Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
A frequent evasion by those who do that which warrants accusation.

So you start right out making clear that your comments have no integrity given that I've already highlighted how the "view" I'm presenting is far more widely endorsed than the corrupt, self-centered claptrap you've brought to us from the right-wing echo chamber. Let us know when you're willing to discuss the issue with honesty - when you're willing to recognize that the world has standards that you are driven to deny in your own selfish interest - when you're finally able to see the antisocial nature of what you support.
Are you REALLY going to claim ALL of YOUR posts are NOT left BIASED?

NO ONE would believe such a claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:21 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Pretty sure we don't agree on much else, but I think this comment is spot-on correct.
There are indeed correct answers to be found on both political sides - the proportion varies greatly by subject - but it is one of the fundamental reasons that our government is structured the way it is. Compromise is not a bad thing when intelligent people are doing it (note that the caveat allows me to rule out most of Congress! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
^ ^ Although regardless whether both sides do believe that, one of them might actually be correct
• "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy." - Jon Huntsman, GOP presidential candidate

"When Did the GOP Lose Touch With Reality?" – David Frum, former speechwriter for George W. Bush

• "We've got to stop being the stupid party. It's time for a new Republican Party that talks like adults." – Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal
Yeah, the trouble is that the press doesn't report on Democrats calling their party stupid, giving many people a very lopsided view of politics. There is plenty of stupidity to go around in both major parties. Finding quotes of Republicans criticizing some of the excesses of the GOP is not hard - you can even find me criticizing them and some of their positions, in threads on this very forum.

The problem comes when a Democrat (or liberal, or progressive, whatever) simply concludes that anything stupid must be coming from the other party, and insists that this is TRUTH, and all the bad stuff about Dems is all Fox spin or something. I have known many who viewed the world this way, two notable examples were people I know who were very surprised when they learned that Rod Blagojevich and Hank Johnson were Democrats.

Incidentally, I believe in the science of evolution and many aspects of the science of global warming - in the latter case, my main disagreement is with the validity of long term predictions made and the political conclusions drawn from those predictions. Many conservatives agree on these issues - you just never hear about it because spinning up some creationist into a whacko makes for better news copy.

David Frum.... well, wouldn't working for Bush be enough to make anyone come unglued? Frum is not a conservative by any measure, I doubt very much he ever was.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:57 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,462,476 times
Ah, the old "blame it on the lib-rul media" myth!
"GOP strategist William Kristol also reveals another reason: "I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures."

In unguarded moments, however, even far-right figures like Pat Buchanan come clean: "The truth is, I've gotten fairer, more comprehensive coverage of my ideas than I ever imagined I would receive." He further conceded: "I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage -- all we could have asked… For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that."

And about those "wacko creationists" that even you admit to, are they "lib-rul" too ('cuz wacko or no, y'all still benefit from their vote, yes)? The point being, just who and how many of these "wackos" does it take before it's time to go, "Houston, we might have a problem"?

Like Rep. Paul Broun here (an MD, who sits on the House Science Committee no less!), who famously says that Evolution, Embryology, and the Big Bang Theory are "Lies from the Pit of Hell"?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBy3MbP4WDo

Old 08-22-2014, 10:15 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,243,976 times
It's not insane, just 100% corrupt. Like the Democrat Party.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:42 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
Not at all.
No one expects you to admit the truth. You'll deny deny deny and post long-winded and vacuous dodges trying to rationalize the corruption you prefer. Like I said, the argument is over. All that's left is seeing how long you're going to sit there trying to rationalize the indefensible - how long you're going to make up childish retorts and try to squirm out of being accountable for the self-centered perspective you support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
NO ONE would believe such a claim.
I've made very clear that my comments place morality over more petty concerns. Unlike right-wingers, I post with integrity and honesty about the basis of what I support rather than trying to engage in the silly games prosopis engages in to try to deny the corrupt nature of the "practicality" myopia that prosopis uses to dupe himself into wishing away the reality of moral considerations.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 AM

Quote:
No one expects you to admit the truth. You'll deny deny deny and post long-winded and vacuous dodges trying to rationalize the corruption you prefer. Like I said, the argument is over. All that's left is seeing how long you're going to sit there trying to rationalize the indefensible - how long you're going to make up childish retorts and try to squirm out of being accountable for the self-centered perspective you support.
If the argument is over, feel free to abandon it. I will not.

Ok smarto, show me that it is indefensible. I have encouraged you to do so repeatedly and you come back with nothing but the usual Occupy cant. There are valid arguments to be made supporting your view - you are simply too lazy to think about what they might be and write them out in a convincing way. You have nothing, I merely demonstrate it.

Quote:
I've made very clear that my comments place morality over more petty concerns. Unlike right-wingers, I post with integrity and honesty about the basis of what I support rather than trying to engage in the silly games prosopis engages in to try to deny the corrupt nature of the "practicality" myopia that prosopis uses to dupe himself into wishing away the reality of moral considerations.
You have stated this clearly, you have not backed it up with either convincing arguments or supporting evidence. You also completely ignore opportunities to make criticisms of substance regarding specific examples that I have given you. A person who completely dismisses practicality must live in their mom's basement or something, because those of us out in the adult world understand that compromises must be made and that standing on a pedestal of moral indignation is a lonely, hungry place. Your boss fires you, your wife get's tried of listening to you, your only friends are those calling to you from similar pedestals. It's quite pathetic to see.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:43 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
They jumped the shark back in the Clinton days. Since then, the psychosis has deepened.
yes if only we'd give in and then expand things like welfare to everyone, we can all get to the bottom faster like you guys want to happen..

Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
They have gone insane

Mitch McConnell Reaffirms His Top Priority To Limit Barack Obama To One Term - YouTube

Obama will never get any help from the right on anything
Why should the right wingers help Obama with failure?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Ah, the old "blame it on the lib-rul media" myth!
"GOP strategist William Kristol also reveals another reason: "I admit it: the liberal media were never that powerful, and the whole thing was often used as an excuse by conservatives for conservative failures."

In unguarded moments, however, even far-right figures like Pat Buchanan come clean: "The truth is, I've gotten fairer, more comprehensive coverage of my ideas than I ever imagined I would receive." He further conceded: "I've gotten balanced coverage and broad coverage -- all we could have asked… For heaven sakes, we kid about the liberal media, but every Republican on earth does that."

And about those "wacko creationists" that even you admit to, are they "lib-rul" too ('cuz wacko or no, y'all still benefit from their vote, yes)? The point being, just who and how many of these "wackos" does it take before it's time to go, "Houston, we might have a problem"?

Like Rep. Paul Broun here (an MD, who sits on the House Science Committee no less!), who famously says that Evolution, Embryology, and the Big Bang Theory are "Lies from the Pit of Hell"?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBy3MbP4WDo
You are quite correct that the media is anything but unified in voice, and still has many reporters and columnists who make an effort to be fair and impartial. I find that number to have shrunk in my lifetime, but that may just be cynicism.

I don't really follow you on the creationists. Try explaining yourself clearly without the snark.

My point was that for all the genuine nuts we have - Broun being an example - we also have a lot of normal, evidence based, clear thinkers. I will be happy to provide you with examples should you not know any of them, but given your proclivity for quoting Republicans saying things with which you agree, I can only assume your blindness to common sense in the GOP is a choice you've made.

Why focus on some of the nuttier members of your political foes? Because it provides you with a nice excuse to never, ever compromise. The right does the same thing for the very same reason - they draw attention to corrupt guys like Blagojevich, idiots like Hank Johnson, and gun controlers who clearly do not understand the simple mechanics of what they attempt to regulate.

The point to have taken away was not that I'm willing to overlook some of the nuttier behavior in the GOP - I do that with the Dem's too, trying to criticize the substantial stuff, not the nutty stuff. The point to take away was that there is plenty of foolishness to be found in both parties and that anyone fixating on it in just one party is indulging in a skewed view of our political reality.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:08 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,711,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
If the argument is over, feel free to abandon it. I will not.
You're not reading what you're replying to. I already said the argument is over and so all that's left is seeing how long you're going to sit there trying to rationalize the indefensible - how long you're going to make up childish retorts and try to squirm out of being accountable for the self-centered perspective you support. What abortion of "logic" gave you the idea that that has anything to do with abandoning anything. It's a matter of not allowing the vacuous self-centeredness to be promoted with impunity.

You advocate for self-centeredness.

It's immoral.

What part of that didn't you understand?

What makes you think that spewing back-handed insults about where you claim I live and what you claim the state of my marriage is does anything other than reinforce the condemnation of your ridiculously egoistic claptrap? The willingness to spew such childish insinuations to try to distract attention away from the righteous condemnation of what they advocate for is a clear indication that corruption is supported only with corruption - juvenile, self-centered corruption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies