Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,037,668 times

Advertisements

Who cares? Take your wadded panties and business elsewhere.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:00 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess civil rights leaders should have just accepted Jim Crow laws.
Didn't they use the same methods that the gay citizens are? Boycotts, marches, a movement to change the hearts and minds of Americans. It worked. This will too. Day by day, people are accepting that gay people are people first...just as we came to understand that black people, disabled people and female people are all people first and should be treated with equality.

You want businesses to be able to discriminate? Get busy protesting to make it so. Meanwhile...

Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I just don't see the benefit to society overall with the new attitude of "your personal beliefs must match ours or we will destroy your business."
It depends on what kind of society you want.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillager View Post
Nonsense. This isn't even a comparison... apples to oranges. A Muslim market refusing to serve a non-Muslim would be a more accurate comparison.
The example is quite apt. It is against a Moslem's belief to even touch pork. It is against a Christian's (and Moslem's) beliefs to sanction homosexual behavior.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:14 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
I am from PA, and a lot of times, I'm completely embarrassed by the people who live here, but as in everything else, that is changing.

Years ago, PA was a huge hub for religious sectors, settleing....lilke for instance, the town I'm from, back in the days of my foster mother's generation, I was told the people in my small town hated catholics.....why I don't know, but they changed their religion to luthern, due to that.

Also, every Wed. afternoon, all the businesses, closed down for Church....

We had a huge conglomeration of religions in town, including Jewish, Quakers and Amish....soon all the Amish migrated to Lancaster....but Quakers were pretty dominant in that town.

So, the state has a set of laws, old fashioned laws that are called Blue Laws...and their fare share of religions....

I'm so sorry to say this, but I've known people who go to church every week, and yet, during the week, in their business rape people and one woman in particular who is extremely evil, and yet, goes to church every week.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make, is, that it is fastly changing now with newer generations moving in...thank God....

there is good and bad in all things, and some of those blue laws were good at the time, but PA is still struggling with a lot of those ol fashioned laws and beliefs....

It is pathetic when people use religion to hate others...or to be vindictive or rape people financially, but they do, I have seen it...and been a victim of it....several times, and is why I moved out of that town.

I'm not making excuses for people treating gays like this....I'm just saying why? the older folks have some very old fashioned ideas and beliefs....and use religion to exhibit hatred.

I don't care if a person is gay, or blue or whatever....that is between them and their God....however, to be down right mean to them, b/c of their sexual prefrence is wrong from where I stand.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I know - I am a business owner and I refuse to serve jews. Those nasty people can find some other jew lovers to do their personal business. I also refuse blacks, mexicans and the disabled. I'm glad there are others that think like me!

BTW, I am not being serious but showing you how you are coming across. Maybe you agree. So be it. If not, think about your words...
It is not against a Christian's belief to do business with a Jew, a black, a Mexican or a disabled person. It is against a Christian's beliefs to sanction homosexual behavior.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:25 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,250,687 times
thats exactly what it is. just like the bakery that went of business and the CEO of mozilla getting ousted from his job. Homosexuals are just that, attention seeking drama whores who think the world revolves around them. If progressives really believe in free speech and live and let live, they need to take their own advice.

Go ahead, run me out of town now because I do not conform to the majority of braid dead sheep thought collective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
One question: Is this the only bridal shop in town or within driving distance? If no, then it's an attention-grabbing politically-motivated stunt where the end goal is destruction of a business who's owners have a different worldview than the actors here and thus must be punished as they attempt to "normalize" their chosen lifestyle.

Disgusting.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:39 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I respectfully disagree with you.

The Federal Civil Rights Act guarantees all people the right to "full and equal enjoyment of the goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, and accommodations of any place of public accommodation, without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin."

I am just curious, what is your definition of "discrimination" then?
Right. Neither the feds nor the government of PA has seen fit to prohibit businesses from discriminating based on sexual orientation. Unlike the cases in other states where that is illegal, this business didn't break any law.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:46 AM

39,223 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Right. Neither the feds nor the government of PA has seen fit to prohibit businesses from discriminating based on sexual orientation. Unlike the cases in other states where that is illegal, this business didn't break any law.
I didn't suggest that this business broke any law.

I was simply asking a question "What is discrimination then?" You cannot discriminate against a person based on her sexual orientation and get upset for her to voice her opinion by publicize the discrimination.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 08-11-2014 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 07:25 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,948,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What if a bridal shop refused to sell a gown to a cross-dressing man? Especially if they had to do alterations on it? I could understand why a very traditional minded seamstress might be very uncomfortable dressing a man.

If there were indeed two bridal shops to choose from in this town, I don't see what the big deal here is. That lesbian couple could have gone to the other shop for a dress. Why force the issue? Gay marriage acceptance is such a new concept and it hurts their cause to force feed it to those still not comfortable with it.
I find this immensely humorous coming from a devout atheist. You do realize that if every business that has owners/shareholders that believed in a deity decided to refuse service to you because they find atheists abhorrent, and a lot of them do, you'd probably starve to death, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies