Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2014, 03:04 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,669,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
I encourage the T-Baggers to purge their party of all moderates. Oust the Chamber of Commerce RINOs.
Yes! Teabaggers should all carry AR15s to every session of the House of Representatives and demand that their agenda be brought to the floor for a vote. Only Teabaggers are true patriots and true patriots always carry firearms.......everywhere. Especially at political rallies where their presence can make a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 09:07 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Has the GOP gone insane? And if not, at what point or criteria might we safely say it has?

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George asks Jerry, "When does making out turn into sex"? Jerry's response was, "When the nipple first makes it's appearance".

In this case,
I'd say when a Republican Senator sneaks over to the back door of the House of Representatives, after hours and hijacks Republican representatives away from the Caucus and uses them to form a circular firing squad on the rest of the republican House moderates.

When and if that ever happens, we will know that they have turned to cannibalism and are eating their own. A sure sign of complete, total group derangement, similar to the Jim Jones phenomenon. If that happens, then all that will be left of the GOP will be some over inflated, far right, internet bloviators to carry a message composed of bumper sticker jingoism masquerading as policy. Strangely enough, many of those aforementioned bloviators are right here in this thread to bolster the theory.
Luv the Seinfeld analogy (LOL)! Although the current bunch of TP/social conservative/media-driven wingnuts reminds me more of an old-fashioned tent revival, where they drive each other into a frenzy, feverishly "speaking in tongues" (lib-rul elites, feminazis, uppity welfare queens, commies, illegals, muslims, atheists, joos, homa-sek-tchules!), "faith healings" ( "I believe in the Power of the Free Market!"), while casting out "demons" (aka, Big Gubmint, Nobama, Reid, Pelosi, RINO's)!

Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"just watching my own state's Republican insanities are entertaining enough for the moment."

After living in a dem controlled state for over 60 years I could say many things about dems idiocy.
I'll bet you can.

I firmly believe that one-party dominance is the downfall for any state's government in time. Corruption is all to easy to take roots when only one party is in charge for too long or with a majority that is too large.

And neither party is immune from corruption nor craziness. There always has to be a strong minority opposition to keep things working.

Old 08-21-2014, 02:41 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'll bet you can.

I firmly believe that one-party dominance is the downfall for any state's government in time. Corruption is all to easy to take roots when only one party is in charge for too long or with a majority that is too large.

And neither party is immune from corruption nor craziness. There always has to be a strong minority opposition to keep things working.
"I firmly believe that one-party dominance is the downfall for any state's government in time.'

I agree, and will add 1 party control of the Federal gov't.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xboxmas View Post
How about the Democrats who think Bush did 9/11 and not the terrorists?

We don't think Bush did it. but he didn't do anything to stop it after many warnings... the difference is this is true, while most of the rights views are simply not.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:07 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
"I firmly believe that one-party dominance is the downfall for any state's government in time.'

There are rare times when a 1 party control of the government is a good thing. 4 years ago it would have been better. But that time is gone, split government is now preferred.

However....in way too many ways the two parties are becoming the same.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:14 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
We don't think Bush did it. but he didn't do anything to stop it after many warnings... the difference is this is true, while most of the rights views are simply not.
Yeah, the trouble is that the things you think are simply not true the right does think are simply true, and vice versa. The basis of our current huge partisan division is this very outlook - "My side is perfectly sane, the other side is nuts!"

The right for example says, almost verbatim, about Benghazi just what you said about 9/11.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:39 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,298,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Question: Where are you getting this figure that 40% of Republicans are "birthers?" I seriously doubt the accuracy of that claim.

As for Obama's religion, one must ask the question: Why does Obama seem to always praise and show favoritism to, as well as honor Muslims, but never Christians?
I think Obama is not qualified for the job and his policies simply do not work in this country and this economy, but I don't hate the guy. However, I do hate it when people use lies, half-truths, and downright ignorant claims to make their point. Perhaps you have never heard Obama talk about Christianity because the news outlets you consume won't report any of those quotes as it runs counter to the narrative World News Daily, Fox, and Newsmax keep trying to spin.

From the Christmas Tree lighting ceremony in Washington on Dec. 2, 2011:
"More than 2,000 years ago, a child was born to two faithful travelers who could find rest only in a stable, among the cattle and the sheep. But this was not just any child. Christ's birth made the angels rejoice and attracted shepherds and kings from afar. He was a manifestation of God's love for us.

"And he grew up to become a leader with a servant's heart who taught us a message as simple as it is powerful: that we should love God, and love our neighbor as ourselves. That teaching has come to encircle the globe. No matter who we are, or where we come from, or how we worship, it's a message that can unite all of us on this holiday season."

From an Easter Prayer Breakfast on April 19, 2011 at the White House:
"I wanted to host this breakfast for a simple reason -- because as busy as we are, as many tasks as pile up, during this season, we are reminded that there's something about the resurrection -- something about the resurrection of our savior, Jesus Christ, that puts everything else in perspective.

"We all live in the hustle and bustle of our work. And everybody in this room has weighty responsibilities, from leading churches and denominations, to helping to administer important government programs, to shaping our culture in various ways. And I admit that my plate has been full as well. The inbox keeps on accumulating.

"But then comes Holy Week. The triumph of Palm Sunday. The humility of Jesus washing the disciples' feet. His slow march up that hill, and the pain and the scorn and the shame of the cross. And we're reminded that in that moment, he took on the sins of the world -- past, present and future -- and he extended to us that unfathomable gift of grace and salvation through his death and resurrection."

From the National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 3, 2011
"And like all of us, my faith journey has had its twists and turns. It hasn't always been a straight line. I have thanked God for the joys of parenthood and Michelle's willingness to put up with me. In the wake of failures and disappointments I've questioned what God had in store for me and been reminded that God's plans for us may not always match our own short-sighted desires.

"And let me tell you, these past two years, they have deepened my faith. The presidency has a funny way of making a person feel the need to pray. Abe Lincoln said, as many of you know, 'I have been driven to my knees many times by the overwhelming conviction that I had no place else to go.'"

From an Easter Prayer Breakfast on April 6, 2010 at the White House
"For even after the passage of 2,000 years, we can still picture the moment in our mind's eye. The young man from Nazareth marched through Jerusalem; object of scorn and derision and abuse and torture by an empire. The agony of crucifixion amid the cries of thieves. The discovery, just three days later, that would forever alter our world -- that the Son of Man was not to be found in his tomb and that Jesus Christ had risen.

"We are awed by the grace he showed even to those who would have killed him. We are thankful for the sacrifice he gave for the sins of humanity. And we glory in the promise of redemption in the resurrection."

From the National Prayer Breakfast on Feb. 6, 2009
"I was not raised in a particularly religious household. I had a father who was born a Muslim but became an atheist, grandparents who were non-practicing Methodists and Baptists, and a mother who was skeptical of organized religion, even as she was the kindest, most spiritual person I've ever known. She was the one who taught me as a child to love, and to understand, and to do unto others as I would want done.

"I didn't become a Christian until many years later, when I moved to the South Side of Chicago after college. It happened not because of indoctrination or a sudden revelation, but because I spent month after month working with church folks who simply wanted to help neighbors who were down on their luck no matter what they looked like, or where they came from, or who they prayed to. It was on those streets, in those neighborhoods, that I first heard God's spirit beckon me. It was there that I felt called to a higher purpose -- His purpose."

Old 08-21-2014, 04:19 PM

604 posts, read 935,023 times
How old were you folks when you dropped out of high school?

Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Quote:

True, and all the more reason the opposition party needs to be perceived as reasonably credible, or at least something other than "cuckoo for cocoa puffs".

GOP Seen By Majority of Voters as Principled, But Out of Touch and Too Extreme | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies