Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,411,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Voters DO blame Congress. Haven't you seen their approval polls? Historically low job approval rating of 13%, according to Gallup.
And this translates into election results how?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 05:44 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
To say that people are blaming Obama for things that are the House and Senate's to deal with is a generalization without much meaning without examples.
Sure, how about:

Obama should cut taxes
Obamas budget defict

are two great examples. Obama is not the one responsible for either of those. He doesn't set the budget, he does get to suggest one....which is then promptly ignored.

Old 08-13-2014, 05:59 PM

21,481 posts, read 10,588,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
And this is a perfect example of what I am talking about.

OMG Obama called them names. What are they? 5?

You're blaming him for their failure to perform their job.
The same can be said against Democrats - OMG someone said they want to make Obama a one-term president? So what! It's not like he's the first president to have a hostile opposing party. Reagan did as well, but yet he still was able to work with the other side to get things done. It's called doing the basics of what politicians should do - reach out to members of congress and actually schmooze with them every once in a while. Obama doesn't seem to like politicians, even of his own party, so he hasn't built the type of relationships necessary to get the parties together. I think it's part of the job description though.

Obama is supposed to be the leader, and he has a divided congress. It's up to him to bring the two sides together on things. I've never heard Obama talk half as bad about Islamic terrorists as he has about House Republicans, and sadly that's not an exaggeration. I'm not denying that Obama has been tough on terrorists with his drone strikes (ineffective though), but the language he uses is appeasement or downplaying instead of calling it like it really is. Maybe I'm wrong on that count since I try not to listen to his endless speeches, but I do read transcripts and so far haven't seen too much in the way of tough language against Islamic terrorists.

House Republicans, on the other hand... His aide said they weren't going to negotiate with terrorists with a bomb strapped to their chest (i.e., Republicans on debt ceiling negotiations). Obama has accused them of wanting to throw Granny off a cliff, of wanting dirty air and dirty water, etc. Some of the comments were perhaps deserved, while others were definitely strawman arguments, but just once I'd like to hear Obama get as passionately pissed off at Islamic terrorists killing people in Iraq or Somalia or Libya as he does at the Republicans during debt ceiling negotiations. It's beyond irritating.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,057,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Obama has been antagonist towards the other side of the political aisle, refusing to compromise, calling Republicans names, whining like a child in the press about them. Obama is the leader of the country and is supposed to, and campaigned on the promise he would, bring the parties together. He has failed miserably.
^This. Seriously, how can you deny this is exactly what's happened?

Additionally, it may also be blowback from the incessant Bush-bashing that went on for years (and still is amazingly!) You know the saying... don't dish it out if you can't take it.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:02 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:
Read whats said here. Roughly 90% of the complaints about Obama are actually things the House and Senate are responsible for.
So? Reid does what Obama tells him to do, which is to insulate him from having to make any decisions.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,974,506 times
Quote:

are two great examples. Obama is not the one responsible for either of those. He doesn't set the budget, he does get to suggest one....which is then promptly ignored.
Of course Obama is to blame. Reid makes sure anything Obama wants goes through the Senate. He also makes sure anything Obama doesn't want never gets a vote in the Senate.

Thus, this is NOT anyone but Reid's and Obama's fault.

And since Reid obeys Obama, blame Obama.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:08 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,798 times
Quote:
I see post after post blaming Obama for things that are the responsibility of the House and Senate.

Its almost like folks do not understand how our government works. The president does have some very specific powers, but by far those aren't the things being complained about, but rather everyone seems intent on blaming Obama for things that the Senate and House are responsible for.

And looking back, this was true for Bush, Reagen, and Clinton. Its like they scapegoat presidents for their lack of competence.
Obama is just a puppet for the moneyed interests.
As long as our government is for sale nothing will change.

Old 08-13-2014, 06:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times
Quote:
Sure, how about:

Obama should cut taxes
I do not recall anyone claiming Obama can cut taxes.

Quote:
Obamas budget defict
What about them? He is constantly arguing for more money.

Quote:
Unanimously which means they werent serious. He is suppose to submit a serious effort at a budget.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Of course Obama is to blame. Reid makes sure anything Obama wants goes through the Senate. He also makes sure anything Obama doesn't want never gets a vote in the Senate.

Thus, this is NOT anyone but Reid's and Obama's fault.

And since Reid obeys Obama, blame Obama.
Oh please. Soooo Obama mind controls Harry Reid? Got it.

All I see is more Obama Derangement Syndrome in this thread. And Boehner doesn't do the same thing?

Come on, lets be honest, the House and the Senate are not doing their jobs.

Old 08-13-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not recall anyone claiming Obama can cut taxes.
I assure you theres plenty of posts about what Obama should have done, and I've replied to this EXACT topic today.

Quote:
What about them? He is constantly arguing for more money.
So? He doesnt decide the budget...

Quote:
Unanimously which means they werent serious. He is suppose to submit a serious effort at a budget.
LOL, Please. Go read his budgets, they are in fact serious efforts. The thing is the House and Senate want to set the exact budget, none of them care about the presidents priority's are on a budget, THEY get to decide them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies