Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,037,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
He should move to mid-Michigan......we love him.
Strange comment. Doesn't matter what side you are on in this, I don't think
anyone can say they "love" what Wilson did.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:06 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,700,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I did not know that. I thought cops could shoot to wound, and only used lethal force if
necessary. So, you are saying, every time a police officer shoots his weapon, it is to shoot to kill, e.g. three shots to the chest, then if criminal does not warrant deadly force, should not they pick another weapon?

Nobody ever shoots to wound. That simply does not happen in real life. If you shoot to wound, you were never in that much danger to begin with, at least that is what the legal argument would be and you would get buried and likely end up in jail. I've been in the military and taking several firearms courses, you always shoot center mass, aim right for the center and you are taught to keep firing until the threat has been stopped. If the police officer hit Brown several times and he still kept coming, then the correct response was to keep shooting until Brown wasn't moving towards him anymore.

Quote:
Grab that Taser or baton first then. Especially if the perpetrator does not have a WEAPON.

The perpetrator not having a weapon is meaningless. If you beat someone unconscious with your fists, you'll be still be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon." Your body can be a deadly weapon and if you charge a police officer, armed or unarmed, the police officer has the right to start shooting.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:08 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if he committed 150 crimes. Even if he was a previous ax murderer, you wouldn't shoot him dead, if he wasn't carrying an ax....No reason to shoot an unarmed suspect dead.
We do have protocol and rule of law in this country.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:09 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,700,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
They just might be killed with their own gun.

This too!! If you try to get cute and wing someone and you miss, they are closing that distance on you very rapidly and if you get overwhelmed, you might be the one ending up getting shot. I don't think a lot of people comprehend just how fast someone can close ground on you from 20-40 feet away.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:11 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter if he committed 150 crimes. Even if he was a previous ax murderer, you wouldn't shoot him dead, if he wasn't carrying an ax....No reason to shoot an unarmed suspect dead.
We do have protocol and rule of law in this country.
And that applies to everyone, not just cops.

If he just stood there he might be alive today.

1,723 posts, read 2,230,830 times
I read demonstrators tried to block a street with cinder blocks? Cars work better. Especially flaming ones. Or, cars, which will eventually flame, then sandbags and then cinder blocks filled with concrete.

20,300 posts, read 22,263,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Does not matter, it is what Brown did next, committed another crime and then an assault on a police officer and the evidence is showing the cop is telling the truth. What happened next simply reinforces the fact that Brown was a thug that felt he could push others around using his size and we know he attacked the cop, did not work for him this time. Ask me if I care, sick of people trying to make it look as if he was some innocent victim of the evil police. From what I can tell is the big mistake the cop made was not to have his gun drawn already when he approached the perp, that Police Depart needs to get some cameras unless they want more problems such as this.
Agreed. I would like to see it mandatory that cops must always be on camera while on duty. This will eliminate the false charges of abuse. It will also force cops to think about their own actions.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:12 PM

18,665 posts, read 20,011,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The head and the chest ? Baden said the head and the arm.

I'd say the WaPo source has it wrong, or time for Baden and the other guy to retire.
If the locals are covering up, it will be the top of the head shot Baden indicated that they conceal. Since Brown was 6'4", short of Wilson being 6'8" or taller, there is no way that headshot could traject down, leaving at the clavicle as Baden indicates, unless the suspect were crouched or kneeling, at a head height several inches , or more, below the cop.

This was well covered by medical experts on CNN today..

656 posts, read 1,359,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Nobody ever shoots to wound. That simply does not happen in real life. If you shoot to wound, you were never in that much danger to begin with, at least that is what the legal argument would be and you would get buried and likely end up in jail. I've been in the military and taking several firearms courses, you always shoot center mass, aim right for the center and you are taught to keep firing until the threat has been stopped. If the police officer hit Brown several times and he still kept coming, then the correct response was to keep shooting until Brown wasn't moving towards him anymore.

The perpetrator not having a weapon is meaningless. If you beat someone unconscious with your fists, you'll be still be charged with "assault with a deadly weapon." Your body can be a deadly weapon and if you charge a police officer, armed or unarmed, the police officer has the right to start shooting.
Finally someone who gets it. This isn't Hollywood police don't shoot the gun out of the bad guys hand. If you assault a cop you have a very good chance of your life ending that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

86,052 posts, read 84,664,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This too!! If you try to get cute and wing someone and you miss, they are closing that distance on you very rapidly and if you get overwhelmed, you might be the one ending up getting shot. I don't think a lot of people comprehend just how fast someone can close ground on you from 20-40 feet away.
These people that feel you need to just wound might have a different story if someone broke into their house and they had to use a gun. Will their first thought be to shoot him in the foot ?
Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies