Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 AM

79,908 posts, read 44,332,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post

You don't know what kinds of activism I do in my day to day life, and it is absolutely ridiculous to say that I have to prove that I do activism to talk about how legalization affects drug cartels.
I didn't say you had to prove anything. I'm simply arguing that some would like more concrete solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,509,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I didn't say you had to prove anything. I'm simply arguing that some would like more concrete solutions.
So we can't talk about how legalization affects drug cartels until you are satisfied that a solution to a different problem is found?

Old 08-07-2014, 11:34 AM

1,624 posts, read 2,043,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No it isn't. Not everyone who smokes gets medical MJ. Also, Mexican weed sucks anyway, the good stuff is grown indoors. Who buys the Mexican crap anymore? I'll tell you, the people in the ghetto's.
Mexico has good weed its just that states like Texas keeps it and passes the garbage to other states.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
So we can't talk about how legalization affects drug cartels until you are satisfied that a solution to a different problem is found?
I never asked you to stop. Just don't discount the concerns of others.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:54 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,509,283 times
Quote:
I didn't. I addressed the concern, and linked to further discussion.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:57 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,284,798 times
Quote:
There seems to be 2 possible concerns brought up by another person.

1. If legalized, the cops will focus on other crimes and I might get targeted.
2. If legalized, the state might try and get more money from taxpayers.

I would reply:
1. Of course, the goal is to redirect the tax money towards more productive efforts. If you are stealing cars then the cops should focus on you instead of a pothead. In my state/city, legalization wouldn't change how cops do business. They have enough homicide, rape, and theft to keep them busy.

2. The state is already getting money from you. Unless you live in a state that has decriminalized marijuana you are paying to house potheads and the average cost to house an inmate is $40K. Some states do let you take probation, but some don't and if you don't have the money for probation or an attorney that point is moot anyway.

Take AZ for example, possession is a felony and subject to incarceration for 4-24 months.

Arizona Laws & Penalties

FL will hit you with a felony if you have more than 20 oz and lock you up for up to 5 years.

Florida Laws & Penalties

Old 08-07-2014, 01:33 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,282,138 times
Legalize all dope and be done with it.

Old 08-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
There seems to be 2 possible concerns brought up by another person.

1. If legalized, the cops will focus on other crimes and I might get targeted.
2. If legalized, the state might try and get more money from taxpayers.

I would reply:
1. Of course, the goal is to redirect the tax money towards more productive efforts. If you are stealing cars then the cops should focus on you instead of a pothead. In my state/city, legalization wouldn't change how cops do business. They have enough homicide, rape, and theft to keep them busy.

2. The state is already getting money from you. Unless you live in a state that has decriminalized marijuana you are paying to house potheads and the average cost to house an inmate is $40K. Some states do let you take probation, but some don't and if you don't have the money for probation or an attorney that point is moot anyway.

Take AZ for example, possession is a felony and subject to incarceration for 4-24 months.

Arizona Laws & Penalties

FL will hit you with a felony if you have more than 20 oz and lock you up for up to 5 years.

Florida Laws & Penalties
If one added up the costs of criminalization and subtracted what criminalization brings in I believe the numbers would be a gain for the state and would be a good reply to those with concerns.

Old 08-07-2014, 06:02 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,398,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post

Is Washington the state that has the state owned liquor stores?

In either case, why would we expect the government not to go after black market dealers? They can make their job easier by letting the suppliers and customers produce, buy, and sell as much as they want and setting a tax rate that is lower than the black market price would be. It's counterproductive to legalize marijuana, but then set the legal price higher than the black market price.

Substitute mafia for drug cartel and I agree, but that's always been the case. The government is represented by the voters and while the WA government may be allowed to control the supply, distribution, and price, the WA voters can vote to change that practice.

The state-owned liquor stores were done away with a couple of years ago. The tax rates on MJ were set by the ballot measure, which were ridiculously high (pun intended) in order to mollify public sector unions, in particular police unions. It is not "counterproductive to legalize marijuana, but then set the legal price higher than the black market price" from their perspective. They rake in all that tax revenue, yet still retain their bureaucratic empire devoted to going after black market dealers. It is a win-win for them.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
I wonder if the cartels are fighting back. . .

$50,000 in marijuana stolen from Seattle dispensary | The Today File | Seattle Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies