Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So, you don't believe on the principle behind legalizing marijuana... you believe in a moving target, a line in the sand based on "severity" of the drug.

You do realize alcohol is regarded by science to be one of the hardest drugs out there, right? Should it be illegal? It can turn the user into a welfare leeching degenerate that exponentially increases their likelihood of being violent.

People should be free to ingest whatever they want... even really stupid things. Guess what, they are going to do it either way. Prohibition. Does. Not. Work.

There are over the counter drugs that can make you trip, and some people use them that way.... a great majority don't because it is stupid. Meth would be the same thing, except the batches would be more pure so the people dumb enough to do it would at least be at less risk of tainted batches, and they would have to present I.D. to get it. A store checks ID, a black market dealer does not.

So let's recap, you are against meth.... but you prefer a system that, in verifiable ways, makes it more likely to be sold to children, keeps violent cartels funded, makes it more likely to be dangerous, costs huge amounts of money, and doesn't prevent people from using it?

It is funny how, over and over again, prohibition is proven to be counter productive and a huge waste of money, but people think it is still something that is legitimate with certain substances they are particularly offended by.... whereas if the money was spent on educating kids, you would see a noticable drop in use as people in general would just be too smart to use it.

Interesting fact, did you know that Adderall has the same general effects, and almost an identical chemical structure to meth... but it is prescribed to children all the time?

Forbes--Everything You've Heard About Crack And Meth Is Wrong

I would never suggest that anybody do meth, but the same principles apply to it as any other substance including alcohol and marijuana... prohibition is an ineffective waste of money.
I think for me, that I do draw the line at the type of drug. I cannot make an argument that marijuana or even alcohol should be illegal (and I'm pretty good at playing devil's advocate), but it isn't that difficult to make the argument against crack or meth. That article gave me something to think about, but I'm skeptical of the claims made. For instance, the article claimed that there is no evidence that meth causes one to become physically unattractive, but photos over a period of time seem to indicate otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here in WA pot has only been made legal at the margins. First of all huge swaths of the states are opting out, which is allowed under law. Most or all of tribal lands opted out. Secondly, the taxes are so high on pot (pun intended) that a black market remains in place even in areas where it is legal.

There was this great letter to the editor in the Tacoma newspaper that argues that we have really just traded one cartel for another. And now that black market dealers are cutting into gov't revenue, we can expect them to be hounded with even greater vigor by police.

POT: Washington is just another cartel | Letters to the Editor - The News Tribune
Is Washington the state that has the state owned liquor stores?

In either case, why would we expect the government not to go after black market dealers? They can make their job easier by letting the suppliers and customers produce, buy, and sell as much as they want and setting a tax rate that is lower than the black market price would be. It's counterproductive to legalize marijuana, but then set the legal price higher than the black market price.

Quote:
So, short of executions, what makes the state of Washington different that any other drug cartel?
Substitute mafia for drug cartel and I agree, but that's always been the case. The government is represented by the voters and while the WA government may be allowed to control the supply, distribution, and price, the WA voters can vote to change that practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 06:55 AM

195 posts, read 154,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think for me, that I do draw the line at the type of drug. I cannot make an argument that marijuana or even alcohol should be illegal (and I'm pretty good at playing devil's advocate), but it isn't that difficult to make the argument against crack or meth. That article gave me something to think about, but I'm skeptical of the claims made. For instance, the article claimed that there is no evidence that meth causes one to become physically unattractive, but photos over a period of time seem to indicate otherwise.

Is Washington the state that has the state owned liquor stores?

In either case, why would we expect the government not to go after black market dealers? They can make their job easier by letting the suppliers and customers produce, buy, and sell as much as they want and setting a tax rate that is lower than the black market price would be. It's counterproductive to legalize marijuana, but then set the legal price higher than the black market price.

Substitute mafia for drug cartel and I agree, but that's always been the case. The government is represented by the voters and while the WA government may be allowed to control the supply, distribution, and price, the WA voters can vote to change that practice.

Hasn't the Governments become the legal Mafia?
If you don't pay the protection money, they will come take it, kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If you don't do what they say, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If you criticize the government or call them names, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If they don't get their cut of your business, they will come take it, kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
After they suggest blackmailing you to get you to do it and you still refuse, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:02 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManassesMomma View Post
Hasn't the Governments become the legal Mafia?
If you don't pay the protection money, they will come take it, kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If you don't do what they say, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If you criticize the government or call them names, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
If they don't get their cut of your business, they will come take it, kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
After they suggest blackmailing you to get you to do it and you still refuse, they will kidnap you, or put a hit out on you.
Is this tongue in cheek? None of this describes the US government. There is no due process involved in the mafia and the American form of government provides numerous protections against abuses.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Default U.S. Marijuana Legalization Weakening Mexican Cartels

The U.S. Drug War brought the rise of the Mexican cartels and legalization could subsequently end their reign as drug traffickers.

Isn't it funny how the times are a changing??

U.S. Legalization Weakening Mexican Cartels

Last week, The Washington Post reported that Marijuana farmers in the Sinaloa region of Mexico have “stopped planting due to a massive drop in wholesale prices, from $100 per kilo down to only $25,†with one farmer saying, “It’s not worth it anymore. I wish the Americans would stop with this legalization.â€

Old 08-07-2014, 09:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stburr91 View Post
This is what concerns me about legalization. The war on drugs has turned the Justice System into a very large monster that needs to be feed. Without the steady stream of Marijuana-related arrests, how are they going to feed this beast. I would much rather have potheads be hassled by the police, than being targeted myself to make up for the loss in arrests if widespread legalization happens.
Wow.

How about we shrink the beast instead of feed it?

Better yet, why not move to a true Police state.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:34 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,504,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
You have seen pictures, this guy has done scientific studies... sometimes there is a correlation, and not a causation in the equation, and this guy in his studies has found correlation, not causation.

If you draw the line at which drug, I can't help you. You simply do not believe in the principle of freedom and self ownership...

[/quote]

Old 08-07-2014, 09:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
You have seen pictures, this guy has done scientific studies... sometimes there is a correlation, and not a causation in the equation, and this guy in his studies has found correlation, not causation.

If you draw the line at which drug, I can't help you. You simply do not believe in the principle of freedom and self ownership...
Freedom and self ownership also means you are on your own when your addiction bites you.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Freedom and self ownership also means you are on your own when your addiction bites you.
Uh yeah. Exactly.

I do not think it is right that money is taken from me by force and given to those people either. If I could end the drug war, I would end any public welfare systems that support their lifestyle as well.

People have the right to make decisions about what they put in their body, but when they make that choice, they bear the responsibility of the choice they made. This is how freedom works.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Uh yeah. Exactly.

I do not think it is right that money is taken from me by force and given to those people either. If I could end the drug war, I would end any public welfare systems that support their lifestyle as well.

People have the right to make decisions about what they put in their body, but when they make that choice, they bear the responsibility of the choice they made. This is how freedom works.
It isn't how it is working now. I agree it is how it should work.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It isn't how it is working now. I agree it is how it should work.
I would argue that we don't have true freedom in this country. Despite all the feel good songs that say so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies