
Remember a few of the big ones pulled out ? Aetna and UnitedHealthcare are two I remember.

The exchange policies are no different than any other. We all had to go into the bracket mentality of government.
Bronze through platinum.
Underwritten by Blue Cross, how would a doctor know it was Obamacare.
HINT: Obamacare, was just an insurance salesman, for the insurance companies that lobbied him.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post

Funny how it all works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Last time I checked the load gets paid back with interests, it doesn't mean you have to become a slave to the man.

Funny how it all works.
Eh, the internships are subsidized by the federal government and you can't get a medical license without the internship. Sooo... There could be an argument made that the feds can require Docs to accept patients, but I don't know how persuasive that argument would really be.

Dr's aren't the expensive part of the healthcare system though.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:12 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,664,501 times
I heard that Doctors are sitting in a corner, holding their breath, until they turn blue, whenever an Obamacare patient comes into their examination room. Somebody on FOX, late last night, Hawkeye 200? could probably fill in the blanks on that score.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,488,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Where is it different in CA? I looked a few months ago and the plans were mostly the same. There were a few "tweaks" at the various metal levels with copays and whatnot visits but the same with the max oop deductible. WHERE are reimbursements mentioned? I still have a company sponsored plan so I'm not familiar.
Reimbursements are negotiated between the insurance company and their provider networks. Reimbursements are not dictated by the ACA. Insurance companies price their plans based on what they are paying their provider networks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
I am not on an ACA policy nor do I receive any subsidies. I carry BCBS self and family high option. I don't figure my insurance costs me a dime. Just one visit to a hospital will in itself pay for a whole year or more in premiums. I have a zero deductible and zero co-pay and get my meds at a price negotiated by BCBS. My BCBS pays anything and everything my Medicare Parts A & B do not cover.

Many folks who are insured under the ACA plans are facing some very large deductibles. They have purchased a pig in a poke.
And, you have a government (FEHP) or private employer retiree health plan aka Medigap through Blue Cross/Blue Shield. For you, my money is on the govt. plan. There are NO Medigaps outside employer retiree and/or government plans which offer FAMILY coverage. Govt. Medigap family plans are NOT inexpensive. But, once you've paid the premium, you're home free.

Medigaps outside those private employer/government markets are sold individually.

It is possible to purchase an individual Medigap for about $140-$200/mo, depending on state, plus Part B ($105), plus Part D ($50). Total individual retiree cost is usually about $300-$350/mo. If one chooses a Medigap G or F plus Part D, your only medical expenses thereafter are drug copays or services not covered by Medicare. Retiree plans are usually better than Medigaps as they often cover things Medicare won't.

You can't compare retiree Medicare/Medigap to ACA policies. ACA is just another means of delivering private insurance to those not eligible for Medicare.

Most people on the Health Insurance Forum love their Medicare/Medigaps and are very happy to be out of the private insurance market - even BEFORE the ACA. Far fewer hassles, more cost control. No worries about deductibles, copays, coinsurance, networks (unless they are forced to choose a Medicare Advantage plan because they can't afford a Medigap).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How would the doc know it is "obamacare"?
Because...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I have the BC/BS plan here in CT that I purchased thru the exchange. My Doctor knew it was an exchange plan without me telling him or his office staff. He actually said to me "You are the first exchange plan patient I've seen so far" He did not deny seeing me though.

I think the DR's and their staff know the prefix on the plan numbers assigned to exchange plans.
So, yes, the medical offices know. This is not the first time I've read on CD a statement like the above.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 08-04-2014 at 11:38 PM..

Old 08-04-2014, 11:26 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
How is this news? Drs are already picky on Medicaid and Medicare, why not throw Obamacare in there too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies