Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This is what concerns me about legalization. The war on drugs has turned the Justice System into a very large monster that needs to be feed. Without the steady stream of Marijuana-related arrests, how are they going to feed this beast. I would much rather have potheads be hassled by the police, than being targeted myself to make up for the loss in arrests if widespread legalization happens.

so in other words you would rather have LE wasting time with some guy with a dime bag then spending that time trying to catch the rapist down the street gotcha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
The logistics and the size of the package for the profit.
Most pot in the USA, is grown in the USA.
No one wants that Mezgin shwag.
Ok, BentBow

Old 08-06-2014, 02:22 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
This is what concerns me about legalization. The war on drugs has turned the Justice System into a very large monster that needs to be feed. Without the steady stream of Marijuana-related arrests, how are they going to feed this beast. I would much rather have potheads be hassled by the police, than being targeted myself to make up for the loss in arrests if widespread legalization happens.

I'd rather the cops and the government focus on real crimes, such as rape, pedophila, murder, armed robbery, and the likes than shaking down somebody over a bag of weed.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:24 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
U.S. Marijuana Legalization Weakens Mexican Cartels

Once again, us liberty minded folks prove that you can solve most problems with more freedom, not less:
Good news. Same thing happened in the 20's and 30's.

3 years, I think in three years federal prohibition is going away. I've heard that from several people I know who are in law enforcement and state legislatures myself in conversation.

Colorado has experienced minimal harmful effects from it, Washington is the second litmus test. 48 other states are stupid. If CO and WA can legalize this drug, make money, and cut down on other crimes by allowing law enforcement to concentrate on violence, other states are going to follow suit quickly. The federal government can't keep its current laws on the books when 20% of the states, 10 or so, have legal marijuana.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
LOL, what? You could kill the harmful monster instead of continuing to feed it...

Or have Cops actually do their job, and protect peaceful people from violent people-it should be pretty basic.

The US has the worst violent crime rate of any Industrialized nation yet our Cops are completely militarized and armed to the tee.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
If my dog growled at me, I'm certainly not going to reward that behavior.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:29 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

3 years, I think in three years federal prohibition is going away. I've heard that from several people I know who are in law enforcement and state legislatures myself in conversation.

Colorado has experienced minimal harmful effects from it, Washington is the second litmus test. 48 other states are stupid. If CO and WA can legalize this drug, make money, and cut down on other crimes by allowing law enforcement to concentrate on violence, other states are going to follow suit quickly. The federal government can't keep its current laws on the books when 20% of the states, 10 or so, have legal marijuana.
I don't know about that, but I did hear TX was thinking about decriminalizing and FL has a ballot vote coming up.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

When the DEA agents shut down a meth lab in my neighborhood last year, the agent I talked to said that they really aren't focusing on marijuana, and will only follow up on it if someone complains. He said that meth and heroin were their biggest problems, and it's been a huge problem here. Now don't get me wrong, if you're caught with pounds of the stuff even being decriminalized to a degree here in Ohio, you're going to jail. But it hasn't been their main focus. On the other hand you had his colleague bragging about the technology used to spot marijuana growing in fields around northeast Ohio via infra-red, and seemed to take pleasure about the idea of destroying them. Oh well, you're always going to have your detractors, but so be it. I guess they'll have to deal with it. Besides there will be plenty of crimes of opportunity for LE to focus on.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't know about that, but I did hear TX was thinking about decriminalizing and FL has a ballot vote coming up.
So is New York State and Maryland. Its expected to pass in both states.

That'd be 4. If Texas does decriminalize it, thats 5. Florida makes 6. California is trying again, and likely this time it will pass, thats 7. All within the next 2 years. And thats 4 of the biggest electoral college vote states, California, Texas, Florida, and New York. Politicians are noticing this. State governments are pushing this issue. Its actually moving faster then gay rights has.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:33 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
U.S. Marijuana Legalization Weakens Mexican Cartels

Once again, us liberty minded folks prove that you can solve most problems with more freedom, not less:
I don't buy that at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies