Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:44 AM

3,147 posts, read 3,503,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm not arguing it's a reason to leave it illegal. I have been clear in my position for legalization but the problems it creates have to be addressed.
Yes, but they are separate issues. The issue being discussed is the legalization of drugs and how it affects drug cartels, not the problem of the growing police state.

A cursory search shows multiple threads about the growing police state and the problems it poses:

Police State: I am the Master, ma'am.

Sobering wake-up call about the realities of the impending police state

Welcome America, to the Police State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Correction, it has been published and other credible scientist find his work to be rather impressive:

Columbia College Today --The Truth Teller: Carl Hart researches drug effects in humans to separate myth from reality

New York Times -- The Rational Choices of Crack Addicts

Let's not forget that Carl Hart is an associate professor at Columbia University.

So yeah, his published, reviewed work does hold A LOT more water than, "I have seen pictures."
I stand corrected, no research was linked in the Forbes article.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Yes, but they are separate issues. The issue being discussed is the legalization of drugs and how it affects drug cartels, not the problem of the growing police state.

A cursory search shows multiple threads about the growing police state and the problems it poses:

Police State: I am the Master, ma'am.

Sobering wake-up call about the realities of the impending police state

Welcome America, to the Police State
I believe you would get more to side with legalization if you addressed their concerns as opposed to dismissing them as not relevant.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I believe you would get more to side with legalization if you addressed their concerns as opposed to dismissing them as not relevant.
Ugh, you are a persistent one.

Are you saying you don't side with legalization now, and I have to "get you to side with it"?

(Again, I do not believe your concern is with legalization, it is a concern about the police state. )

Old 08-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Ugh, you are a persistent one.

Are you saying you don't side with legalization now, and I have to "get you to side with it"?

(Again, I do not believe your concern is with legalization, it is a concern about the police state. )
No, I side with it. I've stated that many times. Others have concerns before doing so and I believe those concerns should be addressed. Maybe legalization can happen without them but it would be easier with them.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
No, I side with it. I've stated that many times. Others have concerns before doing so and I believe those concerns should be addressed. Maybe legalization can happen without them but it would be easier with them.
I DID ADDRESS THOSE CONCERNS.

Again, I specifically addressed them and gave my opinion that those concerns are a symptom of the growing police state (not legalization), then I linked to discussions about the growing police state.

This is not "dismissing concerns as irrelevant",it is addressing them, giving my opinion on them, and linking to further discussion on them.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I DID ADDRESS THOSE CONCERNS.

Again, I specifically addressed them and gave my opinion that those concerns are a symptom of the growing police state (not legalization), then I linked to discussions about the growing police state.
Yes, but for those who do not care if there is legalization or not they are concerned the idea might be to raise property taxes or enact higher income taxes and if that is the case they would rather those who want to smoke pay fines.

Sounds like you would agree that the services these fines support need cut back to address this issue.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Yes, but for those who do not care if there is legalization or not they are concerned the idea might be to raise property taxes or enact higher income taxes and if that is the case they would rather those who want to smoke pay fines.
Those people are lost causes anyway. They don't care about the principle of the issue, they only care about how things affect them personally. These are the kind of people who would argue for slavery before 1850 because they are scared that the cost of cotton would rise.

They are pathetic individuals if they say "a violent gang is demanding pittance, and I am fine with it as long as they threaten other people with violence to extort money, and leave me alone."

Quote:
Sounds like you would agree that the services these fines support need cut back to address this issue.
Again, I already told you this is the case. When I say the growing police state is a problem, the only logical conclusion is that I support shrinking it.

Like I said, I addressed the issue already and linked to further discussion on it.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Those people are lost causes anyway.
I disagree.

Quote:
They don't care about the principle of the issue, they only care about how things affect them personally. These are the kind of people who would argue for slavery before 1850 because they are scared that the cost of cotton would rise.
Or argue they can drive better while stoned?

Quote:
They are pathetic individuals if they say "a violent gang is demanding pittance, and I am fine with it as long as they threaten other people with violence to extort money, and leave me alone."
That isn't the argument.

Quote:
Again, I already told you this is the case. When I say the growing police state is a problem, the only logical conclusion is that I support shrinking it.

Like I said, I addressed the issue already and linked to further discussion on it.
Some want to see real actions.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I disagree.
Ok.

Quote:
Or argue they can drive better while stoned?
Who said they would argue that?

Quote:
That isn't the argument.
I disagree.

Quote:
Some want to see real actions.
You don't know what kinds of activism I do in my day to day life, and it is absolutely ridiculous to say that I have to prove that I do activism to talk about how legalization affects drug cartels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies